• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

A Leman

How do you orient corners when they aren't oriented correctly?

left-right sunes like RU2R'U'RU'R'L'U2LUL'UL
Commutators like RU'R'URU'R' D RUR'U'RUR' D'
and special algs like
RU'L'UR'U'RUR'U'LURU'R'U and
RU2RU2RUR'UR2UR'UR2UR'U

etshy

YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm getting into MegaBLD , so for the MegaBLD guys out there , how do you adjust your lettering schema ? do you use more letters ( greek ,,,etc ) or do you use 2 letter based System ( AA , AB ,... etc ) ? and if not , then what is the best way in your opinion ?
also , are you using 3 cycle method or 2+2 swap method ( one piece at a time ) ?

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm getting into MegaBLD , so for the MegaBLD guys out there , how do you adjust your lettering schema ? do you use more letters ( greek ,,,etc ) or do you use 2 letter based System ( AA , AB ,... etc ) ? and if not , then what is the best way in your opinion ?
also , are you using 3 cycle method or 2+2 swap method ( one piece at a time ) ?

I use a 2-letter-based system. But I recommend more letters; I think that is clearly the best way if you can handle it. I've chosen to use an inferior method because I don't want to mess up my cube solving along the way.

I definitely think 3-cycles are worth the trouble if you're going to spend a while doing it; setups are harder, but not all that much more so. I did one piece at a time for quite a while, but have switched back to 3-cycle because it's really quite reasonable to do. I have buffer piece and first extra location on top, then third piece right below it somewhere; you can eventually develop an order for doing this that works pretty well in most cases. It does take more practice to get good at 3-cycles, though.

I actually went to orient-permute for a while, but I definitely gave that up when I started going for gigaminx, since it's not all that helpful there because of all the centers.

etshy

YouTube
Visit Channel
I use a 2-letter-based system. But I recommend more letters; I think that is clearly the best way if you can handle it. I've chosen to use an inferior method because I don't want to mess up my cube solving along the way.

I definitely think 3-cycles are worth the trouble if you're going to spend a while doing it; setups are harder, but not all that much more so. I did one piece at a time for quite a while, but have switched back to 3-cycle because it's really quite reasonable to do. I have buffer piece and first extra location on top, then third piece right below it somewhere; you can eventually develop an order for doing this that works pretty well in most cases. It does take more practice to get good at 3-cycles, though.

I actually went to orient-permute for a while, but I definitely gave that up when I started going for gigaminx, since it's not all that helpful there because of all the centers.

thanks a lot :)
I think I will use more letters as you mentioned , and I will do my best to try the 3 cycle method , if not I will switch to 1 piece at a time :)
this will gonna take a while, to get familiar with the new schema and new setup moves , but I'm really excited about it :)

A Leman

Hello. I made my system based on 2 letters describing a single target. A 60^2=3600 image system seemed like way to much work for me for many reasons. I came up with the letters for edges based on the colors on the edge piece. The target would be the first letter and the second color would be the other color on the piece.
so
B=Blue
W=White
Y=Yellow
L=Lime
P=Pink
R=Red
V=Violet
O=Orange
S=Silver
T=Tan
G=Green
A=Aqua
For corners, I labeled every Piece from A-T(since there are 20 corners) and would put the color letter or the target in front of that.

so the Lime target on the I piece=LI=LIon.

It may seem too simple, but it was very effortless and it did not require that much effort to learn.

I used Turbo algs from a Megaminx ELL page for edges, but that was too much work to think about so I am looking into how to get good a 1 piece at a time method, in particular, setups to each side of a Turbo case so I have a easier method to fall back on. Corners setups are tough but, straightforward with commutators so I use that.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

etshy

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello. I made my system based on 2 letters describing a single target. A 60^2=3600 image system seemed like way to much work for me for many reasons. I came up with the letters for edges based on the colors on the edge piece. The target would be the first letter and the second color would be the other color on the piece.
so
B=Blue
W=White
Y=Yellow
L=Lime
P=Pink
R=Red
V=Violet
O=Orange
S=Silver
T=Tan
G=Green
A=Aqua
For corners, I labeled every Piece from A-T(since there are 20 corners) and would put the color letter or the target in front of that.

so the Lime target on the I piece=LI=LIon.

It may seem too simple, but it was very effortless and it did not require that much effort to learn.

I used Turbo algs from a Megaminx ELL page for edges, but that was too much work to think about so I am looking into how to get good a 1 piece at a time method, in particular, setups to each side of a Turbo case so I have a easier method to fall back on. Corners setups are tough but, straightforward with commutators so I use that.

Good Luck!

this lettering schema is actually very simple and very easy to learn , I guess I will give it a try , thanks a lot :)

as for the actual solving , this morning I tried the one piece at a time with the X-PLL on edges and corners , setup moves are fairly easy , I guess that if someone is familiar with the majority of the setup moves could get a fairly decent times , but I will try 3 cycle as well and see which one I will be comfortable with :)

thank you both a lot :)

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel

Heh - I guess I didn't think a lot about how many images that really is. I noticed someone else here (bobthegiraffemonkey, perhaps?) mentioned that he used single letters, so that's why I suggested it. It is rather daunting-looking, isn't it?

Colors doesn't work very well for gigaminx, by the way - 5 center pieces of each type per color. :(

For 3-cycle, make sure you set up one piece to the top, the other off the top. You can easily use any of the other 4 positions on the top to set up to, so it's really not all that hard - you just have to make sure you don't move your other piece when setting that piece up (that's probably the hardest part). Sometimes you can't help but move the other pieces around, though, for a few bad cases - those are the worst.

Last edited:

Gordon

WCA
2014LAZA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
There was a point accordint stopping the timer and taking off the blindfold starting here.

I have an additional question to that.

What if I stop the timer, take off my blindfold and see that the time is still running because I didn't stop the timer correctly and stop it then.
DNF or only lost some time?

Username

WCA
2013JOKI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
There was a point accordint stopping the timer and taking off the blindfold starting here.

I have an additional question to that.

What if I stop the timer, take off my blindfold and see that the time is still running because I didn't stop the timer correctly and stop it then.
DNF or only lost some time?

Lost time, because if you doesn't stop the timer if you try to, it doesn't count as stopping the timer.