• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

peedu

Oh, my image is different then. Usually huge white cueball. Some times it is small. Depends on the neighboring images and/or the place I need to place them.

For 3x3 I have pretty much given up even placing the images somewhere. I just make a first group of 3 images and then the rest. I might split up the second group.

Peedu

Cue is a pool cue that my Dad got for me for my birthday when I was younger. The cue is possessed and the tip of it stabs at the adjacent image, causing a surprising amount of damage (piercing/stabbing damage).

For Quiet I picture a librarian sitting behind a desk and shushing the adjacent images. This is particularly funny when a violent or sexy image is happening right next to the librarian. I picture the librarian having an impassive face, and shushing the adjacent images quite loudly :)

amostay2004

WCA
2009SWEE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I thought of this a few days ago but always forgot to try it out in a solve. Those who use commutators for big cube centres (I'm thinking of 4x4 but it should apply to bigger cubes) typically use floating buffers, and so do I. But I find myself thinking quite long when not using my usual buffer (Ubl). Then it dawned on me - if your buffer is solved, instead of using a different buffer position why not just adjust the U layer so the new buffer is in your buffer position (eg if Ubl, Ufl, and Ubr is solved, do a U2 before solving centres)? When done with centres, simply undo the setup move. Does anyone else use this? It seems like a decent idea to me. The only disadvantages I can think of are:

1. Forgetting to undo your setup move (probably can use your feet to remind you that you need to undo a setup)
2. Needing to adjust the memo when U layer pieces are involved (which I assume won't be too hard to do, but is easy to forget during memo)

edit: this should probably go into the random BLD discussion thread, but I think these two threads are quite similar and should be merged though.

Sakarie

WCA
2008SKAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I thought of this a few days ago but always forgot to try it out in a solve. Those who use commutators for big cube centres (I'm thinking of 4x4 but it should apply to bigger cubes) typically use floating buffers, and so do I. But I find myself thinking quite long when not using my usual buffer (Ubl). Then it dawned on me - if your buffer is solved, instead of using a different buffer position why not just adjust the U layer so the new buffer is in your buffer position (eg if Ubl, Ufl, and Ubr is solved, do a U2 before solving centres)? When done with centres, simply undo the setup move. Does anyone else use this? It seems like a decent idea to me. The only disadvantages I can think of are:

1. Forgetting to undo your setup move (probably can use your feet to remind you that you need to undo a setup)
2. Needing to adjust the memo when U layer pieces are involved (which I assume won't be too hard to do, but is easy to forget during memo)

edit: this should probably go into the random BLD discussion thread, but I think these two threads are quite similar and should be merged though.

I don't use floating buffer, since you're barely saving memo, and higher chance to screw up on something. But I really like this idea, and I think this is an excellent way of doing it!