• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Cubenovice

Forever Slow
For Old Pochmann you can check for / generate algs that shoot to different locations. This reduces the number of set up moves.

For edges
I shoot to UF and UB with J-Perms
I shoot to UL and LU with normal T and Edgeflip T perm

For corners I shoot to RFD and also have a nice alg to shoot to DRF but find that I hardly ever use the 2nd one.
I generated some CE algs for FRD too but found these too akward to execute

For your M2 edges this info is not really usefull but perhaps it can help some others.

ilikecubing

WCA
2011KULS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
@cubenovice

Ugh,i already know all that J perm/L perm stuff from badmephisto's video long ago,and i have also seen ericlimbacks video so i also know of the alg that shoots to RFD,i've been doing BLD since 1.5 months now,setup moves and corner execution is not a big problem,i was askng for sumthin a bit advanced or some tricks which can reduce the number of moves and help to get faster,thanx anyway

ilikecubing

WCA
2011KULS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
These

UB - M2

BU - F' D R' F D' M2 D F' R D' F

UF - U2 M' U2 M'

FU - F E R U R' E' R U' R' F' M2

DB - M U2 M U2

BD - M2 D R' U R' U' M' U R U' M R D'

Setups can be found here

http://www.stefan-pochmann.info/spocc/blindsolving/M2R2/

For pairty there is R perm and U' F2 U M2 U' F2 U assuming that you use old Pochmann for corners and you are doing corners first

If you are doing edges first,pairty is just U' F2 U M2 U' F2 U

For Eric

EricReese

WCA
2010REES02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thank a bunch man. I'll be playing around with these tonight :) with parity I will be doing oldpochmann corners for now. When I do parity I usually do a y' rotation then I do the left handed R perm. I do that alg also from that y' angle? Sorry if its obvious but I dont have time to do a sighted M2 solve and I doubt I would get it right on the first attempt

Kynit

If I have parity (Old Pochmann/M2), I do U' F2 U M2 U' F2 U. This switches UL and UB, as well as flipping the M-slice (be careful with your M-slice algs).

wontolla

WCA
2011GRAJ01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I need a nice alg, for old pochmann, to solve the D face (I shoot to UFL, UFR, UBR and RDF, I need something to shoot to DFR or something)

If you shoot to UFL, UFR and UBR, I assume you use J-perm and Y-perm.

All you have to do is bring any D face sticker to the U face. For example: To shoot to DFR use the setup move R2 and shoot to UBR, then undo R2 and so on with the other U face stickers.

Is that what you are looking for or I missunderstood your question.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
If a wing edge piece pops out during a 5x5x5 BLD solve, and you complete the solve without it, does this still count as solved? The cube was obviously solved when I stopped the timer, only missing a wing edge that I never replaced after it popped.

I am curious as to whether doing what I did would be allowable in a competition? Comments? Interpretations? Right now I am leaning DNF.

That really is a tough one. I'm pretty sure that if I were ruling on it, I would at least want to rule it a successful solve. The puzzle is after all unambiguously solved. But I don't like having to use personal judgment on an issue like this; it seems like this points to a need to modify the regulations so that there is a clear definition of "functional parts of the puzzle".

Wouldn't it have been faster to take the time to put the piece back in before finishing the solve? Or was it almost at the very end, or perhaps the piece fell on the floor and it would have been too hard to find? I'm pretty sure I would have tried to put the piece back in before stopping if it were me; I'm too paranoid of DNFs.

If this was for the weekly competition, it seems like you should count yourself as the "main judge", so it's up to you to make the decision. Rule wisely! :)

RyanReese09

Premium Member
WCA
2010REES01
YouTube
Visit Channel
But U R' also gives a U perm. In fact when you get used to it enough you can simply cancel the R' into the U perm
O_O Thought it was a different one. Whoops
Technically you're still solving an A9 case, but you're solving it in a similar way to solving an orthogonal. Call it whatever you want though, as long as it's solved =p

This brings me to a question for Chris. I think it's been asked before but how would you differentiate BH from doing 3 cycles without preorientation? I've always thought the main difference is that BH always uses optimal moves, which is why I don't say I use BH corners, but more like freestyle. Like in Ryan's case if he uses a 10 mover to solve a 9 moves case, I wouldn't say he's really using BH. Correct me if I'm wrong, and if BH simply means solving 3 cycles with a fixed buffer without preorientation

I wouldn't know what to call it, except calling it a 10 mover :p. Thanks amos.

