• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm learning advanced M2 and trying to use an extra set up to simplify tricky pieces. For BD UL I did a D' to turn BD into RD but it didn't work. Is there a rule for these set ups that I'm not aware of?

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm learning advanced M2 and trying to use an extra set up to simplify tricky pieces. For BD UL I did a D' to turn BD into RD but it didn't work. Is there a rule for these set ups that I'm not aware of?
I don't know advanced M2, but if DF is still your buffer, then your D' is moving your buffer from where it should be. Maybe try something like F D' F' (or y' R D' R' y)?

MatejMuzatko

WCA
2013MUAT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You can use B set up, just make sure you aren't moving your buffer and your 3rd piece. I use B2 U2 setup to M' "method". I am willing to add M "method" soon. If you want to, you can have a read here

biscuit

WCA
2015WEBS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just did a edges only solve. Generated a edges only scramble on CStimer. I memoed and executed but when I stopped the timer the edges were all correctly placed and orientated but the corners were not. I tried going through it again and it looked like my J-perm was messing it up. The scramble is B' L2 U2 L2 F L2 F' L2 D2 L2 F' D' L' B2 F2 D U' F L' B2. I solve yellow on top red in front. RB is the first target so to solce it I did B' D2 F2 jperm F2 D2 B. This leaves BUL and BUR unsolved. Why is this and what do I need to do? J-perm is what is use right?

h2f

Premium Member
WCA
2014PACE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you solve with Old Pochmann you cant do setups using B/B' or F/F'. For RB I did setup: d (or E if you like) L (to shot target to UL) and Tperm L' d'

Last edited:

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm a novice 3BLD solver using M2/OP. I am trying to save some moves by untwisting corners at the end rather than solving each as two targets. How do people memorize this? I tried doing twists/flips first and just remembering them visually, but I don't like that because it twists the buffer and I have to spend time checking for twisted corners before tracing my cycles. However, when doing them at the end I keep forgetting or getting the twist wrong. Looking for good memo ideas.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm a novice 3BLD solver using M2/OP. I am trying to save some moves by untwisting corners at the end rather than solving each as two targets. How do people memorize this? I tried doing twists/flips first and just remembering them visually, but I don't like that because it twists the buffer and I have to spend time checking for twisted corners before tracing my cycles. However, when doing them at the end I keep forgetting or getting the twist wrong. Looking for good memo ideas.
I memo visually in single BLD (and as two targets in Multi). You don't actually need to know the orientation of the buffer, since it depends on the other corners.

For example, setup with [F2 R y: R U2 R' U' R U' R' L' U2 L U L' U L]. I would see that the DFL corner needs to be twisted CW. Now I know I could twist with z (left antisune) (right antisune) z'. But if you do that, you twist another corner, in this case BDL. So what I would do is put the buffer into that spot by doing B before the algorithm. So the way in which I would solve it would be:
B z L' U2 L U L' U L R U2 R' U' R U' R' z' B'.

... Hopefully that makes sense. Also, if I had multiple twisted corners, I would twist each of them individually along with the buffer.

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I memo visually in single BLD (and as two targets in Multi). You don't actually need to know the orientation of the buffer, since it depends on the other corners.

For example, setup with [F2 R y: R U2 R' U' R U' R' L' U2 L U L' U L]. I would see that the DFL corner needs to be twisted CW. Now I know I could twist with z (left antisune) (right antisune) z'. But if you do that, you twist another corner, in this case BDL. So what I would do is put the buffer into that spot by doing B before the algorithm. So the way in which I would solve it would be:
B z L' U2 L U L' U L R U2 R' U' R U' R' z' B'.

... Hopefully that makes sense. Also, if I had multiple twisted corners, I would twist each of them individually along with the buffer.
Thanks TDM. I have been doing something similar, setting up the piece to UFL and doing doublesexy2 L' doublesexy'2 L. Works for me but my problem is memo. I want to do this step last so that I don't have to spend time checking for twists before I trace my cycles. But visual memo isn't working for me - by the end of the solve I have forgotten which corners and/or which directions. So I'm looking for a memo tip. I've tried adding extra letters but I tend to mix them up with corner cycles, or mix up the edge flips and corner twists. I figured someone must have worked out some good method already.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks TDM. I have been doing something similar, setting up the piece to UFL and doing doublesexy2 L' doublesexy'2 L. Works for me but my problem is memo. I want to do this step last so that I don't have to spend time checking for twists before I trace my cycles. But visual memo isn't working for me - by the end of the solve I have forgotten which corners and/or which directions. So I'm looking for a memo tip. I've tried adding extra letters but I tend to mix them up with corner cycles, or mix up the edge flips and corner twists. I figured someone must have worked out some good method already.
Oh. Yeah, visual memo is hard to remember for a while, which is why I only use it for single BLD. If you're having trouble, try twisting the corners at the start of the solve, rather than at the end. You can do it in the same way but your buffer is just somewhere else. The buffer's orientation still isn't important (but the cube's orientation is!).

