• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Cubenovice

Forever Slow
How do big cube BLD solvers memorize centers? I usually try to make my first cycle as long as possible and leave smaller cycles at the end (usually 2's and some 3's) which involves skipping some letters out and memorizing them later (i.e. in Speffz, on the F face for example, I might ignore J if it brings the cycle to and end and skip to K, and once I've memorized more letters finish the cycle with J at the end.)

I've probably made no sense at all.

I just take my cycles as they come, breaking into new ones by shooting the solved buffer to an unsolved U center.
But for the last cycle I do do "skips" as you described.

On big cube centers, when your buffer is solved (Ulb is my first 4x4 center buffer) do you shoot to an unsolved center, another center on that face, or switch buffers (to [for me] Urb, Urf, or Ulf)?
Also, how do you guys solve +centers on 5x5? Comms or something like M2? How would an M2 type method work?

Unsoved U center, will only switch to floating buffer after getting an offical succes.

+ centers via comm. They are no more difficult as X centers.
But the confusing thing is that there can be so many different comms to solve a specific cycle :)

Here's an example solve with + center comms.
http://www.speedsolving.com/forum/s...BLD-Discussion&p=766589&viewfull=1#post766589
As I'm noob there are probably much better comms :)

Last edited:

Marcell

WCA
2007ENDR01
Marcell, do you use floating buffer?
If yes, does your buffer float only on upper face or on the whole cube? And how do you memorize new cycles with new buffer?
If not, why?

No, I do not use floating buffer on big cube centers.
I should, and I've been meaning to do so for quite some time now, because it is more efficient execution-wise, but I could never get comfortable with it. But I'm planning on having a go at it again soon.

kinch2002

Premium Member
WCA
2009SHEP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I do this too.
I liked making the first cycle as long as possible too.
With floating buffer on U. The only time I ever run out of buffers is when a 2 swap is left on other faces. I think fixed buffer is very good if you practise enough because you could learn to go straight from letter pair to alg. A floating buffer would have too many cases (unless you just do random extra U setup moves)

Ollie

WCA
2012FROS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Some top responses! :)

Been experimenting around - keeping center cycles to 2/3 pairs long seems to work really nicely during execution whenever it's possible. It also makes the memorization faster, easier to track how many pieces are left and easier to recall later because the images are simpler (compared to what I was doing before.)

I'll also try the floating buffer away from the U-face idea when I don't have 1,201,657 assignments to do.

Does anyone have a tip on how to keep track about wich center pieces you already memorized?
Sometimes it works fine and sometimes i get totally confused. It never happenes with edges or anything. Just with centers..

Thanks, Dennis

TMOY

WCA
2008COUR01
How do big cube BLD solvers memorize centers? I usually try to make my first cycle as long as possible and leave smaller cycles at the end (usually 2's and some 3's) which involves skipping some letters out and memorizing them later (i.e. in Speffz, on the F face for example, I might ignore J if it brings the cycle to and end and skip to K, and once I've memorized more letters finish the cycle with J at the end.)
I memo centers by position, not by cycles. Definitely faster, but makes execution harder.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Does anyone have a tip on how to keep track about wich center pieces you already memorized?
Sometimes it works fine and sometimes i get totally confused. It never happenes with edges or anything. Just with centers..

I never have trouble with centers, because I put my fingers on which piece I'm up to on each face as I go. Unfortunately, you can't do that with wings (too many pieces), so I have a terrible time with it with wings. But centers are never a problem - they're easy.

MaeLSTRoM

WCA
2011WALL02
YouTube
Visit Channel

Thanks, Dennis

Sometimes If I can't remember which centres I've memo'd I choose a face with unsolved centres on and quickly skim through memo to see if I have memo'd all the letters from that face. Just like you, I have good and bad centre memo's, but this seems to help with the bad ones.

EDIT: I also do this for wings sometimes, I just find it easier to look for letters in memo, than to check each piece individually through tracing again.

CHJ

WCA
2012HALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
In the past week my 3BLD's have been horrible! I've had to use an extra 20s memo per solve and my success rate has plummeted! If anyone can either let me know a better way to keep a memo and not have to review it over and OVER and OVER and keep it. Also if anyone can point out any reasons to why my blinds have been so bad, whether its overpractice i don't know but its driving me crazy not getting a decent memo anymore!

Ollie

WCA
2012FROS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
In the past week my 3BLD's have been horrible! I've had to use an extra 20s memo per solve and my success rate has plummeted! If anyone can either let me know a better way to keep a memo and not have to review it over and OVER and OVER and keep it. Also if anyone can point out any reasons to why my blinds have been so bad, whether its overpractice i don't know but its driving me crazy not getting a decent memo anymore!

I'm having the same problem at the moment! A day's rest or two or a change in environment is usually really helpful - my success rate at and my times at home and at a meet we just had in Leicester were unusually good and as soon as I've came back to London and started practicing again my success rate has gone to crap.

CHJ

WCA
2012HALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I hope thats the case, im gonna try not BLD'ing till saturday, at least that way if it doesn't work out i still have some time to get back to a decent level but i really just want to podium all blinds if possible.
As for the big blind question you had, i like to make sure i dont get two piece swaps but adjusting my memo, and i like to memo in 6's of 4's if i cant make a 6 in centres, wings i make lots of 4's and 3's for corners for some reason. Setting those numbers makes sure i dont swap memo around and secures it for much longer, something i wish i could do in 3BLD

A Leman

This is fairly obvious, but I have found catching up on sleep is almost always my problem. I sometimes need 2 days of going to bed around 7-9 PM, to counteract the days I go on 5-6 hrs of sleep. whenever my memo acts fuzzy, I try to stop staying up late reading and the change is very noticable in my times.

Cubenovice

Forever Slow

I'm having the same problem at the moment!

I find that practicing bigblind has this effect on my 3BLD solving.
For bigblinds I use very structured memo with journey, for 3BLD I typically just do sentences.
It seems sentences become more difficult to stick after using journey for a while.

TMOY

WCA
2008COUR01
Can you explain? :( So you'd memo the green centers are in positions a,b,c,d; red in e,f,g,h etc?

Not exactly. I memo which centers are on the U face, then which centers are on the B face, and so on. For each center piece, I simply memo the first letter of the name of the color (In French, with white replaced by black because "blanc" (white) and "bleu" (blue) both begin with a B).

Jakube

WCA
2011KOGL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Anyone has a nice alg for UBL-RUF-LFU?

One's I found are:
[x' D2 R: [D2, R U' R']]
[x R2 U2: [R, U L2 U']]

Both with cancellations of course. But I don't like nether of them.

Last edited: