• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

aronpm

40 to 2:00. I'm pretty bad at OH and the number of slice moves doesn't help :p

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I guess I'm about 1:30 slower. I just did an avg 3/5:

Average: 3:11.00
Standard Deviation: 14.13
Best Time: 2:39.70
Worst Time: 3:33.33
Individual Times:
1. 2:45.20 D F U2 R' F2 L2 U D2 F L' F' R2 B2 U F2 U F2 U' L2 U2
2. 3:23.98 U B' L B2 D F2 U' D L2 B L' U F2 U R2 B2 D' R2 D R2 F2
3. (2:39.70) R L2 D2 L U L B' D2 R U2 R' U' F2 U' D2 B2 U2 R2 U R2 U'
4. (3:33.33) D' R L' U' R D R' F' B R B D L2 B2 D' B2 U F2 B2 U2 D
5. 3:23.81 U F' B' L D' L' D2 L2 U2 D' F' R2 U' R2 U F2 L2 U2 B2 R2 F2

I probably average about 1:45 on 3x3x3, so about 1:30 difference.

I'd go a little faster except that I insist on being stupid and following the old rules for OH - I only allow one hand for inspection as well as solve. That limits my ability to mark the pieces I've already memorized with my fingers, which means I'm often over a minute memorizing.

JonnyWhoopes

Premium Member
WCA
2011GRAY02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Mine is something along the lines of - 1:50 to ~9:00

Yah... so I discovered that using BH corners instead of OP corners really cuts down the times for OHBLD. Somewhere around mid 4min now.

Anybody know of a good way to perform Per Specials OH? (In case anybody's wondering why I'm doing OHBLD, I've injured my right wrist)

Kynit

1. Learn a pure 2-edge flip
2. Go on Pochmann's website and read it/follow the examples
3. Memorize the 4 cases that aren't intuitive

aronpm

Read Pochmann's website

Don't solve FU and BD the same way he does though.

RyanReese09

Premium Member
WCA
2010REES01
YouTube
Visit Channel
how do you memorize cornes?, I suck at visual memo, I can memorize edges in 40s aprox with visual and some letters, but corners in like 30s :S

Auditory is nice. Just give each letter of each corner a letter, and then quickly say the letters of the full corner memo in your head, quickly pull on your blindfold an solve.

Your brain is hardwired to remember the last 10 seconds of information it heard. This allows humans to be able to communicate with each other. It's not something you have to work towards to get.

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
that's intresting, I have to give to each sticker a syllable?

For single syllable sounds the method is usually to give each sticker a letter, and then use a pair of letters to combine into a single syllable word. For example GW would be the word "Gown."

Your idea is actually very interesting. In a sense it would be an expanded version of the Major system, which is extremely easy and efficient for memorizing things like phone numbers. Wow... I have to be honest that I never thought to give each sticker a syllable, but this is something that would be worth exploring.

--edit--

Wow, ok I will definitely try to explore this further. Let's look at some short single syllable words with lots of consonant sounds. "Strip" could be "S" followed by "TR" followed by "P". Vowel sounds carry no information in the major system. So a single syllable word can convey more than 2 pieces of information.

"Blast" could be "B" followed by "L" followed by "S" followed by "T". So if you used those 4 consonants then the word "blast" conveys 4 pieces of information. Wow, this is quite interesting!

Last edited:

amostay2004

WCA
2009SWEE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
For single syllable sounds the method is usually to give each sticker a letter, and then use a pair of letters to combine into a single syllable word. For example GW would be the word "Gown."

Your idea is actually very interesting. In a sense it would be an expanded version of the Major system, which is extremely easy and efficient for memorizing things like phone numbers. Wow... I have to be honest that I never thought to give each sticker a syllable, but this is something that would be worth exploring.

I have been using single syllables for each corner sticker since I started out BLD, it's very simple really. Label each corner with a consonant (well one of mine is an A cos I was dumb when I started :fp) and add a vowel to represent it's orientation (eg a for U/D, i for F/B, o for L/R). Of course there're other ways to do this, like I think Kirjava does some Japanese characters thingy =p

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have been using single syllables for each corner sticker since I started out BLD, it's very simple really. Label each corner with a consonant (well one of mine is an A cos I was dumb when I started :fp) and add a vowel to represent it's orientation (eg a for U/D, i for F/B, o for L/R). Of course there're other ways to do this, like I think Kirjava does some Japanese characters thingy =p

Yes, now that you mention it I do remember Kir posting about his memory method. I guess I never thought about the power of such a method before. I never thought that a single syllable word could convey more than 2 pieces of information, but with such a method it certainly could.

mati rubik

WCA
2009MACA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I was thinking something like give to each sticker a pair of letters, for example So, La, Re, Fi, Tu, etc, that way is really easy make longer words and is also easy to remember

the cycle DBL>RDF>URB can be US NU HA, and sometimes can create some words

there are 21 stickers in my memo system, so I only have to create 21 syllable and memorize just 4-5 in a normal cube, and just memorize the first two corners pure visual

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I was thinking something like give to each sticker a pair of letters, for example So, La, Re, Fi, Tu, etc, that way is really easy make longer words and is also easy to remember

the cycle DBL>RDF>URB can be US NU HA, and sometimes can create some words

there are 21 stickers in my memo system, so I only have to create 21 syllable and memorize just 4-5 in a normal cube, and just memorize the first two corners pure visual

As long as you can say the word/words in your method in under 10 seconds, then you can memorize it "for free" using your 10 second auditory loop :D