• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Sakarie

WCA
2008SKAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
what happens if i dont do R perm for parity?
i had a parity case but forgot to do R perm and was off by a R perm, y perm,2 twisted corners
does that mean i messed up something else besides parity?

It was of by bo an R-perm and Y-perm? Wasn't it just a threecycle of corners? I can't say for sure, but it's probably something else too.

majikat

WCA
2003ATKI01
I assume my question/issue has been addressed before,
But I've been unable to find help by searching.
I'm currently trying to learn M2- I know how to BLD solve using a plain 3OP (I think that's the right terminology) from Richard Carr's document I found on Jessica Fridrich's site quite a few years ago.
I pretty much understand the M2, I started by experimenting with the old Pochmann system which I picked up pretty quick, but now my problem (like many other cubers, I think) is the M-slice edges.
I think all I need is some clarification on how they work exactly...do you memorize the orientation of the M edges when memorizing the cube, so you know which M edges need to be flipped at the end?
And sometimes when I'm trying an M2 solve with eyes open, I end up with all the pieces in place, except the M centers are off by a half turn.
Am I supposed to memorize where the M centers are throughout the solve, and fix it at the end ? That doesn't quite make sense to me...I assume I'm missing something here.
I think those are the main problems I've got.
For some reason I'm just having trouble understanding exactly how those M edges work.
Thanks!

Litz

You memorize them like you would memorize any piece (this one has to go here, this one there, starting from the buffer piece). Naturally, if they are on the right place but oriented incorrectly, you'll need to orient them in the end.

Your buffer sticker is DF so to shoot to UB you do M2. To shoot to BU, FU, UF, BD and DB, you use an algorithm. What happens is, everytime you do M2, your centers change, so it's not so linear.

Imagine your normal front color is red, and the normal back color is orange. When you do M2, your front center will be orange (which is incorrect). Because of that, if you have the orange center on the front face and need to shoot to UF, if you were to shoot to UF, it would actually be in DB after fixing the centers. As such, to solve UF in this case, you'd actually shoot to DB instead since the current DB is actually UF.

Basically, if the centers are swapped, the following changes happen: UF <-> DB, FU <-> BD. Everything else remains the same. As to how to memorize this, there's many ways. The way I do it is using my right foot. I start with the foot resting on the floor and whenever I solve an edge, I swap its position (from resting on floor to heel on floor only). This way, if I have to shoot to UF, FU, DB or BD and my foot isn't resting, I know the centers are swapped so I shoot to the opposite sticker.

Also, remember if you do an uneven number of M2s, your centers will be swapped so you need to fix them in the end (parity).

This is a bit hard to explain like this so let me know if you need clarification on something.

majikat

WCA
2003ATKI01
Ah that actually helps quite a lot :) Thanks!!
I didn't ever consider how UF and DB also switched with M2.
I think it'll probably just take some practice to get used to.
I'll keep working on it, and come back if I have more troubles.

nickvu2

WCA
2007VUNI01
Hmm...how would one approach 6BLD? Here's what I'm thinking: center centers, x centers, cw centers, ccw centers, inner edges, outer edges, corners. (I just made up the names; hopefully you can still follow.) Would that work? Is there a better approach?

Jakube

WCA
2011KOGL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Sure, this would work.
I tried one yesterday, but with a other approach. x centers, center centers, cw centers, ccw centers, corners, outer edges, inner edges.
But the order isn´t really important.

Cubenovice

Forever Slow
Check out the thread on memo methods :)

Often used:
- Visual

- journey / story/ roman rooms
Assign a letter to each sticker on the cube (except centers)
Assign words to each letter (one word per letter or one word for every possible pair of letters)
Make a sentence or story with the words OR visualise the story without actually "saying" the words in your head

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hmm...how would one approach 6BLD? Here's what I'm thinking: center centers, x centers, cw centers, ccw centers, inner edges, outer edges, corners. (I just made up the names; hopefully you can still follow.) Would that work? Is there a better approach?

That should work fine, and I don't think there's much that you could change to make it better. I do corners first (so I don't have to commit them to long-term memory), but leaving corner parity for last. Then I do (using your names for them) x centers, center centers, ccw centers, cw centers, inner edges, outer edges. I do think it's best to do edges last, since that way you can solve parity without worrying as much about messing up centers.

I had a 28:48.89 success this week for the weekly competition! :D

Ickenicke

YouTube
Visit Channel
Check out the thread on memo methods :)

Often used:
- Visual

- journey / story/ roman rooms
Assign a letter to each sticker on the cube (except centers)
Assign words to each letter (one word per letter or one word for every possible pair of letters)
Make a sentence or story with the words OR visualise the story without actually "saying" the words in your head

Does that work if I am using 3OP for corners

DYGH.Tjen

WCA
2012TJEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Guys. This probably is not so bld-related but more to software. However I couldn't find a software one-answer question thread, and was lazy to start a new thread. Could you give me a step-by-step solution on how to generate algs? I have CubeExplorer and ACube downloaded 1(which version should I use, and which program among these do you guys prefer?).

The first step would probably to colour the facelets according to the case on my cube (I'm generating 3-cycles btw). Then for ACube, there's this RUD thing and wut pre-post ignore I have no idea thing.

So what else should I do to get algs that are shown on riffz's page for example? And sakarie's page. I saw quite a number of wide turns in aron's reconstructions, too. How do you get them? Any idea?

Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for reading this :).

aronpm

The algs are just based off commutators, it takes some trial and error to find fast commutators.

As for generating algs in general, I think ACube 4 is really good. You can restrict move sets to something like <R,R',R2,U,U',U2,D,D'>, etc, and I think pre-ignoring moves is basically like AUF.

riffz

WCA
2009HOLT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Guys. This probably is not so bld-related but more to software. However I couldn't find a software one-answer question thread, and was lazy to start a new thread. Could you give me a step-by-step solution on how to generate algs? I have CubeExplorer and ACube downloaded 1(which version should I use, and which program among these do you guys prefer?).

The first step would probably to colour the facelets according to the case on my cube (I'm generating 3-cycles btw). Then for ACube, there's this RUD thing and wut pre-post ignore I have no idea thing.

So what else should I do to get algs that are shown on riffz's page for example? And sakarie's page. I saw quite a number of wide turns in aron's reconstructions, too. How do you get them? Any idea?

Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for reading this :).

We don't really use software to generate most of the commutators we use. You'd be better off learning how to intuitively solve cycles using BH. After a while your understanding of commutators will allow you to generate speed optimal algs as well.

But if you really want software, I definitely recommend ACube.

PandaCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Ive never solved a cube blindfolded. But i understand old ponchman(using Yperms and Tperms). I can write out the solve and then do it BLD but ive never took time to memorize. Well my question is, what is the best bld method, cause i really dont like ponchmans method.

wontolla

WCA
2011GRAJ01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ive never solved a cube blindfolded. But i understand old ponchman(using Yperms and Tperms). I can write out the solve and then do it BLD but ive never took time to memorize. Well my question is, what is the best bld method, cause i really dont like ponchmans method.

There is no "best bld method", but probably your next step is to learn M2 which is similar to old Pochmann, but instead of Yperms you do...well... M2.

But if you want to learn a method that solves two pieces at a time instead of one, you could take a look at TuRBo.