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This brings me to a question for Chris. I think it's been asked before but how would you differentiate BH from doing 3 cycles without preorientation? I've always thought the main difference is that BH always uses optimal moves, which is why I don't say I use BH corners, but more like freestyle. Like in Ryan's case if he uses a 10 mover to solve a 9 moves case, I wouldn't say he's really using BH. Correct me if I'm wrong, and if BH simply means solving 3 cycles with a fixed buffer without preorientation

No, I think Daniel and my original intention with BH was to use move optimal algs such that the method could be applied to a 5x5x5 cube. BH I would say was originally intended by us to be a big cube BLD method. It just happens to also solve a 3x3x3. I guess our official position would be that if you use an alg that is not supercube safe on a 5x5x5, and not move optimal, then it's not fully BH.

Keep in mind that this means that I don't use BH to solve the 3x3x3 either. I often use U perms, and I sometimes use a more finger friendly 9 move alg over an 8 move alg. Sometimes I'll use a 10 move alg rather than the optimal 9 mover. However, on the 5x5x5 or 7x7x7 I tend to care more about the saving in moves, and I would tend to use the optimal algs instead (but not always).

riffz

WCA
2009HOLT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just hate calling the BLD method I use "freestyle". That term makes it sound like you just wing it, as opposed to having a structured method. I usually describe what I use as "speed optimized 3-cycles from a fixed buffer", but it's kind of a mouthful. (Even so, my execution sucks :()

Sakarie

WCA
2008SKAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just hate calling the BLD method I use "freestyle". That term makes it sound like you just wing it, as opposed to having a structured method. I usually describe what I use as "speed optimized 3-cycles from a fixed buffer",u bt it's kind of a mouthful. (Even so, my execution sucks :()

Oh, second that! Somebody should come up with a good, relatively short name for "(totally or partially) speed optimized 3-cycles with a fixed buffer".

toastman

For corners I shoot to RFD and also have a nice alg to shoot to DRF but find that I hardly ever use the 2nd one.
I love the RFD alg (the Y-perm without the leading and trailing F's). It's like:
Sexy-move-variant (R U' R' U'), J-Perm-Setup (R U R' F'), Sexy-Move, Hammer (R, U, R')

What's your DRF alg? I hate mine (R2 U J(b) U' R2), as it has some L-moves in there, and I have to re-grip like 3 times. Which makes me nervous about accidentally doing a x' when I'm BLD.

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Oh, second that! Somebody should come up with a good, relatively short name for "(totally or partially) speed optimized 3-cycles with a fixed buffer".

S3F ?

You won't get that much shorter without leaving information out, so I'd say just go all the way and give it such an acronym. And then S3 could be the method without fixed buffer.

aronpm

I love the RFD alg (the Y-perm without the leading and trailing F's). It's like:
Sexy-move-variant (R U' R' U'), J-Perm-Setup (R U R' F'), Sexy-Move, Hammer (R, U, R')

What's your DRF alg? I hate mine (R2 U J(b) U' R2), as it has some L-moves in there, and I have to re-grip like 3 times. Which makes me nervous about accidentally doing a x' when I'm BLD.

Maybe try R' D' setup to the RFD Y perm?

EDIT: S3F sounds like a good name.

Last edited:

Cubenovice

Forever Slow
Copied from an post I made a while ago in the "official BLD alg list" thread:

Old Pochmann corner alternative corner target to reduce set up moves: Shoot to DRF instead of RFD
My favorite from the Cube Explorer results:

F2 U' F2 D R2 D' R2 U R2 U' R2
=
y' R2 U' R2 D y R2 D' R2 U R2 U' R2 as I execute it
=
y' R2 U' R2 u R2 D' R2 U R2 U' R2

I like the flow of the actual alg but I do not like how it flows into/out of set up moves so I do not use it to often.
I Find that the set up moves to shoot RFD are not too bad.

Last edited: