• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!
Hi there. I''m switching to 3-styles but I get trouble while creating cycles. I''m previously use 3OP so there are a few thing I dont know. What do you do when you have a coner that''s in the right position but not the right orientation, you just keep it for later and then twist it later with the buffer like in 3OP, or you create a new cycle to twist it. If you create a new cycle, is there any tip for me cause I get a bit stuck right there.

goodatthis

WCA
2014CAVA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey, sorry for asking another question in a short time, but what are some good order of tasks and parity methods associated with them for 5BLD? I use U2/U2/M2/r2/OP.

What I was thinking to optimize memo:

Memo corners
Memo midges
Memo wings
Memo X centers
Memo T centers
---------
Solve T centers
U2 Parity
Solve X centers
U2 Parity
Solve wings
Parity alg
Solve midges
???
Solve corners

I'm not quite sure how to do parity between midges and corners, and also how to deal with parity of the wings like on 4BLD where if you have an odd number of corner targets and you have to do adjacent swap PLL parity.

qaz

WCA
2013BROW04
Hey, sorry for asking another question in a short time, but what are some good order of tasks and parity methods associated with them for 5BLD? I use U2/U2/M2/r2/OP.

Memo corners
Memo midges
Memo wings
Memo X centers
Memo T centers
---------
Solve T centers
U2 Parity
Solve X centers
U2 Parity
Solve wings
Parity alg
Solve midges
???
Solve corners

I'm not quite sure how to do parity between midges and corners, and also how to deal with parity of the wings like on 4BLD where if you have an odd number of corner targets and you have to do adjacent swap PLL parity.

that memo/execution order is the same as mine (with centers swapped) so take that as you will. wing parity is the same as on 4x4, if you have an odd number of wing targets after you execute the last target do an r2 to fix the slice then do the parity alg (D' L' F l' U2 l' U2 F2 l' F2 r U2 r' U2 l2 F' L D)

for 3x3 pieces, if you have an odd number of midges & corner targets after you finish executing midges do this alg:
U' F2 U M2 U2 Rw2 Uw2 F2 r2 F2 Uw2 Rw2 U F2 U
which is just a 3BLD parity alg combined with a PLL parity alg

CyanSandwich

WCA
2013NELS01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Memo corners
Memo midges
Memo wings
Memo X centers
Memo T centers
---------
Solve T centers
U2 Parity
Solve X centers
U2 Parity
Solve wings
Parity alg
Solve midges
???
Solve corners

My memo order is yours just with the center order swapped.

Solve centers (X then +), U2 parity when needed
Solve corners, J(L) perm for parity
Solve midges, parity alg: U' F2 U M2 U2 (Rw2 Uw2 F2 r2 F2 Uw2 Rw2) U F2 U
Then do J(L) perm again
Solve wings, same as 4BLD

But hopefully someone comes along with a better answer because my parity fix seems too long.

Goosly

WCA
2010VERE01
You could do it by executing DB and UF switched and BD and FU switched, but I think that creates extra unnecessary thinking, because what you execute is different from what you memorize. I used to do this sometimes in multi BLD, but now I've switched because it slows me down a little having to think about doing the opposite target, however it is possible to use it.

If you don't have parity and you need to shoot to DB or UF after an odd number of targets, you also execute something different from what you memorized. So I don't understand your argument.

Cale S

WCA
2014SCHO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you don't have parity and you need to shoot to DB or UF after an odd number of targets, you also execute something different from what you memorized. So I don't understand your argument.
You do have to execute something different from what you memorize, but it's consistent every solve because you only do that if it's the second target of a letter pair. With executing corners first, you do the opposite target for the seconds letter pair if you don't have parity, but if you do have it, you execute the first target as the opposite. I've gotten used to executing second targets opposite, but it would be harder to switch between doing first targets with the M-slice wrong and second targets with the M-slice wrong, and would be harder to understand for beginners. However, if you practiced it enough, I'm sure it would be just as effective as edges first. Personally I just like things to be consistent, and memorizing corners first fits my memory better.

Goosly

WCA
2010VERE01
^ Sure, it's probably difficult to switch once you're used to "only second target can be the opposite". I just thought you should've mentioned that "first target is opposite in case of parity" is also a possible sollution when you answered the original question, that's why I quoted you :)

ollicubes

WCA
2014VIKS01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Memo corners
Memo midges
Memo wings
Memo X centers
Memo T centers
---------
Solve T centers
U2 Parity
Solve X centers
U2 Parity
Solve wings
Parity alg
Solve midges
???
Solve corners

I found this kind of memo and execute very good at least for me:

Memo T-centers
Memo midges
(review these so many times that you don't have to look them anymore.
After this just do rest of the peaces normally as you would
do when you are doing 4BLD.

