• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

minime12358

WCA
2010KAPL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Does anyone use M2 for + centers?
I was just thinking of it and realizing how basic it is :p all centers except M slice ones are very easy. Anyone have algs for those? I kind of fail with center comms, so these are probably terrible
Ones that I was thinking of:
U

F: u2 M' u2 M'
B: M2

F

U:? u' b' R b M2 b' R' b M2 u M2
D:? d' b L b' M2 B L' B' M2 :( d M2

D

B: M u2 M U2
F: [M2 , (R U R' U')x6]

B

U: u b' R b M2 b' R' b M2 u' M2
D: f M b L2 b' M' b L2 b' f' U2

Ok so now that I have pathetically made these algs, someone let me know some better ones xD Or possibly a two flip ("flipping" the two centers that form an edge)
Ill generate one with ksolve for now, but yah some help would be great :)

edit: Also, the link: http://www.youtube.com/user/badmephisto
... probably somewhere on there :p

Last edited:

Sakarie

WCA
2008SKAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Does anyone use M2 for + centers?
I was just thinking of it and realizing how basic it is :p all centers except M slice ones are very easy. Anyone have algs for those? I kind of fail with center comms, so these are probably terrible

Ok so now that I have pathetically made these algs, someone let me know some better ones xD

http://cube.garron.us/BLD/r2/index.htm

Here are "algorithms" for every case. But the m-slice centers are what makes the method go from very good to not very good (but still not bad!).

The best thing to do (assuming you don't want to start learning commutators) is to make sure that you're memorizing in pairs, and when you recall a pair of pieces/letters, you think "Is there any m-slice pieces in this pair?". If it is, you make a setup move, so that it isn't anymore! But you HAVE TO do this when the m-slice is solved, and you have to undo the setup moves when you've solved BOTH pieces in the pair, so that the m-slice is solved again.

Or possibly a two flip ("flipping" the two centers that form an edge)
Ill generate one with ksolve for now, but yah some help would be great :)

I really can't understand what you would do with that? Remember that the pieces starting in Df and Fd doesn't necessary is next to each other when solved.

minime12358

WCA
2010KAPL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
http://cube.garron.us/BLD/r2/index.htm

Here are "algorithms" for every case. But the m-slice centers are what makes the method go from very good to not very good (but still not bad!).

The best thing to do (assuming you don't want to start learning commutators) is to make sure that you're memorizing in pairs, and when you recall a pair of pieces/letters, you think "Is there any m-slice pieces in this pair?". If it is, you make a setup move, so that it isn't anymore! But you HAVE TO do this when the m-slice is solved, and you have to undo the setup moves when you've solved BOTH pieces in the pair, so that the m-slice is solved again.

I really can't understand what you would do with that? Remember that the pieces starting in Df and Fd doesn't necessary is next to each other when solved.

Thanks for the link :)

What I Was thinking is: if you do u2 M' u2 M' or M u2 M u2 as in regular M2 (Correct me if I am wrong, never done M2), you get it to 2/8 of the needed positions. M2 gets the 3rd, 4th is the buffer.

I was just realizing that the first two aren't on there!

so that leaves the 4 flips. if the flip is short enough, you can do flip <regular move> flip. Unfortunately, you can do regular move flip as that would put the wrong piece into the buffer :/

You could also of course have a seperate alg/comm for that, but flip reg flip is less algorithmic and as you pointed out, the whole m2 slice is really annoying and the comms are long.

Also, one last thing, I do know commutators, just havent practiced them too much for centers and I feel like this could be almost as fast.

Sakarie

WCA
2008SKAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks for the link :)

What I Was thinking is: if you do u2 M' u2 M' or M u2 M u2 as in regular M2 (Correct me if I am wrong, never done M2), you get it to 2/8 of the needed positions. M2 gets the 3rd, 4th is the buffer.

I was just realizing that the first two aren't on there!

so that leaves the 4 flips. if the flip is short enough, you can do flip <regular move> flip. Unfortunately, you can do regular move flip as that would put the wrong piece into the buffer :/

You could also of course have a seperate alg/comm for that, but flip reg flip is less algorithmic and as you pointed out, the whole m2 slice is really annoying and the comms are long.

