• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Johan444

WCA
2010SLDJ01
EricReese:

Read a guide and try to understand it. Continue with your question after you've read this like 5 times.

http://www.cubefreak.net/bld/m2_guide.html
5RZui.jpg

riffz

WCA
2009HOLT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Try this scramble: D' B2 R2 U B2 R2 U B2 R2 B2 D F D L2 U2 R D2 U F2 U F'

I didn't time this solve but here's what I would do:

Edges:

y U R2 U' M2 U R2 U' M2

U' M' U2 M U'

u U L' U' M' U L U' M u'

x U2 M' U2 M x'

x' L (U M' U2 M U) L' x

x L' U' L U M' U' L' U l'

Sub-total: 43

Corners:

y' L2 D L' U2 L D' L' U2 L'

U2 R2 U' L' U R2 U' L d'

L2 U2 R2 U' L2 U R2 U' L2 U' L2

y R' F' R2 F R U R' F' R2 F R U'

Total Moves: 43 + 41 = 84

For the last comm I probably would've done D2 L2 D R2 D' L2 D R2 D on a big cube,

which would save 3 moves, but I really like the R' F' R2 F R insert.

EDIT: I realize this is way late, but I hadn't noticed the other pages of this thread and I'm not letting a perfectly good example go to waste. :D

Last edited:

ilikecubing

WCA
2011KULS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
http://www.speedcubing.com/chris/memo-images.html Journey

Roman rooms is when you walk into a room and place objects at locations you make, such as a bed, drawer, light switch etc, and have something like 10 locations in the room, then when you solve you "walk" into the room and just remember what's in each location. I like this style much then typical journey.

But how 10 locations,each edge piece has 2 stickers,and there are 12 edges on the cube,so there should be 24 locations in the room,right?

RyanReese09

Premium Member
WCA
2010REES01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well I place two images per location, I have them interacting. I find it very easy to do it this way. Easy to remember.

If you have a letter pair list, then 4 letters of the cube can be per location, and so assuming 11 edges, and then 7 corners, corners would need 2 location (if it's memo'd this way such as in multi), and then edges would need like 2, squeeze that extra letter in somehow. Or make a 3rd location if something like new cycles are needed.

Marcell

WCA
2007ENDR01
Asking those of you who use visual memo on corners in single 3BLD solves: right now I use sentences formed from letter pair words for edges and then some other words for corners. The latter I recall using my auditory loop and then forget right away. I figure if I would be able to memorize corners visually I could kinda use my auditory loop for the edges - or at least my edge and corner memo wouldn't interfere - so I could memo edges faster and recall them easier.
Is my assumption right?

toastman

By the way, I think this is one of the coolest things you've brought to BLD cubing, Chris. Free memo - how sweet is that? And I agree that it works, effortlessly.

I really am wondering if using the Major system, you could fit a whole 3x3x3 in an auditory loop without having to think? I know a lot of good people (many of the sub-minute solvers) essentially do this "on the fly", making up a coding as they go that's not really a fully-developed Major system, but it works like it (very heavily packed info). I wonder if fully developing it would buy the same results for us, Chris? Consistent sub-15 memo, perhaps?

Damn, I'm interested in this.

Could any of you sub-1 guys please tell us how much time is spent "Planning the solultion" as opposed to "Memorizing?". Especially if you use letters?