Execute: so first peaces that are in 4bld. (if not using 3-style for corners then solve them last. Dont solve parities exept X-centers.)
Then T-centers and r2 parity. And last midges and parity (old pochmann corners).

When I try this order first time, I improved 11minutes from 32min to 21. XD

Sorry if this wasn't very clear, but hopefully u get it.

tseitsei

WCA
2012LEHT01
I found this kind of memo and execute very good at least for me:

Memo T-centers
Memo midges
(review these so many times that you don't have to look them anymore.
After this just do rest of the peaces normally as you would
do when you are doing 4BLD.

Execute: so first peaces that are in 4bld. (if not using 3-style for corners then solve them last. Dont solve parities exept X-centers.)
Then T-centers and r2 parity. And last midges and parity (old pochmann corners).

When I try this order first time, I improved 11minutes from 32min to 21. XD

Sorry if this wasn't very clear, but hopefully u get it.

Just wanted to share my solving order because it's quite different :p

Memo:
x-centers
+-centers
all centers go in to the same room 4-6 locations are used depending on the amount of letters to memorize (I use 8 letters/location)

wings
These go into another room to 3 different locations again 8 letters/location (except for the last location as many as needed obviously)

midges
corners
I memo these like I would memo normal 3BLD. I do sentence/story from midges and use audio for corners.

Execution:
corners
midges
First I solve the "3x3" part.

wings

x-centers
+-centers
Executed in this order because in my memo they are also in this order in the room

solve wing parity
solve midge/corner parity

DONE

EDIT: Oh, I also have a nice trick to remember what parities I have at the end of the solve:
If I have wing parity I cross my legs left over right
If I have midge/corner parity I cross my legs right over left
If I have both I put my heels together
If I have neither I keep my legs apart

:D Don't know if anyone else uses this.

I also use this for 3BLD to remember what edge is flipped:
If flipped edge is on the L-layer I cross my legs left over right
If in R-layer right over left
If in M-layer heels together
If no flipped edges legs apart

Works pretty well, because even if I forget what edge is flipped I can easily reduce the amount of possible edges to 4 and then eliminate the remaining 3 quite quickly based on what pieces were used in my memo...

Last edited:

ollicubes

WCA
2014VIKS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
EDIT: Oh, I also have a nice trick to remember what parities I have at the end of the solve:
If I have wing parity I cross my legs left over right
If I have midge/corner parity I cross my legs right over left
If I have both I put my heels together
If I have neither I keep my legs apart

:D Don't know if anyone else uses this.

I also use this for 3BLD to remember what edge is flipped:
If flipped edge is on the L-layer I cross my legs left over right
If in R-layer right over left
If in M-layer heels together
If no flipped edges legs apart

Works pretty well, because even if I forget what edge is flipped I can easily reduce the amount of possible edges to 4 and then eliminate the remaining 3 quite quickly based on what pieces were used in my memo...

I think this is very smart! I used some time ago this kind of thing for corners: I just remembered the corner that need to get flipped and then i looked is it clockwise or counter-clockwise

If it was clockwise then i just touch my nose.
If it was counter-clockwise i touched my neck.

I think I should start use these again and take your tricks too :p

goodatthis

WCA
2014CAVA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
That method for parities and flipped pieces is a really good idea! How would you do that for Multi though? Also, for 3BLD I use audio/words for edges, and an image for corners, so that way I can immediately get rid of the larger or trickier but of information. I've done that twice for 4BLD now, where I memo corners-centers-wings and it's working out pretty well!

tseitsei

WCA
2012LEHT01
That method for parities and flipped pieces is a really good idea! How would you do that for Multi though? Also, for 3BLD I use audio/words for edges, and an image for corners, so that way I can immediately get rid of the larger or trickier but of information. I've done that twice for 4BLD now, where I memo corners-centers-wings and it's working out pretty well!

I don't really do multibld yet but I don't see this method working for mbld...

pinser

WCA
2016GOHT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
For some 3-style cases, I already know a ZBLL alg for it. The ZBLL is usually ~11 moves but I can execute it much faster than an A9 or 10-mover. Should I use the ZBLL, or will the commutator become faster with practice?

goodatthis

WCA
2014CAVA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't use 3-cycles, but that should be fine. It doesn't teach you to construct a commutator, but it has the same effect as one. I have used 3-cycles a few times in blindsolves that were just OCLLs or A perms.

Ollie

WCA
2012FROS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
For some 3-style cases, I already know a ZBLL alg for it. The ZBLL is usually ~11 moves but I can execute it much faster than an A9 or 10-mover. Should I use the ZBLL, or will the commutator become faster with practice?

Whichever algorithm is faster for you, as it might be the commutator. And if you decide to use the ZBLL and move onto big BLD, check if it's center safe