• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!
WCA
2010CANT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
How much do you review? I would suggest slowing down a bit so you don't need to review as much which will actually make your memo faster. Based upon your tps in other solves, execution is probably already very good for you.

EDIT: Also, if you are using the same rooms/journey's too often, then they tend to get less vivid/slow for me with overuse. You can either give them a break for a couple days or make new routes.

Many thanks to you kind sir. I just did an attempt applying your advice and got 8:20.20 PB :D first sub-NR

A Leman

Many thanks to you kind sir. I just did an attempt applying your advice and got 8:20.20 PB :D first sub-NR

That's great to hear :) and a good start! It takes a lot of tweaking to find out what works best for yourself. And congratulations on your first sub-NR for 4BLD!

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I review quite a bit. I also always use the same room for 4BLD, so that is probably part of the problem as well.

I generally use just 3 rooms for 4BLD, so I reuse a room every third solve. I find that is plenty enough to pretty much eliminate problems with reuse; I can go all day without decreasing speed or accuracy. So maybe you could just create two more rooms.

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Has anyone attempted or solved the curvy copter blindfolded?

I have a method for how I would approach it if I knew beforehand that the puzzle had not been scrambled with any shape changing turns. I'm still not sure how I would approach it if the puzzle was given to me in cube shape, but I knew that it may have been scrambled using shape changing turns.

DrKorbin

WCA
2011GRIT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Has anyone attempted or solved the curvy copter blindfolded?

I have a method for how I would approach it if I knew beforehand that the puzzle had not been scrambled with any shape changing turns. I'm still not sure how I would approach it if the puzzle was given to me in cube shape, but I knew that it may have been scrambled using shape changing turns.

I thought about curvy copter and found it relatively easy to solve if all edges were rotated by 180° though didn't find what to do if not.

How to 4bld? Mainly centers. I'm fine wings and corners. Should I do u2 or comms?
As a beginner, use U2. Try to do comms with open eyes. When you feel fine with them, use them for normal bld.

Ollie

WCA
2012FROS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
For 4bld centers:

A. What buffer should I use?
B. Should I use a floating buffer or what should I do when buffer is filled?

A pretty good question, actually.

A. I use Ubl, which is good if you like doing r-slice moves. Oleg uses Urb and is good with l-slice moves (unlike me) and is bloody fast.

B. I think Marcell and Oleg both use fixed buffers, though it is more than possible to sub-6 5BLD and sub-3 for 4BLD without it (because I still use floating buffer, and I'm getting faster...) but I'm trying to move on to a fixed buffer.

The advantages being:

1. You can learn an alg for each center comm case and rehearse it until it becomes automatic (removing thought, which would be an issue with a floating buffer.)
2. You can avoid having L2C by breaking into odd cycles with your fixed buffer.

However, I have learnt a lot of special cases for other buffers, so I can set-up to fast cases for other buffers with no thought whatsoever. So in theory, you could learn a lot of algs for all center buffers and save moves and therefore save time in execution (but it's a ridiculous amount of algs.)

Stick with floating buffers for now. But for advanced big cube BLD/in the very long term, go for fixed buffer. It's a lot to learn, but worth it. :)

Last edited: