• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Ollie

WCA
2012FROS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Depends how fast your edges are...

Yeah, I should've seen that coming :p It's slightly harder to measure in a way, because memo and execution occur at the start and the end of the solve respectively. I know my weakness lies in solving corners so I'm speed-optimizing all my cycles and measuring memo+execution on the corners only feature on qqTimer, because it's easier to see progress.

piece popper

I am just starting to learn how to BLD, and I can solve the edges. But the thing I have the problem with is the corners. I barely know any corner setups. Does anyone know a good corner tutorial?

Zane_C

Premium Member
WCA
2010CARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I am just starting to learn how to BLD, and I can solve the edges. But the thing I have the problem with is the corners. I barely know any corner setups. Does anyone know a good corner tutorial?
This isn't a tutorial like you asked for, but here are the setups for Old Pochmann (with UBL buffer, always setting up corners to RFD). For this, the first and last F moves have been taken off the y-perm, so it looks like this: R U' R' U' R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R

UBR = L-perm or R D' (Y-perm) D R'
UFR = F (Y-perm) F'
UFL = F R' (Y-perm) R F'
FLU = F' D (Y-perm) D' F
FRU = R2 D' (Y-perm) D R2
FRD = R F (Y-perm) F' R'
FLD = D (Y-perm) D'
LFU = F2 (Y-perm) F2
LFD = D2 R (Y-perm) R' D2
LBD = D2 (Y-perm) D2
BUR = R' F (Y-perm) F' R
BDL = D' R (Y-perm) R' D
BDR = D' (Y-perm) D
RUF = R' (Y-perm) R
RUB = R2 (Y-perm) R2
RDB = R (Y-perm) R'
RDF = Y-perm
DFL = F' (Y-perm) F
DFR = F' R' (Y-perm) R F
DBR = R2 F (Y-perm) F' R2
DBL = D F' (Y-perm) F D'

Moops

WCA
2012MANN01
Cancellations in U perms? I totally understand how it works but get completely baffled when trying to work them into a blindsolve.

With cycles like UF->UR->BL and UF->UR->DL I can see I can solve them with a U Perm but I don't want to waste any moves. Any suggestions on how to get a better grasp on this?

Noahaha

blindmod
WCA
2012ARTH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Cancellations in U perms? I totally understand how it works but get completely baffled when trying to work them into a blindsolve.

With cycles like UF->UR->BL and UF->UR->DL I can see I can solve them with a U Perm but I don't want to waste any moves. Any suggestions on how to get a better grasp on this?

I tend to do cases like that by setting up to a five-mover.

UF->UR->BL = x' R U' M' U2 M U' R' x

If you're totally bent on using a U-perm, the best way to do it is to write down your U-perm alg without the initial R/R'/R2 move and learn that cold, so that then you can set up to whatever you want to. Similar to learning Y-perm without the Fs and then without the R.

Xishem

WCA
2011BOUL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I knew how to do 4BLD a long time ago, but can't remember my exact method for dealing with parity.

What's the best (or any) way to deal with parity if you solve corners -> centers -> edges, using old pochmann for corners and commutators for centers/edges?

Noahaha

blindmod
WCA
2012ARTH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I knew how to do 4BLD a long time ago, but can't remember my exact method for dealing with parity.

What's the best (or any) way to deal with parity if you solve corners -> centers -> edges, using old pochmann for corners and commutators for centers/edges?

Edge parity: Use l' U2 l' U2 F2 l' F2 r U2 r' U2 l2 (or the mirror) to swap the last two edges.
Corner parity: Use a PLL + a PLL parity to solve the last corner.

Don't forget that you can't do either of these until after you have solved the centers.

Xishem

WCA
2011BOUL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Edge parity: Use l' U2 l' U2 F2 l' F2 r U2 r' U2 l2 (or the mirror) to swap the last two edges.
Corner parity: Use a PLL + a PLL parity to solve the last corner.

Don't forget that you can't do either of these until after you have solved the centers.

To deal with corner parity, would something like this work?

1) If there is parity, then after solving corners, shoot to URB.
2) Go on to solve centers and edges, and once edges are fully solved. Swap front and back edge pairs using r2 U2 r2 u2 r2 U2 u2, then do y, T-Perm.

Noahaha

blindmod
WCA
2012ARTH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
To deal with corner parity, would something like this work?

1) If there is parity, then after solving corners, shoot to URB.
2) Go on to solve centers and edges, and once edges are fully solved. Swap front and back edge pairs using r2 U2 r2 u2 r2 U2 u2, then do y, T-Perm.

Yes that would work, but Y-perms rotate centers as well. If you are bent on doing corners before centers AND using Y-perms, then when you get a multiple of 4 Y-perms you're fine, but if you end up doing a non-multiple of 4 number of Y-perms do two extra ones to bring the centers back to the right positions.

Xishem

WCA
2011BOUL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes that would work, but Y-perms rotate centers as well. If you are bent on doing corners before centers AND using Y-perms, then when you get a multiple of 4 Y-perms you're fine, but if you end up doing a non-multiple of 4 number of Y-perms do two extra ones to bring the centers back to the right positions.

Ah, right. I remember that now. Well, the reason I do corners first is because I memorize them last with audio memorization, but it wouldn't be so bad to throw on an extra 3-5 images for big cubes.

So...

Solve centers -> solve corners -> If parity, shoot to URB -> PLL parity -> y T-Perm y' -> Solve wings?

Noahaha

blindmod
WCA
2012ARTH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
One answer BLD question thread blind

Ah, right. I remember that now. Well, the reason I do corners first is because I memorize them last with audio memorization, but it wouldn't be so bad to throw on an extra 3-5 images for big cubes.

So...

Solve centers -> solve corners -> If parity, shoot to URB -> PLL parity -> y T-Perm y' -> Solve wings?

Yeah.

Xishem

WCA
2011BOUL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
That won't do. It does UF > RU > LB.
For that case I use z' [L', U' M2 U] z.
In fact, I don't like RU-generated threecycles, because there is no logic in them, you need to learn them, as opposed to commutators. Also you cannot expand these algs for wings' threecycles.

Just looks like a setup into a standard M' U2 M U2 commutator with some cancellations. It certainly has logic in that sense -- but you're still right that it won't transfer to wings.

DrKorbin

WCA
2011GRIT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just looks like a setup into a standard M' U2 M U2 commutator with some cancellations. It certainly has logic in that sense -- but you're still right that it won't transfer to wings.
I said RU-generated algs have no logic. I meant something like "U2 R' U' R' U' R U R U R U". It is U2 R' + U-perm + R U2 with cancelations, but you still need learn this alg.