Also, one last thing, I do know commutators, just havent practiced them too much for centers and I feel like this could be almost as fast.

No, you can't do the things you want to! This is what M' u2 M' u2 does.

And you have NO reason to flip anything if I understand what you're saying. I recommend that you learn M2 for 3x3 before doing T-centers.

Cube Equation

WCA
2012TAMK01
Ok, several nice examples:

UF>DR>RB = y R U' M' U2 M U' R
UF>FR>UB = R' U' R' U' R2 U R U R U2
UF>RU>BD = M' U' M' U' M U' M' U' M2
UF>LD>BR = D [U' R' U, M'] D'

For the first cycle, do you mean y R U' M' U2 M U' R'?

Interesting. These cycles are indeed faster than the BH ones I was looking at. Are they often non-commutator based? And would I have to find them myself using Cube Explorer or a similar computer program (if I am that dedicated to BLD, that is)?

aronpm

Interesting. These cycles are indeed faster than the BH ones I was looking at. Are they often non-commutator based? And would I have to find them myself using Cube Explorer or a similar computer program (if I am that dedicated to BLD, that is)?

All of those are commutators except for the second one. They just aren't move-optimal. (Well, the first one is, I don't know about the 3rd or 4th ones)

Zane_C

Premium Member
WCA
2010CARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes sorry, I meant y R U' M' U2 M U' R'
Are they often non-commutator based? And would I have to find them myself using Cube Explorer or a similar computer program (if I am that dedicated to BLD, that is)?
The use of algorithms or commutators depends on the solver, generally a lot/most of the cycles are just fingertrick friendly commutators.
Also, speed-optimal doesn't necessarily mean move optimal - sometimes to make commutators more fingertrick friendly, they're solved non-optimally.

You don't need to use Cube Explorer, I learnt many of the cycles I use from here: http://www.speedsolving.com/forum/showthread.php?25664-A-list-of-edge-cycles

'3-style' is a recently coined term for 'speed-optimised 3-cycles'.

Cube Equation

WCA
2012TAMK01
You don't need to use Cube Explorer, I learnt many of the cycles I use from here: http://www.speedsolving.com/forum/showthread.php?25664-A-list-of-edge-cycles

Thanks for the link. It should be helpful. But do I have to memorize the algorithm/commutator for each of the cases? Or is there some hidden pattern to them that my untrained eyes cannot hope to detect?

And sorry for yet another unnecessary question, but as a newcomer to BLD, I have to ask: what is the commonly accepted definition for the term freestyle? This question has been on my mind for quite a while.

Last edited:

Zane_C

Premium Member
WCA
2010CARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
But do I have to memorize the algorithm/commutator for each of the cases?
No, if you understand commutators most of the cases should be quite intuitive. There are some commutators listed that might not be immediately obvious, you should assess them until you understand them.

As for the algorithms, you don't have much of a choice but to memorise those. However, there are many algs/comms which are listed more than once, they differ by certain set-up moves and/or cancellations.
And sorry for yet another unnecessary question, but as a newcomer to BLD, I have to ask: what is the commonly accepted definition for the term freestyle? This question has been on my mind for quite a while.
Not an unnecessary question.

There is no commonly accepted definition of 'freestyle', this page might appeal to you.
You learned all of this algos?!
If this question is directed at me:
-'Algs' is the proper abbreviation.
-No, I changed a lot of the listed algs/comms to suit myself more.
-I learnt a lot of the commutators, I memorised some algorithms.

Cube Equation

WCA
2012TAMK01
No, if you understand commutators most of the cases should be quite intuitive. There are some commutators listed that might not be immediately obvious, you should assess them until you understand them.
But you do have to learn which commutator is the speed-optimal one to apply for each case, correct?

Also, would the fastest execution method for corners be speed-optimal 3-cycles? I performed some research and found that BH is fairly optimised in terms of speed. Is this true? Or could more be done to make the commutators more fingertrick-friendly?