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Oh. Yeah, visual memo is hard to remember for a while, which is why I only use it for single BLD. If you're having trouble, try twisting the corners at the start of the solve, rather than at the end. You can do it in the same way but your buffer is just somewhere else. The buffer's orientation still isn't important (but the cube's orientation is!).
If I do the twists at the start, the buffer piece gets twisted, so I have to work out which sticker will end up on top before I start to trace the corner cycles. So I would need to spend time on an extra pass over the cube looking for twists. I could do that, but it's exactly what I was trying to avoid.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
If I do the twists at the start, the buffer piece gets twisted, so I have to work out which sticker will end up on top before I start to trace the corner cycles. So I would need to spend time on an extra pass over the cube looking for twists. I could do that, but it's exactly what I was trying to avoid.
Twist the UBL corner, even if it's in a different place on the cube. That way you don't need to trace any corner cycles.
Here's an example.

R' U' L D2 L2 D2 L U' D2 B2 U2 D2 R F2 L D2 L2 D2 L

Memo is FUL-LFD-DBR-UFR-BUR-UFR.

We need to twist DFR. Our buffer is in DBR. So to twist DFR and DBR, I'd do:
x2 (L' U' L U' L' U2 L) (R U R' U R U2 R') x2
You can then continue solving the same targets as memo, without tracing anything.
alg.cubing.net.

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Twist the UBL corner, even if it's in a different place on the cube. That way you don't need to trace any corner cycles.
Here's an example.

R' U' L D2 L2 D2 L U' D2 B2 U2 D2 R F2 L D2 L2 D2 L

Memo is FUL-LFD-DBR-UFR-BUR-UFR.

We need to twist DFR. Our buffer is in DBR. So to twist DFR and DBR, I'd do:
x2 (L' U' L U' L' U2 L) (R U R' U R U2 R') x2
You can then continue solving the same targets as memo, without tracing anything.
Got it, thanks. I would need to remember the position of the buffer piece though, and think about how to rotate to set it up, and how that rotation affects the position of the twisted corner, and how to then set up the twisted corner if it's not already adjacent to the buffer piece. Perhaps that all comes naturally to an experienced BLDer but I suspect for me the effort would massively outweigh the time taken to do an extra Y-perm to twist as two targets :)

I'm considering using the letter Y to indicate twists, along with the letter indicating the position of the U/D face sticker. So for your example, at the end of my corner memo, I would append YK. After solving all the cycles I would then do F2 to set up and twist it ccw with (U R U' R')2 L' (R U R' U')2 L. What do you think?

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Got it, thanks. I would need to remember the position of the buffer piece though, and think about how to rotate to set it up, and how that rotation affects the position of the twisted corner, and how to then set up the twisted corner if it's not already adjacent to the buffer piece. Perhaps that all comes naturally to an experienced BLDer but I suspect for me the effort would massively outweigh the time taken to do an extra Y-perm to twist as two targets :)

I'm considering using the letter Y to indicate twists, along with the letter indicating the position of the U/D face sticker. So for your example, at the end of my corner memo, I would append YK. After solving all the cycles I would then do F2 to set up and twist it ccw with (U R U' R')2 L' (R U R' U')2 L. What do you think?
Now I think about it... I think in the past, when I was first starting to learn BLD, I did twist corners are two cycles. That could be better for now. I would definitely suggest coming back to twisting them using algs later on though!

This is actually quite a good idea, since it would be good for multi as well. If you can remember which ones are for edges and which ones for corners (maybe use Z for edges?), that could be a good system. Try that out and see if it works for you. If it doesn't, then you can always go back to two Y perms.

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
If I'm having a nightmare on a memo should I give up and move on to the next solve? I've been forcing myself to persevere as in a competition I wouldn't have a choice but they almost always end in failure.

I had one this evening that I went over multiple times dye to mistakes surfacing and eventually after 13 mins most of the edges were jumbled. I couldn't even bring myself to retry it sighted to find the errors as I would normally do.

Damien Porter

WCA
2012PORT01
Might as well throw this one in as well..... What about 6x6+? Up to 17x17 if possible lol jk

In an nxnxn cube
Well there are always 8 corners
(n-2)*12 corners
(n-2)^2 * 6 centers (-6 if n odd)

So there are (8 + (n-2)*12 + (n-2)^2 * 6 -3 + 3 * (-1)^n)/20 3x3x3 cubes worth in an nxnxn.

Of course we have to concider that centres are a lot more likely to be solved, especially when n is even.

youSurname

Is it frowned upon (or perhaps even illegal) to memorise aloud? I find if I say my memo aloud, it helps me recall easier. But given the whole blind is a quiet event thing, how would people respond to this?