• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Sakarie

WCA
2008SKAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
What is the advantage of M2 over doing setup-moves and U-perms (that would be called freestyle, I think)?

I learned M2/R2 some weeks ago and I am averaging around 5 minutes now. I tried U-perms once and it took about 10 minutes, but due to the fact I am not used to the setup-moves I think this was quite OK. So what is the advantage of M2?

The advantage is that it is "braindead", meaning that it can be executed very fast, since you may know exactly what to do for every letter/sticker. For every non-M-slice piece it's 5 or 7 very easy moves, which when practiced can be done very fast.

Also, the M-slice pieces is actually very nice to solve if you're using a good method for them.

Julian

WCA
2010DAVI06
@jla A great way to memo corners (provided you memo them last and execute them first) is audio. So, if the letters to memorize were

SAGLNDCA

I would memo them something like sa gill nid ca. This type of memo is easy and can be very fast.

rubiksarlen

WCA
2011TANA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
so just say i'm in the middle of a cycle and I reach a white piece and the top white face is full in my memo. do I leave out that piece and break into a new cycle with other unsolved centers? cos that's what daniel sheppard said to do in his tutorial...

marco.garsed

WCA
2010MAZZ02
hey marco thanks for the help. can you please view my 4x4 bld centers memo help thread i created and help answer my latest question there? thanks :)

you got many good answer there... I can't add anything that other blinders told you I think...

if I use OP corners for 4x4 BLD

remember that a Y per rotates centers! I wouldn't start with corners if you use OP...

DYGH.Tjen

WCA
2012TJEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Someone, mind clarifying please? What marco said. If you use OP for 4x4 corners, for example you did 6 Yperms. So you're a U2 off. You have
-failed a 4blind solve.
-the liberty of doing a U2 then just continue solving centers then edges done.
-another method to solve this problem.
-to memorise the top layer centers a U2 off.
Which are facts? (Possibly none, ahahaa)
Do clarify? Thanks a lot!

Julian

WCA
2010DAVI06
Someone, mind clarifying please? What marco said. If you use OP for 4x4 corners, for example you did 6 Yperms. So you're a U2 off. You have
-failed a 4blind solve.
-the liberty of doing a U2 then just continue solving centers then edges done.
-another method to solve this problem.
-to memorise the top layer centers a U2 off.
Which are facts? (Possibly none, ahahaa)
Do clarify? Thanks a lot!
U2 before centers, U2 after.

Sakarie

WCA
2008SKAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
And even if you're using like OP or any other not centersafe method for corners, but still want to solve them before centers, you could pretty easy make sure that if you've done 6 (or 10) pieces, you make a U2 for just the centers with RL U2 R'L' U' RL U2 R'L' U'. And no matter which method, you never solve corners parity before center.