• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

PandaCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Best method for 2x2 bld?
Doing y perms is really annoying 2x2. Maybe there is something easier and shorter?

Another question: How does guesstega work? Is it literally just guess?>]

DrKorbin

WCA
2011GRIT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You figure what moves you should do to make a layer for CLL (or side for EG if you know it; it will be simplier if you know it both) and then you compute how each other peaces move, where they will be and how they will be oriented. Then you know what CLL case you will have, don the blindfold and go.

Edit: also if you just know Ortega, then you still can perform all of it, but first you must learn how each OLL you use permutes corners.

aaronb

If someone had the same recognition time for TuRBo corners they did BH corners, would there be anything else that would make them slower, using TuRBo over BH?

I feel like using BH would be much more difficult for case recognition to me, rather than TuRBo, but I would still learn BH, if there were significant advantages.

Edit: I mean, they both directly solve 2 pieces at a time, but TuRBo uses only a few more moves per cycle. Besides these few moves saved, and recognition time, is there anything that will make BH faster?

Last edited:

A Leman

If someone had the same recognition time for TuRBo corners they did BH corners, would there be anything else that would make them slower, using TuRBo over BH?

I feel like using BH would be much more difficult for case recognition to me, rather than TuRBo, but I would still learn BH, if there were significant advantages.

This is good question, so I will try to answer as well as i can from my experience. Turbo corners would not be much slower then BH, but it would have a slightly higher move count. ALot of the turbo algs are A9's which means that seting up to them can be a waste of moves,but they are also very usefull for the A9 BH cases. What I am doing now is I solve the the pure comms like BH, Rotate most of the A9's and solve them as the Turbo A9(by recognizing what my algs look like from different buffers), And use Turbo for the rest of the nasty cases that are not 3OP(which is normally still optimal for collomns and cyclic shifts).

An example of the A9/Turbo thing is that I know the targets of the A-perm form a Sune pattern around the Up face(a viewpoint shift) so a cycle like UBR-FUR-BRD would be yx (A-Perm)x'y' but my A-perm starts with X' so it would be even easier(and move optimal).

you can do Cycles like UBR-BRD-LBD BY AN x' [R,U'L'U] x because the view point can treat the BRD as the UBR in the Turbo cycle, I hope this helps.

nickoon

Could someone by chance suggest some alternative 3x3 algorithms for swapping two edges? I'm using M2 and generally everywhere I look suggests the usual M' U M' U M' U2 M U M U M U2 for swapping UF/UB, but I'm really hoping to find something that doesn't include so many M moves; M' is perfectly fine, but M moves always just feel horrendously awkward for me, any fluency and flow while solving just kind of grinds to a halt when I have to maneuver them.

The algorithm can swap any two edges as far as I'm concerned, I would adjust to a different pair. I hunted around the wiki and other pages but couldn't really find any sort of edge-swapping list, and I tried to see if Cube Explorer would spit out something promising, but I'm not really finding much since I can't exclude M moves there. Any help would be appreciated!

Cubenovice

Forever Slow
Could someone by chance suggest some alternative 3x3 algorithms for swapping two edges? I'm using M2 and generally everywhere I look suggests the usual M' U M' U M' U2 M U M U M U2 for swapping UF/UB, but I'm really hoping to find something that doesn't include so many M moves; M' is perfectly fine, but M moves always just feel horrendously awkward for me, any fluency and flow while solving just kind of grinds to a halt when I have to maneuver them.

M' U M' U M' U' M' U2 M' U M' U M' U M'

Edit: ninja'd

btw you could also use U' instead of U (for me it feels better with U')

Last edited:

Ickathu

WCA
2011MERT03
YouTube
Visit Channel

The algorithm can swap any two edges as far as I'm concerned, I would adjust to a different pair. I hunted around the wiki and other pages but couldn't really find any sort of edge-swapping list, and I tried to see if Cube Explorer would spit out something promising, but I'm not really finding much since I can't exclude M moves there. Any help would be appreciated!

That would actually be flipping UF and UB, but I know what you mean. I do every U as U' though, it makes it easier to fingertrick, because I do M' with my Right ring, so my left index flicks U'.
The way I actually execute that case is like this:
M' U' M' U' M' U2' r' R U' r' R U' r' R U2'
It's kind of slow at first, but I can do it sub4 now (still slow, I know.)

Edit:
You could also (if you really hate M moves) do the adjacent 2 swap twice.
R' U2 R2 U R' U' R' U2 r U R U' r' U R' U2 R2 U R' U' R' U2 r U R U' r' U'

Last edited:

nickoon

Thanks everyone for the help! And yes, I notice now I was saying swapping instead of flipping, I had the wrong thing on the brain. In any case everyone obviously understood what I meant and I have a number of options to look at here. Thanks again :]

aaronb

How would one go about dealing with parity, using TuRBo edges with a UF buffer and TuRBo corners with a UBR buffer? I don't care if you explain how to do it with corners first or edges first. Thanks in advance.

DYGH.Tjen

WCA
2012TJEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi

For 4x4 centers, (I'm using speffz blindlettering scheme), is there a good way to solve ACV, AUB and AVB using comms? And if you type out the algs for me, can you please explain why is it done that way? I seem to have trouble doing stuff that involves the buffer, something else in the U layer and the D face. Thanks!

P.S. try and explain in a way like how Daniel explains stuff :p thanks

jorgeskm

WCA
2011MATA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Or you could do corners first, and in the last conm do: Buffer-corners where went it-UBL. So, UBL and UBR will be exchanged.
With the edges you have do the same idea in the last conm: Buffer-edge where went it-UB. So, UF and UBR will be exchanged.
Finally you have one T-perm.
With this parity you could execute first the corners or the edges, whatever you best for your memo.

Sorry for my English.