• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Sakarie

WCA
2008SKAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Edges do seem a bit easier..

I don't think so. Corners are always outer layers, but edges have a slice move somewhere, and there are more opportunities, which in my eyes makes it harder. Also, it's confusing that there are M'U2MU2 variants that makes the not centersafe optimal solutions between 4-10 moves. And then there are <RU> algorithms like U-perms, that aren't move optimal but speedoptimal.

riffz

WCA
2009HOLT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT2UBYhX5uM
is the memo method for corners good as shown above (skip to around 25min.)

Not really. The story idea is good, but I highly recommend that you assign each sticker on your cube a letter and use the letters to make up a story, not the colours of the pieces. See my stickied memorization techniques thread for more info.

RyanReese09

Premium Member
WCA
2010REES01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't think so. Corners are always outer layers, but edges have a slice move somewhere, and there are more opportunities, which in my eyes makes it harder. Also, it's confusing that there are M'U2MU2 variants that makes the not centersafe optimal solutions between 4-10 moves. And then there are <RU> algorithms like U-perms, that aren't move optimal but speedoptimal.
Getting the commutator to work is no biggie. Well, compared to corners since corners have more variants. Speed optimization/big cube safe algs come with optimization.
Last move should be U on the site. not U'

Yep :).

miniGOINGS

Usual memo/exec split for a sub-2/sub-1 bld time (I'm not sure if it is significantly different depending on the method, but if it is that would be cool to know)?

amostay2004

WCA
2009SWEE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Usual memo/exec split for a sub-2/sub-1 bld time (I'm not sure if it is significantly different depending on the method, but if it is that would be cool to know)?

I think Zane said yesterday that his memo was 25-30 when he sub-1ed, which is pretty fast. I'd say the usual split would be sub-25 memo and sub-35 execution for sub-1.

Sub-2 varies a lot more I think. When I was sub-2 I probably had 40-50 memo and like 1min execution =p

miniGOINGS

Hmm, ok. I was thinking it would be a 1-1 split, but it's not off by much. Memo is usually faster than exec though, which makes sense. Thanks :)

NeedReality

WCA
2010MARK03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hopefully this is the right place to ask: Is it bad to have locations on your journey spread out?

I just got into actually trying to do BLD decently (which isn't working out haha) and my memo sucks really bad. I feel like I'm missing something when it comes to memo, but I guess it just takes practice to get it down fast.

Sakarie

WCA
2008SKAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hopefully this is the right place to ask: Is it bad to have locations on your journey spread out?

I just got into actually trying to do BLD decently (which isn't working out haha) and my memo sucks really bad. I feel like I'm missing something when it comes to memo, but I guess it just takes practice to get it down fast.

I don't think it is. Mine is spread with 12 locations per house, but some have that many locations in a single room. The important thing is that you know your order, and don't forget any locations.

Marcell

WCA
2007ENDR01
I noticed I can only do a few blindsolves per day because of conflicting memos. Has anybody got any tip to clear your mind before a solve?

Try listening to music or reciting poems or lyrics. Use a flexible memo system where different memos are in fact very different.
Also, taking use of your natural, "built-in" short-term memory - phonological loop, short-term visual memory - really helps, as these tend to empty very quickly.

NeedReality

WCA
2010MARK03
YouTube
Visit Channel
How far apart is "spread out"? I don't think it matters too much anyway, as long as you know which order your locations are in.

Well as of now I'm using my schedule for school, so some are on the other side of the building from each other. I figured since my schedule at school is the same all the time that it would help me in remembering the order, which it does as the order isn't the part I have trouble with. My memo still takes 3-4 minutes though - I think it takes too long for me to place images in the locations and on top of that I have to review after every couple of images.

Marcell

WCA
2007ENDR01
Well as of now I'm using my schedule for school, so some are on the other side of the building from each other. I figured since my schedule at school is the same all the time that it would help me in remembering the order, which it does as the order isn't the part I have trouble with. My memo still takes 3-4 minutes though - I think it takes too long for me to place images in the locations and on top of that I have to review after every couple of images.

How many images do you place on one location? You should try to group every four (or at least two) images together, and place them on one location in your journey. Also, it's not really the distance between locations what matters, but the way you use them. If you create kind of a static picture, it won't stick in your memory unless you review a lot. If you get your imgages to interact with each other and the location, if you can make a little story or anything that makes sense, you'll find that it really helps.

Selkie

Premium Member
WCA
2011WRIG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well I have been devoting a lot more time to BLD the last few days. Ordinarily I have no problem with memorisation in general, learning algs quickly. My letter lists are going well and have no problem there but I appear to be having huge issues on remembering my cube letter locations. Maybe its a sign of a bad layout I'm not sure. I have seen a suggestion in a post some time ago about putting the letters on a cube and I am thinking of getting some letter stickers and using them on an unused stickerless guhong I have. Any thoughts on this process to aid learning or maybe I should adopt a more intuitive lettering scheme. BTW, my lettering is based closely on Speffz