• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Duncan Bannon

For someone who know next to nothing about blind, should I learn M2 or Old Pochmann? And For corners? I just want to be able to solve it blind in a few min.

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
For someone who know next to nothing about blind, should I learn M2 or Old Pochmann? And For corners? I just want to be able to solve it blind in a few min.

Old Pochmann (for edges and corners) is probably slightly easier for a beginner. I know a couple people who started with M2 edges, but for me personally, it was hard to grasp when I just started out.

coldsun0630

YouTube
Visit Channel
Question: How can I remember orientations (like corner twists or edge flip) with letter pairs method for long time? By tapping stickers, it's not that hard to remember when there're less than 5 cubes, but it doesn't really work when there are 20~30 or more cubes. In addition, for edges, you only have to remember which one is flipped, but for corners, you also have to memorize the direction to orient them. Any suggestions?

Cale S

WCA
2014SCHO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Question: How can I remember orientations (like corner twists or edge flip) with letter pairs method for long time? By tapping stickers, it's not that hard to remember when there're less than 5 cubes, but it doesn't really work when there are 20~30 or more cubes. In addition, for edges, you only have to remember which one is flipped, but for corners, you also have to memorize the direction to orient them. Any suggestions?

The first letter of the pair is one sticker, and the second is where that sticker needs to go

If you executed these two targets it actually solves the twist or flip, but you could also juts use an alg

coldsun0630

YouTube
Visit Channel
The first letter of the pair is one sticker, and the second is where that sticker needs to go

If you executed these two targets it actually solves the twist or flip, but you could also juts use an alg
Thank you, this is gonna work well for me.

In execution, the method you've mentioned seems to work only for M2/R2. How do people solve them in 3-style? Just doing setup+alg?

Hazel

Premium Member
A few questions:
1: If a multiblind time is just a cutoff and it's all about points, wouldn't it be better to always skip the last turn so you would get a bunch of +2's? Or does that affect your point number?
2: During a MBLD memo, do you use visual for both corners and edges? And if you use one room (memory palace) per cube, how do you remember when to stop solving edges and switch to corners (or vise versa)?

WCA
2015PEAR02
YouTube
Visit Channel
A few questions:
1: If a multiblind time is just a cutoff and it's all about points, wouldn't it be better to always skip the last turn so you would get a bunch of +2's? Or does that affect your point number?
2: During a MBLD memo, do you use visual for both corners and edges? And if you use one room (memory palace) per cube, how do you remember when to stop solving edges and switch to corners (or vise versa)?
1. Time matters when the points are the same.
E.g. A 7/8 in 52:34 beats an 8/10 in 53:13

2. I don't think anyone really uses visual memo at all, unless it's the 3BLD solve or something. And remembering when to switch is just kind of a feeling thing. It's best to seperate the 'stories' in between corners and edges and I personally keep them pretty far apart in the room. It's quite easy to just quickly estimate the number of targets there should be for each as well if you seperate the stories.

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
A few questions:
When you say "visual" do you mean images? If so then yes, almost everyone uses it for edges and corners in MBLD.
There will always be some sort of break in between edge and corner memo. Usually a different location but within the same room.

U

Underwatercuber

A few questions:
1. Time matters so you need to be sure to not do that or if someone ties you with points then they would win if your +2s add up enough on your time.
2. I personally don't do any visual unless it's the last 3bld cube but I think I remember @sigalig mentioning he memos flipped edges visually

sigalig

WCA
2016SIGG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
1. Time matters so you need to be sure to not do that or if someone ties you with points then they would win if your +2s add up enough on your time.
2. I personally don't do any visual unless it's the last 3bld cube but I think I remember @sigalig mentioning he memos flipped edges visually

If I ever get more than one flipped edge or more than one twisted corner in a scramble, I memo them visually, yes. I think Aerma may be getting confused with terminology though, by "visual" I'm guessing he means the visual story that you put in a room. @Aerma , normally people use the term visual to refer to basically what I would call a brute force memorization, where you try to take a mental snapshot of the actual cube, and remember whatever relevant pieces from that mental snapshot.

For M2, DB as buffer makes a lot more sense, because for setup moves instead of doing B moves you are doing F moves, which are easier to finger trick. I really don't see why you would use DF/FD, except that that is how the method was developed. But if you are new to learning then it makes a lot of sense to learn it that way. Are there any cons to DB/BD as buffer?

Last edited by a moderator:

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
For M2, DB as buffer makes a lot more sense, because for setup moves instead of doing B moves you are doing F moves, which are easier to finger trick. I really don't see why you would use DF/FD, except that that is how the method was developed. But if you are new to learning then it makes a lot of sense to learn it that way. Are there any cons to DB/BD as buffer?
You're right, and tbh this would probably be faster. But there are a few reasons why you might not want to do this:

1) Your buffer pieces is hard to see, which means you will need to spend some time peeking at the entire DB piece to determine how you're starting your memo. DF is much more visible.

2) DB is a worse buffer for 3-style, which is something that you will want to switch to in the future. You want most of your algorithms to involve "nicer" pieces, i.e. ones on the U/F/R layers. This makes DF better than DB as a 3-style buffer.

(However, UF is a better buffer than both of them, and UR or UB are good choices too. If you want to switch to 3-style, you might find you want to change buffer anyway, so this second point would no longer be a disadvantage. In fact, the M2 algs for DB buffer work well as comms for 3-style UF buffer, so it might actually be an advantage of using DB for M2.)

3) Fewer resources are available, though everything is quite intuitive anyway, so this shouldn't be much of a problem. It certainly won't be a problem in the long term.

Hazel

Premium Member
If I ever get more than one flipped edge or more than one twisted corner in a scramble, I memo them visually, yes. I think Aerma may be getting confused with terminology though, by "visual" I'm guessing she means the visual story that you put in a room. @Aerma , normally people use the term visual to refer to basically what I would call a brute force memorization, where you try to take a mental snapshot of the actual cube, and remember whatever relevant pieces from that mental snapshot.
Oh yes, I meant images :)
Also, if I get a letter pair that I can't quickly think of an image for (maybe like QD or something), what should I do?