• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

riffz

WCA
2009HOLT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have seen it in use without nested brackets, but no one will get mad for using less ambiguous notation, that's for sure.

You had an R2 at the end instead of an M2. A pretty obvious mistake, but I thought I'd fix it. :p

Cubenovice

Forever Slow
"solve" it into a spot you haven't memo'd yet for example YG
do not memorise the buffer piece, memorise the place yo shoot it to. So YG goes into the mmemo instead of YB

Zane_C

Premium Member
WCA
2010CARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Can someone explain what exactly is audio corners(BLD Memo)?
You memorise through the use of sounds/words. You will need to assign each sticker (excluding the buffer) a letter, then use the letters from the cycles to make a sequence of sounds/words.

Eg. WXNFHY could be memorised as "WaX kNiFe HaY".

If you're only using it for the corners, whatever you memorise doesn't need to be coherent, just memorise how it sounds.

EDIT: Chris bet me. :p

Last edited:

Marcell

WCA
2007ENDR01
Chris (or anyone else using single syllable words and letter pair images)!
I want to start using single syllable words for 3BLD, but I'm kind of worried that I will confuse my single syllable words with my letter pair words, which I intend to keep for big cubes and multi. Should I be?

Zane_C

Premium Member
WCA
2010CARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Chris (or anyone else using single syllable words and letter pair images)!
I want to start using single syllable words for 3BLD, but I'm kind of worried that I will confuse my single syllable words with my letter pair words, which I intend to keep for big cubes and multi. Should I be?
For the image pairs which are already one syllable, you can stick with those for audio too.
For image pairs which don't work well with audio, you may want to learn single syllable words to make things easier.
If you don't feel like learning a heap of extra audio pairs:
- you can just add random vowels as fillers to make sounds. (this will often form real words),
- or just say the sound which the letters form, ie. IB = "ib"

You shouldn't get them too confused, just remember that for multi and big cubes you use pairs which you can visualise.

Last edited:

Marcell

WCA
2007ENDR01
It's a bit more complicated then that. I formed my letter pair words in such a way that one-syllable words always mean a consonant-vowel pair. For example, the word "Tom" would mean TO and not TM. For TM I would have a two-syllable words with T and M as consonants. But for single syllable words I would want to use the word "Tom" for the TM pair, and I would be happy to use "too" for TO (which I of course couldn't have done for letter pairs, since I can't visualize "too".) This means that one-syllable words would mean two different pairs in the two memo systems, which is basically what bothers me.
I might try adding random vowels, though. However, as much as I remember, I have tried that once, but it didn't work out at all.

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
Marcell, yes this is a problem for me too. Basically I just know that when using the auditory loop methods that my words are often different from my images.

For example, I don't use A or M in the loop method (both stickers on my buffer), so I often include these letters in places I do not with my images.

OB = Mob for single syllable but for images it's OBelisk.
OS = Hoss for single syllable but OStrich for images (even though H is a letter I use)
I distinguish Hoss from "his" because I know that HS is "his", which pairs with HR which is "her"

I also have a group of letters that are all different from my images, but similar in sound to each other
CE = Chi (ch-ee)
CI = Ciao
QE = Cute
QI = Quite

As compared to my images:
CE = Cue
CI = City
QE = Qeue
QI = Quiet

I suppose it's a lot like learning the irregular verbs when learning a new language. Eventually you just get a feel for which pairs are different, and how they are different. I would still say to use letter pair words, but maybe drop the consonant-vowel rule for single syllable. You would just file this away mentally as saying that single syllable pairs have a different rule than that, or no rule at all, whereas images DO have that rule.

When doing a solve I never really get confused between an image word and a single syllable word. But, I do have to pay extra attention to the pairs I mentioned above to make sure I recall them correctly. But, in my opinion at least, this extra effort is still worth being able to memo any pair using one single syllable word.

Last edited:

peedu

As compared to my images:
CE = Cue
QI = Quiet

How do you picture a Cue? Just curious (I have the same image for CE (probably copied from your list)).

How do you see Quiet? You relate it to some person/object next to it? I don't have problem with QI, because we got a famous person who fits nicely just spell the last name wrong.

Peedu

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
How do you picture a Cue? Just curious (I have the same image for CE (probably copied from your list)).

How do you see Quiet? You relate it to some person/object next to it? I don't have problem with QI, because we got a famous person who fits nicely just spell the last name wrong.

Peedu
Cue is a pool cue that my Dad got for me for my birthday when I was younger. The cue is possessed and the tip of it stabs at the adjacent image, causing a surprising amount of damage (piercing/stabbing damage).

For Quiet I picture a librarian sitting behind a desk and shushing the adjacent images. This is particularly funny when a violent or sexy image is happening right next to the librarian. I picture the librarian having an impassive face, and shushing the adjacent images quite loudly :)

DYGH.Tjen

WCA
2012TJEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
My question (for 3BLD):
What method do really fast people like Haiyan, Aronpm, Gabriel, Zane use? Not that I definitely want to learn them but just being curious. Im using M2/OP corners and am planning to learn BH when i get faster. Sort of calculated the movecount, memo time, tps and couldnt really imagine M2/BH corners getting sub-45 and the like. So, what method do really fast people like Haiyan, Aronpm, Gabriel, Zane use? :)

happy cubing-tjen

amostay2004

WCA
2009SWEE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
My question (for 3BLD):
What method do really fast people like Haiyan, Aronpm, Gabriel, Zane use? Not that I definitely want to learn them but just being curious. Im using M2/OP corners and am planning to learn BH when i get faster. Sort of calculated the movecount, memo time, tps and couldnt really imagine M2/BH corners getting sub-45 and the like. So, what method do really fast people like Haiyan, Aronpm, Gabriel, Zane use? :)

happy cubing-tjen
M2 and BH corners is definitely capable of sub-45, or sub-40 but that would be pretty hard. But they generally use 3 cycles without preorientation (aka freestyle), some with a fixed buffer, some without. Basically it's solving 2 pieces with one alg instead of 1 by 1 like in M2.

To learn it you need a decent understanding of commutators and know some fast 3 cycle algs.

aronpm

My question (for 3BLD):

happy cubing-tjen
I use BH/Freestyle for corners and BH/Freestyle/M2 for edges. I use 3-cycles for all corner cases, but not all algs are optimal. For edges, I sometimes solve cycles with M2 (like DF->DB->RB), but most of the time I do 3-cycles, although some aren't optimal.