• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

SoySauS

I use two letters per target, the first representing which face the sticker is on (A-L) and the second representing which of the 5 stickers on that face it is (A-E).

I would likely do something similar, my only issue is that it A) Limits the amount of different images you could have, which makes any given image less unique and thus harder to remember, and B) That makes like twice as many images in your memo, which I guess is unavoidable and one of the reasons megaminx BLD is hard. Also I probably wouldn't do just A-L and A-E, since those aren't all the best letters to make words out of.

I see a lot of people talking about different methods to memorize twisted corners/edges, and I don't really get what the problem is. If my twisted corner is UBR, why don't I just memorize [UBR] [BUR]? It's executed the same way, and even if you executed twisted pieces differently, you'd obviously know it was twisted when you got there. Am I missing something in regards to why this would be difficult? Is it different for 3-style or something?

Also can someone please explain to me U2 and M2 for 5BLD cross centers? I can't quite figure out some targets, and I'm not sure which would be better (U2 or M2).

Berd

WCA
2014LONG06
YouTube
Visit Channel
I would likely do something similar, my only issue is that it A) Limits the amount of different images you could have, which makes any given image less unique and thus harder to remember, and B) That makes like twice as many images in your memo, which I guess is unavoidable and one of the reasons megaminx BLD is hard. Also I probably wouldn't do just A-L and A-E, since those aren't all the best letters to make words out of.

I see a lot of people talking about different methods to memorize twisted corners/edges, and I don't really get what the problem is. If my twisted corner is UBR, why don't I just memorize [UBR] [BUR]? It's executed the same way, and even if you executed twisted pieces differently, you'd obviously know it was twisted when you got there. Am I missing something in regards to why this would be difficult? Is it different for 3-style or something?

Also can someone please explain to me U2 and M2 for 5BLD cross centers? I can't quite figure out some targets, and I'm not sure which would be better (U2 or M2).
U2 for +centers is quite easy. Corey S. Has a video on it.

SoySauS

U2 for +centers is quite easy. Corey S. Has a video on it.

i do like it, but i might still end up doing M2. What's the M2 parity algorithm? I will be solving in this order: +-Centers; X-Centers; Wings; Midges; Corners.

I could also switch X-Centers and +-Centers, if required by the parity algorithm.

Animorpher13

WCA
2015ELSP01
I am completely confused when it comes to cycles. I can't make head or tails of any of it. The rest of the method (OP) is fine, it's just telling when a cycle in done, starting a new one, and telling when the cube is done and the like that makes little sense to me. If you had this problem too, how did you figure it out? Or, where can I look to get a good understanding of just cycles?

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
It's confusing isn't it? Noah's videos are helpful but something more concise would help. I'm sure that there is something out there. In the meantime...
The first cycle ends when you get to the buffer piece so for OP corner solvers that is the UBL piece. Do not memo it going to the UBL slot. The last letter of the cycle is the one that takes you to the piece. Remember that the buffer always sorts itself out so you never need to touch it.
Next, choose an unsolved piece. Any sticker will do. I go for my target sticker (RDF for OP corners) if not solved already. Otherwise I choose either an easy set up or any easy memo letter. You then continue with this cycle until you get back to this piece, and you will have to memo the letter sticker that takes you back unlike the buffer case.
Then start a new cycle in the same way until solved.
To work out if the cube is solved then check if you have done something with each piece after each cycle (don't worry about the buffer). You can put your finger tips on ecah piece but there are formulas available.
Twisted corners or edges are whole cycles in themselves. They can be left to the end if you wish. For an edge, memo both stickers in either order. For corners memo one sticker and then memo where that sticker should go. I go for the easiest to remember letter pair.
Once you understand this you'll wonder why you struggled so much.
Hope this helps.

SoySauS

For edge/corner parity on 3x3, I execute (D' L2 D) M2 (D' L2 D) after solving edges and before solving corners. On 5x5 though, for midge/corner parity, this leaves me with weird swapped edges and stuff. Hard to explain. What do you guys do for midge/corner parity on 5x5?

h2f

Premium Member
WCA
2014PACE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I haven't heard. But if you want to transist to BH read Noah's thread about it - and you will start with something between BH and OP. I am just in the middle of transition.

h2f

Premium Member
WCA
2014PACE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
How to finger trick 2D moves in 5bld? In 4 bld I do it as 2D. In 5 bld 2R I do like 2RwR2 for example. But I dont have idea for fingertrick od 2D layer and E layer.