• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

SoySauS

How to finger trick 2D moves in 5bld? In 4 bld I do it as 2D. In 5 bld 2R I do like 2RwR2 for example. But I dont have idea for fingertrick od 2D layer and E layer.

I kinda do Dw with my left ring finger and then D' with my right ring finger.

SoySauS

For big cube wings, there are the targets on the l-slice that you set-up to BUr. Why don't you set them up to something easier to execute? For example, couldn't you set-up FDl to FRd (with F'), execute [(U R U') r2 (U R' U')], and then undo with F?

edit: never mind, I just tried it and i'm super dumb

Cale S

WCA
2014SCHO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
For big cube wings, there are the targets on the l-slice that you set-up to BUr. Why don't you set them up to something easier to execute? For example, couldn't you set-up FDl to FRd (with F'), execute [(U R U') r2 (U R' U')], and then undo with F?

Doing that F' move would also move the buffer, so it wouldn't work to do that. You could do an l2 U setup to RU which is an easy target, but you would have to keep that setup move for both of the targets of that letter pair, because undoing the l2 U would ruin the r slice interchange.

h2f

Premium Member
WCA
2014PACE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I didnt determined that doing moves like d, u etc. is importatant for me for doing centers - both x and + centers. I do them with 3-style which Ive learnt from Ollies tutorial. For wings and midges I use r2/m2 which I execute as Rw2/R2 and Rw3/Rw2 (for M slice). For x and + centers i just use layers d, u or E and its uncomfortable.

Keroma12

WCA
2010MATT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is there a good source which thoroughly goes through floating buffers? I've searched but haven't really found one that satisfied me.

This is my understanding for centers: You start with a buffer on U, and memorize normally until you get to a center that belongs on U. If you have an even number of targets, then you can just switch to the next buffer and start over again, doing this until the fourth buffer is solved.

If you had an odd number of targets at the end of a buffer, what are the most common ways to deal with this? One way I saw is to add a 2-cycle at the end, but what if you can't find a 2-cycle of centers?

If you solve the fourth buffer but the centers aren't done, would you just continue breaking into cycles on the fourth buffer, or switch back to your first buffer?

For wings, how would all of these differ? It seems like you can't just add a 2-cycle of wings very easily.

tseitsei

WCA
2012LEHT01
Is there a good source which thoroughly goes through floating buffers? I've searched but haven't really found one that satisfied me.
Can't really help with that.
This is my understanding for centers: You start with a buffer on U, and memorize normally until you get to a center that belongs on U. If you have an even number of targets, then you can just switch to the next buffer and start over again, doing this until the fourth buffer is solved.
This is true.

If you had an odd number of targets at the end of a buffer, what are the most common ways to deal with this? One way I saw is to add a 2-cycle at the end, but what if you can't find a 2-cycle of centers?
You can just add any target from the U-layer (assuming your buffer is at U-layer) to the end of centers to make it a 3-cycle. So you are actually doing a 3-cycle but it looks like 2-cycle since 2 of the pieces are identical...

If you solve the fourth buffer but the centers aren't done, would you just continue breaking into cycles on the fourth buffer, or switch back to your first buffer?
Both will work just fine. You can pick which you want to use.

For wings, how would all of these differ? It seems like you can't just add a 2-cycle of wings very easily.

First of all I STRONGLY suggest NOT using floating buffer for anything else than centers.
Secondly wing 2-cycles are quite common. All normal OLL-parity algs are wing 2-cycles (not all are center safe though so be careful...) and also some of the K4 LL cases are useful...

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
There are a lot of wasted moves in M2 eg last move for FL is U then first move for BL is U'. Would you guys automatically cancel that move if doing FL then BL? Is that something you would practice? Or maybe you would have moved on to a more advanced method by the time you are that good?

