• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!
C

Cubinwitdapizza

Wtf is 3 style? How does blind solving even work?I tried watching a video but just got more confused.
To know what 3 style is you have to know how blind works. In blind you have to memorize not all the stickers on the cube, but all the pieces. So there are 54 stickers on the cube but there are only 20 pieces. (12 edges and 8 corners.) So instead of memorizing all 54 stickers you memorize 20 stickers. So you have a buffer piece which is the first piece you look at. For most beginners it’s the UR position (for edges). Intermediates, DF position. Advanced (3 style) I really have no idea. anyway, you look at where your buffer piece needs to go, let’s say UL then you would memorize D (this is the speffz lettering scheme I would advise looking up a picture because it would take really long for me to write.) anyway for beginners you will use a t perm to swap pieces. A T perm, swaps the UR with the UL Edge piece. So this would swap the buffer, B with D. So to swap to other locations, you will do setup moves. So these setup moves can be anything unless it affects the buffer or 2 corners around it. So let’s say I wanted to swap to L. The setup move would be L’ because it is right under D so we can just do that move to put it up there and then a T perm. So when you memorize L as the first piece, you will see what piece is in L. So it could be practically any letter on the cube. So then we just look at where that piece needs to go (using the lettering scheme) and than do the setup moves for that. That was edges. Now for corners it’s the same concept but you use a y perm without the F move at the beginning. That will swap to V in your lettering scheme. So you do different setup moves to v. Keep in mind that the corners lettering scheme is different then edges. There is something else called parity that I am not going to talk about. So 3 style is where instead of solving 1 piece ant a time you solve 2 using commutators. Look up how comma work as well and j perm has a good video on it. But that’s basically all. This took me a really long time to right so I hope you guys enjoyed lol.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
To know what 3 style is you have to know how blind works. In blind you have to memorize not all the stickers on the cube, but all the pieces. So there are 54 stickers on the cube but there are only 20 pieces. (12 edges and 8 corners.) So instead of memorizing all 54 stickers you memorize 20 stickers. So you have a buffer piece which is the first piece you look at. For most beginners it’s the UR position (for edges). Intermediates, DF position. Advanced (3 style) I really have no idea. anyway, you look at where your buffer piece needs to go, let’s say UL then you would memorize D (this is the speffz lettering scheme I would advise looking up a picture because it would take really long for me to write.) anyway for beginners you will use a t perm to swap pieces. A T perm, swaps the UR with the UL Edge piece. So this would swap the buffer, B with D. So to swap to other locations, you will do setup moves. So these setup moves can be anything unless it affects the buffer or 2 corners around it. So let’s say I wanted to swap to L. The setup move would be L’ because it is right under D so we can just do that move to put it up there and then a T perm. So when you memorize L as the first piece, you will see what piece is in L. So it could be practically any letter on the cube. So then we just look at where that piece needs to go (using the lettering scheme) and than do the setup moves for that. That was edges. Now for corners it’s the same concept but you use a y perm without the F move at the beginning. That will swap to V in your lettering scheme. So you do different setup moves to v. Keep in mind that the corners lettering scheme is different then edges. There is something else called parity that I am not going to talk about. So 3 style is where instead of solving 1 piece ant a time you solve 2 using commutators. Look up how comma work as well and j perm has a good video on it. But that’s basically all. This took me a really long time to right so I hope you guys enjoyed lol.
Gj.
So I am getting into blind and I want to know what memorization method i should start with. I use Old Pochmann for edges and corners but I plan on switching to m2 eventually. If you can also give tips on what memorization method you would recommend that would be great.
Letter pairs are the best for me. Here's an an example - HeLlo MaNny, you just DesTroyed my GaN.
Plus, is learning R2 worth it?

zman

So I am getting into blind and I want to know what memorization method i should start with. I use Old Pochmann for edges and corners but I plan on switching to m2 eventually. If you can also give tips on what memorization method you would recommend that would be great.
Memorize corners first by turning the letters you memorize into letter pairs, and turning those letter pairs into words which you visualize in "images" inside your head. Example:
AP DG CN
If i got these i would think "APple DoG CaN" and visualize these objects in my head

Then you memorize edges by saying the letter pairs as sounds, called "audio memo." Example:
LT BE TR GP
I'd say this inside my head, just pronouncing the pairs like "lat bee tar gap." Just one syllable sounds, they dont have to be real words.