I.e. if you normally have a 20 second memo, how must faster would you be if you could just "say" the letters of your solution, rather than actually having to "remember" them. (Thought exercise only, Interested to know)

toastman

edit: regarding Mike's post above, I believe if someone can label each sticker PAIR with a single syllable on both edges and corners (I assume you would probably have to use characters from other languages as well), it can potentially be very fast. On a typical 3x3 memo it would take about 6-7 syllables for edges and 3-4 for corners, which isn't much to memo at all. The downside is it's gonna take looooong time to categorize all the cycles and a much longer time to get used to them. Also I suppose your execution has to be decently fast.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_orthography#The_basic_English_spelling_system

Most English dialects have 24 consonants, as exemplified in the following words and graphemes:
b, ch, d, f, g, h, j, k, l, m, n, ng, p, r, s, sh, t, v, w, y, z, voiced th (this), unvoiced th (think), and zh (as in vision).
Standard British English has about 20 vowels, as exemplified in the following words and graphemes:
* 19 full vowels as in at, aim, fair, cart, autumn, end, eel, term, it, ti.e., on, toe, oil, too, fort, up, few, out, could
* and the unstressed, sometimes barely audible half vowel (or schwa) as in 'flatten, decide, abandon.

Combine a consonant and a vowel, 24*20 = 480 = almost enough for a consonant per sticker on a cube. Make a word that is Consonant-Vowel-Vowel-Consonant = One Syllable, four stickers. Five of those and you've got your cube memoed.

Have no idea if this is of any use or not... but I'd love to see someone give it a shot!

amostay2004

WCA
2009SWEE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Combine a consonant and a vowel, 24*20 = 480 = almost enough for a consonant per sticker on a cube. Make a word that is Consonant-Vowel-Vowel-Consonant = One Syllable, four stickers. Five of those and you've got your cube memoed.

Have no idea if this is of any use or not... but I'd love to see someone give it a shot!

Yea I thought of this for my corners, instead of doing like Ja So Ha Di Ki La, I can just combine them to Jaos Haid Kial. Though I was too lazy to be slow again for BLD so I didn't practise it much =p

I do know that Kai Jiptner uses one syllable per corner pair though

Ordos_Koala

I just heard something about audio memorization, so is it legal to say your words at competition? and please don't post as answer link to WCA regulations, I just want your opininion, if you did that, if judges were ok with that,..?

aronpm

Damn, I'm interested in this.

Could any of you sub-1 guys please tell us how much time is spent "Planning the solultion" as opposed to "Memorizing?". Especially if you use letters?

I.e. if you normally have a 20 second memo, how must faster would you be if you could just "say" the letters of your solution, rather than actually having to "remember" them. (Thought exercise only, Interested to know)
I am probably about .5 seconds faster (so about 10.5 seconds) if I just say letters. Even then, words for the letters are popping up in my head and I need to ignore them. Not to mention that I can't even remember it.

maggot

i would like to point out that japanese is almost golden for auditory memo. i dont use it.

i have a question about journey. typically how many locations are used in a typical 3x3 solve, excluding parity?

riffz

WCA
2009HOLT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
i would like to point out that japanese is almost golden for auditory memo. i dont use it.

i have a question about journey. typically how many locations are used in a typical 3x3 solve, excluding parity?

Depends how many images you use per location. I generally use 3, but for memorizing the corners of a 3x3 I shove all of the images into one room no matter what. Then edges are probably 2-3 for most people.

toastman

Wow, ok I will definitely try to explore this further. Let's look at some short single syllable words with lots of consonant sounds. "Strip" could be "S" followed by "TR" followed by "P". Vowel sounds carry no information in the major system. So a single syllable word can convey more than 2 pieces of information.

"Blast" could be "B" followed by "L" followed by "S" followed by "T". So if you used those 4 consonants then the word "blast" conveys 4 pieces of information. Wow, this is quite interesting!

Why not make use of the vowel sound as well? It's an audio loop, so the "words" don't need to be real English words. There are ~20 vowel sounds in English, so you could get am extra letter. E.g.
Bl-ah-st, Bl-aar-st, Bl-e-st, Bl-ee-st, Bl-oh-st, Bl-or-st, Bl-oo-st, Bl-yew-st etc.

Try saying the above out loud, see how they're different enough to be remembered (audio). I can't find the link, but I believe one of the big "speed-cards-memo" guys uses this sort of system to very quickly memo 2-card pairs.