Berd

WCA
2014LONG06
YouTube
Visit Channel
There are a lot of wasted moves in M2 eg last move for FL is U then first move for BL is U'. Would you guys automatically cancel that move if doing FL then BL? Is that something you would practice? Or maybe you would have moved on to a more advanced method by the time you are that good?
Advanced M2 does something similar to what you're saying. Zane has a video on it.

SoySauS

I'm looking for a system to flip corners and edges. I would like to set-up to a specific spot, do an algorithm that flips the piece and the buffer, and then undo the set-up. If multiple spots are required for good set-ups that's okay, too. I'd just like to develop a single alg for every piece (cw and ccw for corners, obviously). My buffer for corners is UBL and my buffer for edges is DF. They don't need to be center-safe (they can rotate the centers, since I execute centers first on big cubes anyway), but they should be big cube safe in general (ie the edge flips don't mess with wings on a 5x5, etc). For now I'm not really interested in flipping multiple non-buffer pieces, since those situations don't come up a lot and aren't really universal. Thanks for your help!

Berd

WCA
2014LONG06
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm looking for a system to flip corners and edges. I would like to set-up to a specific spot, do an algorithm that flips the piece and the buffer, and then undo the set-up. If multiple spots are required for good set-ups that's okay, too. I'd just like to develop a single alg for every piece (cw and ccw for corners, obviously). My buffer for corners is UBL and my buffer for edges is DF. They don't need to be center-safe (they can rotate the centers, since I execute centers first on big cubes anyway), but they should be big cube safe in general (ie the edge flips don't mess with wings on a 5x5, etc). For now I'm not really interested in flipping multiple non-buffer pieces, since those situations don't come up a lot and aren't really universal. Thanks for your help!
For corners you can use the sune from right, sune from left and it's inverse. Check out the COLLs. For edges I have a video but be warned, it's not center preserving!

Blind Tip! - Edge Flipping: https://youtu.be/y8te-BJ0eMo

SoySauS

For corners you can use the sune from right, sune from left and it's inverse. Check out the COLLs. For edges I have a video but be warned, it's not center preserving!

Blind Tip! - Edge Flipping: https://youtu.be/y8te-BJ0eMo

That edge stuff is very handy. I don't see what you mean by sune, doesn't that rotate more than just 2 corners? And by not center preserving, do you mean they rotate centers or do you mean they switch pieces between centers?

Berd

WCA
2014LONG06
YouTube
Visit Channel
That edge stuff is very handy. I don't see what you mean by sune, doesn't that rotate more than just 2 corners? And by not center preserving, do you mean they rotate centers or do you mean they switch pieces between centers?
They destroy the centers. Tho on big cubes, it doesn't take so long to shoot to both targets.

For the sune algs:

R U R' U R U2 R' L' U' L U' L' U2 L

Inverse it for the other way.

SoySauS

They destroy the centers. Tho on big cubes, it doesn't take so long to shoot to both targets.

For the sune algs:

R U R' U R U2 R' L' U' L U' L' U2 L

Inverse it for the other way.

oh i see, i thought you meant like sune from the right as one option, sune from the left as another option (not the two combined). Would you happen to know any that rotated two diagonal corners on the U face? That way I could setup to UFR and not just UFL and UBR.

Berd

WCA
2014LONG06
YouTube
Visit Channel
oh i see, i thought you meant like sune from the right as one option, sune from the left as another option (not the two combined). Would you happen to know any that rotated two diagonal corners on the U face? That way I could setup to UFR and not just UFL and UBR.
Just do like a F' to set it up and do the sune algs haha.

ChaozCubing

YouTube
Visit Channel
Please answer ASAP: okay I'm learning how to solve 3x3 BLD using the old pochman method and Zane C's tutorial. My question is, how do I keep track of which pieces I've solved? I know how to keep track of the number of ones I've solved using t = u + c, but how do I know WHICH are solved? This is to make sure when I'm breaking into a new cycle, I shoot the buffer to an unsolved piece. Thanks!