• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Marcell

WCA
2007ENDR01
Even sub1 BLD is extremely hard to do.
I don't like the phrasing. I'd rather say it takes lots and lots of practise and a great deal of devotement. One must really like the stuff. Wanting to 'look good at showing off' probably won't be enough.

@jiggy: I think byu's tutorial is kind of perfect for learning BH.

Last edited:

jiggy

@jiggy: I think byu's tutorial is kind of perfect for learning BH.

Absolutely, it's very good. I'm just looking for a anything else out there which I can read/watch to help me pick up BH corners. Learning everything from one source isn't really good practice.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm sure this has been asked and answered a bunch of time before.

Can someone/sometwo/three please link me to what they consider to be the best resource for learning BH corners? I'm been using byu's thread already and I like it, but I think I'd like to see the problem from a different angle.

Written or filmed, I don't have a preference for the medium. I'd rather not be linked to just a page of algs, though. (Unless you truly believe that to be the best resource.)

Cheers.

Have you looked at Chester's How to learn BH efficiently stuff? I'm not sure how many people have actually learned BH that way, but it seems like a really good approach.

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Absolutely, it's very good. I'm just looking for a anything else out there which I can read/watch to help me pick up BH corners. Learning everything from one source isn't really good practice.

Write your solution to each of the following cycles. Go for either move optimal or speed optimal, but tell me which you're going for before you type your solutions.

1) UBL -> FLU -> FDL
2) UBL -> FLU -> DFR
3) UBL -> FLU -> UFR
4) UBL -> FLU -> DFL
5) UBL -> DFL -> DBR
6) UBL -> LUF -> RDF
7) UBL -> LUF -> BRU
8) UBL -> LUF -> BDR

Erdos

I've been using Chester's list, mainly since I also use UF and UFL as my buffers and it's easier to use Chester's than to transpose Chris'. It looks quite nice, but the rotations are a bit confusing and it requires a lot of execution practice just to see what location the cycle affects (since he opts out rotations for practicality). It's a completely logical approach though. I started a couple days ago, and I made about 40% progress through the whole thing.

Basically, use byu's tutorial for the concept and an optimal list for the specified algorithms of each case: Chris' (for UBR/UR buffer) or Chester's (for UFL/UF buffer). You could also always transpose the algorithms and see which one you like better for your own buffer.

Last edited:

jiggy

Write your solution to each of the following cycles. Go for either move optimal or speed optimal, but tell me which you're going for before you type your solutions.

Sure thing. I'll be aiming for move optimal.

[I'm actually not very familiar with the standard bld notation yet, so please do point it out if I'm solving incorrect cases!]

1) UBL -> FLU -> FDL
(U B U') F2 (U B' U') F2 = 8

2) UBL -> FLU -> DFR
(B D2 B') U (B D2 B') U' = 8

3) UBL -> FLU -> UFR
R' (U B U') F2 (U B' U') F2 R= 10

4) UBL -> FLU -> DFL
A9
U2 F2 (U' B' U) F2 (U' B U') = 9

5) UBL -> DFL -> DBR
Per special
F' D2 B D2 F D2 F' D2 B' D2 F D2 = 12

6) UBL -> LUF -> RDF
Cyclic shift with cancellation
R (B' R U2 R' B) (R B' U2 B) R2 = 11

7) UBL -> LUF -> BRU
Cyclic shift
(R' F U2 F' R) (F R' U2 R F') = 10

8) UBL -> LUF -> BDR
F2 D (R' U R) D' (R' U' R) F2 = 10

Mike, Thanks for the link. I did come across this in my searches, but I didn't give too much time to it as I didn't want to 'just' learn a handful of algs. At present, when I solve with BH corners (sighted for now) I work the cases out visually. When you solve, do you literally have the alg memorised - be it through practice or intentionally memorising it - and execute as you might a PLL, or do you visualise the cases in your mind and work them out again on the fly?

RyanReese09

Premium Member
WCA
2010REES01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Mike, Thanks for the link. I did come across this in my searches, but I didn't give too much time to it as I didn't want to 'just' learn a handful of algs. At present, when I solve with BH corners (sighted for now) I work the cases out visually. When you solve, do you literally have the alg memorised - be it through practice or intentionally memorising it - and execute as you might a PLL, or do you visualise the cases in your mind and work them out again on the fly?

The latter. I'd imagine it becomes instantaneous, over time, as though it was a pre-memorized alg.

riffz

WCA
2009HOLT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
What Ryan said. When you're just starting out it can be hard to imagine being able to intuitively solve cases fast enough to be of any use in an actual solve, but over time it becomes almost instantaneous.

kinch2002

Premium Member
WCA
2009SHEP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Should I just go all out quick remembering, or pace myself to begin with?
Yes James - do bld! Do some sighted solves with written out memo first. Then you will find any major flaws in your execution before you try actual bld. And I'd say pace yourself the first few times so you can hopefully get that first success feeling quicker :)

James Ludlow

Premium Member
WCA
2009LUDL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes James - do bld! Do some sighted solves with written out memo first. Then you will find any major flaws in your execution before you try actual bld. And I'd say pace yourself the first few times so you can hopefully get that first success feeling quicker :)

I've done quit a few of these - solve a couple of pieces, check, solve a few more etc. Already I can see that edges needing to be flipped causes me problems - I've opted for football teams home and away, and it seems better now. Corners - I struggle to remember orientation, so I have cheated a little and permuted the oriented at end using setups and RUcomms - if I can see easy orientation before permuting I do it that way.

Erdos

Should I just go all out quick remembering, or pace myself to begin with?

When you're doing your first BLD solves, I recommend practicing just edges BLD or just corners BLD. This is because when you're first practicing, you'll almost always make a mistake on your algs or your memory, since your execution takes so long that eventually you start to forget what you crammed. And this way, when you make a mistake in the edges or corners solve, you at least know it came from your edges or corners. There's no point in spending 10 minutes remembering the cube, spending another another 10 to execute, and only finding that the cube is in a totally scrambled state afterwards. You can get pretty pissed.

Erdos

When you're memorizing the corners or edges and the buffer is solved, how do you keep track of whether you need to start another cycle or you're done?

I've previously been keeping track by putting a finger on each piece, but this method is a bit inefficient (my fingers cross, I have to switch, it blocks my view, etc.). And counting until you get 6 pairs is pretty inefficient too since that's only a maximum and not a good generalization.

insane569

WCA
2011LUEV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
When you're memorizing the corners or edges and the buffer is solved, how do you keep track of whether you need to start another cycle or you're done?

I've previously been keeping track by putting a finger on each piece, but this method is a bit inefficient (my fingers cross, I have to switch, it blocks my view, etc.). And counting until you get 6 pairs is pretty inefficient too since that's only a maximum and not a good generalization.

after awhile you will be able to keep track of pieces that are already solved and pieces that arent
i would look for edges that are incorrectly flipped but in the right spot
what memo do you use? if you use letters just think about all the letters not used.