Then you put on the blindfold and execute edges first. Since you memorized them with audio, they're easier to forgot so you do them first. Then you execute corners last because they were memorized with images which is easier to remember for longer.

Gj.
Plus, is learning R2 worth it?
No. More complicated than OP and doesnt save many moves over OP. Just switch immediately to 3-style

LucJar56

I don’t know of anybody that uses UF/DFR. If you use UF for Edges, It’s basically required to use UFR for Corners. So, I’d suggest switching to UFR.
Kaijun lin uses these buffers and has gotten 18.50 former wr single.
So I’m quite curious on how good the DFR buffer is. But I just don’t know an efficient or speed-optimal way of solving parity. I’ve already learnt UFR btw

C

Cubinwitdapizza

I love how I wrote an essay on how blind works. I tend to do that a lot.

Jazeeba

Is speffz actually useful for learning from other people? Is it worth it? I learnt by going round the faces in a different order (UFRBLD). It’s so similar, I’m thinking I should change it while I still can. I don’t want to re-learn it if it makes no real difference though.

LucJar56

Is speffz actually useful for learning from other people? Is it worth it? I learnt by going round the faces in a different order (UFRBLD). It’s so similar, I’m thinking I should change it while I still can. I don’t want to re-learn it if it makes no real difference though.
You don’t need to learn speffz.
A lot of BLDers use another form of speffz or something very different.
If I was you I would keep with your lettering scheme, but at the end of the day it’s your choice.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Nah don’t change, no point. There isn’t any advantage to Speffz nor disadvantages.
Plus what you’re using, I use too! It’s called KRZ Format unofficially here
Check out the bottom of the thread.

I

ImNotFastImSlow

Hello,is it possible to use other PLL algorithms using the same principals (setup moves, shooting, buffer position/piece,etc.) as Old Pochmann?

I use your format, and I am sub-40. My memo is usually sub-12, so you can stick with KRZ.

KingCanyon

WCA
2015KIND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Any specific memo techniques that many of you use for 3x3 blind M2/Old Pochmann? I find it hard to come up with words for some letter pairs that are obscure. It usually takes me way too long to come up with words and it wastes memo. Either that or I come up with two words per letter pair, but that is sometimes hard to remember. I’m fine for corners though because I use audio.

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Any specific memo techniques that many of you use for 3x3 blind M2/Old Pochmann? I find it hard to come up with words for some letter pairs that are obscure. It usually takes me way too long to come up with words and it wastes memo. Either that or I come up with two words per letter pair, but that is sometimes hard to remember. I’m fine for corners though because I use audio.
I use a simplified version of speffz, where each piece is its own word instead of every two pieces getting their own word, so I just brute forced and wrote down all of my words before I started practicing.
I wouldn't recommend using my system, but you can use this website to help you find good words for tricky letter pairs. Just look for ones with tricky letters or similar letters (c/s, c/k, etc.) so you don't have to deal with the hard ones on the fly. I would also check good ones after you're more familiar with your own words to see if there's something better that you missed.

Bestsiteever used to have a web app to generate words based on letter pairs, but I can't find it anymore. I guess it was replaced by this, which makes sense.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
This is the reason why I’m not too good a BLD. It’ll probably go away with practise though (which I basically never do)

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes, keep a list. It's helpful for noting words/images for tricky pairs, and also you can update it over time to improve your system by eliminating similar images, or images that are difficult to visualise, etc. A tool like Anki is helpful for learning the images. Many people use Google sheets but personally I keep my list in a format that is easy to import into Anki.

Keroma12

WCA
2010MATT02
YouTube
Visit Channel