• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Chenkar

Well, he was talking about memoing cubies (of wwhich there are 24), so 24 people isnt that much.

Id seriously just recommend using a lettering scheme and just having an object for every letter pair - this sounds just as hard, but many people (like chris hardwick) have already done this and so you can use that. I do.

Okay, i'll try it... my math must be off, i'm getting 22*24=528 letter pairs... but I don't think it's that much

Jason Lee

WCA
2010TATL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
How do you solve UBL>FUL>URF with bh? And why? Because I'm learning bh but I just don't know when or how to "insert" and interchange. Also, another problem is that whenever I try to solve a cycle, the pieces that I want to cycle will always be twisted at the end but they are in correct position, any idea how to fix it?

Last edited:

STOCKY7

WCA
2011STOC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
First do a set up move of R' then the cycle: U B U', F2, U B' U', F2 then undo set up move by doing an R. hope this helps!

Twisted corners sound like you're doing the wrong cycle for those particular locations - I'd definitely strongly suggest solving corners sighted using your BLD method to understand BH better and see where you're going wrong.

MatsBergsten

Premium Member
WCA
2008BERG04
I bought a Megaminx and want to learn to solve it blindfolded.

But just to come up with a memory system for that many pieces...
Ok, I think I have ideas as to that.

Then I am trying to figure out how to solve, commutators of course.
Is there a list of comms somewhere, I have not found it? Corner comms
I can figure out some, but edge comms? There are no slice moves!!!!

You who have actually done it (or at least tried), do you use comms all
over the Minx or do you use LL-comms with a lot of setup moves?
(Sort of like Turbo-bld for 3x3).

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks but can you also show me the common ways of inserting in BH corners?

Here are some common ones.

Direct insert RDF to the U layer at URF: R' D' R

Drop and catch LDF to the U layer at URF: R' D R

Toss up to insert UFL to the D layer at FRD: R U' R'

Drop and catch FDL to the R layer at URF (used for the 11 movers): U L' U'
- This case is UBR -> DBR -> UFL which I execute as (L U) [(U L' U') (R2) (U L U') (R2)] (U' L') or with the cancellations: L U2 L' U' R2 U L U' R2 U' L'

5-mover to insert URF to the L layer at DFL (used for the 12 movers): U' F2 U F2 U
- This case is UBL -> UFR -> DFL which I execute as (U' F2 U F2 U) L2 (U' F2 U' F2 U) L2

Cyclic shift case inserts FRD to the U layer at UFR with a four move insertion: R F' R' F
- This case is UBL -> LFU -> BRU which I execute as R' F U2 F' R F R' U2 R F' This is a cyclic shift of the case FRD -> URF -> UBL with R F' R' F U2 F' R F R' U2 where you execute this alg with the setup turns F R' before the alg, and the setdown turns R F' after the alg. It looks like this: (F R') R F' R' F U2 F' R F R' U2 (R F') = R' F U2 F' R F R' U2 R F' and this last alg is called the cyclic shift of the first, starting on the third turn of the original alg.

Tao Yu

WCA
2012YUTA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks but can you also show me the common ways of inserting in BH corners?

I've always liked Brian Yu's tutorial for that (The video links are broken on that page, but you can find the videos on his youtube channel).

Learn how to recognize the different types of commutators from his tutorial and then find a few good ways to execute each type of commutator. This will take trial and error and lots of playing around with the cube.

A few tips:
  • All cyclic shifts can be solved by one alg, just mirrored, inverted or rotated in some way. I use R U R' F' R U R2 U' R' F R U R2 U2' R'. There are other good algs though.
  • The same is true for Columns. To solve columns, I set them up to some rotation/mirror/inverse of
     Twizzle link 
    [U' R2:[R U2 R', D ] ]
    (This is a setup to an A9). It may be hard to figure out, but all columns can be solved using this alg.
  • The same is also true for per specials. The alg that he gives is pretty good.
Keep in mind that you don't have to do them in this way, it's just that these are the fastest ways I have found of executing them. There are most likely faster ways.

In the case of the cycle you gave, my thought process for figuring it out would be:
  1. It is not a pure, orthogonal, cyclic shift, column or per special case.
  2. Therefore it must be an A9. (A9s are probably the hardest to recognise)
  3. I would look for a setup to a pure commutator that gives me a cancellation. (This takes trial and error)
  4.  Twizzle link 
    [xR2:[D2,RU2R']]
    works. (This is one move shorter than STOCKY7's solution btw)

Edit: This is more for 3 style. Some of the things that I have said aren't move optimal.

Last edited:
WCA
2009SHEE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You who have actually done it (or at least tried), do you use comms all
over the Minx or do you use LL-comms with a lot of setup moves?
(Sort of like Turbo-bld for 3x3).

Personally, I used 3-cycles to do pseudo-2-cycles (sort of like having two buffers and you alternate the direction of the 3-cycle), using essentially 3-cycle PLLs. I know this has also been done with 2+2-cycle PLLs instead of 3-cycles. This can be extended to some other easy 3-cycles that aren't PLLs if you like, easy for some corner cases but less easy for edges.

Try [[R L' : F'], U] on a 3x3, but don't think of R L' as a slice move, then you will see one way of making edge comms on a megaminx. Also, try R U R' U R' U' R2 U' R' U R' U R U2' on a megaminx for my preferred edge 3-cycle, or perhaps (F U R U' R' F') (B' R' U' R U B), I hope it is clear what turns I mean.

Of course, you can modify this a little to setup to 3-cycles to solve 2 targets at once instead of 1, which is much harder obviously but it looks like this is used in the current UWR (I didn't check too carefully though) and I may try it when I return to this event.

Good luck with your attempts :)

RageCuber

WCA
2014RYAN03
YouTube
Visit Channel
this subject has probably been beaten to death already, but I keep DNF-ing by two flipped edges (not flipped in the first place)
its probably due to me rushing, the other day a i got a 5:xy DNF off by one T-perm :\
also I have a less common problem, I can do about three blind attempts in a row then I start mixing up the targets in my head.

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
this subject has probably been beaten to death already, but I keep DNF-ing by two flipped edges (not flipped in the first place)
its probably due to me rushing, the other day a i got a 5:xy DNF off by one T-perm :\

If you shoot to the correct location, but the incorrect sticker on that target, then you will place that piece flipped (in place, but incorrect orientation). This pulls the edge from that location into your buffer, but flipped from how you memorized it. If you correctly shoot to the next target as per your memorization, the piece will end up flipped because it was flipped in the buffer from the start. End result is that you end up with two correctly permuted, but flipped, edges. I imagine this is what is happening if you start with no correctly permuted but disoriented edges, and DNF with two of them.

also I have a less common problem, I can do about three blind attempts in a row then I start mixing up the targets in my head.

Over time you will be able to do more solves in a row before this interference will begin to affect you. You can switch to a memory method that uses loci (Roman Rooms, journeys) and this will substantially increase the number of solves you can do in a day before hitting your interference limit. Make sure you have a large number of memory locations available if you go this route. If you use sentences/visual then just practice often and fight through the interference and your interference limit will increase over time.