• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!
Where to get a blindfold?

I avg 5:30 with old pochmann. Memo is about 2:30. Should I switch to m2 for edges or keep pushing myself with pochmann.
This may or may not be helpfull for you, but I got a bunch of blindfolds from a retired pilot's garage sale. Blindfolds are in almost every airline's gift bags. So I guess you could ask some friends if they have any around the house. If you do it this way, you may end up with enough to pick your favorite blindfold and still have spares (for free).

Mike Hughey

Super Moderator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
YouTube
MikeHughey1
Interesting. I want to be able to say "i can solve a 4x4 blindfolded" with the same confidence as when i say 3x3 blindfolded. When i do 3BLD, i KNOW it will be solved, but on 4x4 i'm still a bit sketchy, but i'm getting atleast 1 success a day, today i've gotten 2 though.
The only problem is that once you get good, DNFs are usually due to doing just one small thing wrong. If you do one thing wrong out of every 10 3x3x3s, with 20 pieces or so to solve per cube, figure that you have 50 pieces to solve on a 4x4x4, so if you make mistakes with the same rate, you'll probably wind up averaging about 2 1/2 things wrong per 10 4x4x4s. So if you have the same accuracy piece-by-piece with 3x3x3 as with 4x4x4, and you average 90% accuracy on 3x3x3, you're liable to be no better than 80% accuracy on 4x4x4, and even less than that on 5x5x5. At home, I average pretty close to 85% on 3x3x3, and I haven't kept statistics, but I'd guess I'm around 66% on 4x4x4 and 50% on 5x5x5. It seems to me that's probably very similar accuracy on all three puzzles on a piece-by-piece basis, so I'm pretty happy with it. Unfortunately, by the time you get up to 7x7x7, the accuracy naturally gets fairly low, but I probably hit around 30% of them.

WCA
2012FROS01
YouTube
OliverFrostBLD
what would be a good method to learn a speed blind method? i already know classic pochman. which one is the world record method?
If you mean regular BLD (memorize + execute as fast as possible) then 3-style is the best. But the best to move onto would probably be M2 for edges since it's similar to OP, or if you'd rather solve 2 pieces at a time then try TuRBo.

If you mean proper SpeedBLD then the WR was done with Roux by Alex Yau. If this is the case, then using a regular BLD method won't necessarily be the fastest, nor is it in the true spirit of SpeedBLD. Any speedsolving method is fine, many use CFOP. Read Lucas's tips.

Hi im having problems with BLD.
Im using the beginner method I found in the thread: "How to Solve a Rubik's Cube Blindfolded"
Aka old pochman?

My question:
Could someone be so kind to supply me with the "solution" (ie what pieces to move where, like when you memorize it) for a scramble and the scramble it self. Im making mistakes I want to find out if it is in what moves I make or just that I am sloppy or something.

Example scramble: D L R' D2 U F2 L U' B U B F2 D2 R' U L' B2 F2 R L F2 L U2 F2

WCA
2010LEHM02
Example scramble: D L R' D2 U F2 L U' B U B F2 D2 R' U L' B2 F2 R L F2 L U2 F2
scramble in your solving orientation.
algs: old pochmann yperm: R U' R' U' R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R
T-perm: R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R' U' R U R' F'
J-Perm a: R' U2 R U R' U2' L U' R U L'
J-Perm b: R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R' U'
left R-perm: R U' R' U' R U R D R' U' R D' R' U2 R' U' (parity)

memo edges: LB, DF, DR, BR, DL, UF, UB, FR, UL, FL, UL
corners: DLB, DRB, BRU, DLF, FLU, FRU, RDF

solving corners:
D F' yperm F D'
R2 F yperm F' R2
R' F yperm F' R
F' yperm F
F' D yperm D' F
R2 D' yperm D R2
yperm
r-perm (parity)

edges
d L' tperm L d'
D' L2 tperm L2 D
D2 L2 tperm L2 D2
d2 L' tperm L d2
L2 tperm L2
jperm b
jperm a
d2 L tperm L' d2
tperm
L' tperm L
tperm

WCA
2013KALA02
YouTube
kalashagun
Hey i have started bld 3x3 yesterday..i have learnt the method OP (i have learnt how to do bld with zane tutorial)
I tried solving it blindfolded 5-10 times..but everytime i end up with 2-3 edges or 1-2 corners unsolved.. :( i dont know why and when i do the cube with eye open (with OP method) i can do the whole cube but not with eyes closed..
I dont have any problems with memorization..
Please help me...so that i can solve my cube completely..

WCA
2011GRAJ01
YouTube
wontollagdl
Hey i have started bld 3x3 yesterday..i have learnt the method OP (i have learnt how to do bld with zane tutorial)
I tried solving it blindfolded 5-10 times..but everytime i end up with 2-3 edges or 1-2 corners unsolved.. :( i dont know why and when i do the cube with eye open (with OP method) i can do the whole cube but not with eyes closed..
5-10 fails is not bad for a beginner. Having only a few pieces wrong is actually good.
Try doing a post mortem of your solve. After solving blindfolded, do the same scramble with your eyes opened so you find out where you made the mistake.

Cubenovice

Forever Slow
Perhaps you're not used to breaking into new cycles?

WCA
2013MORA02
YouTube
moralsgmail
Perhaps you're not used to breaking into new cycles?
I also think that might be the case, you can forget that when you break into a new cycle you need to put that piece back there, which is kinda obvious when you are watching.

Other possibilities are parities, check them.

Just do the following, memo a solve, write it down and solve it sighted following your notes, I bet you'll get what isn't working.

What you would say is the time limit for using M2 edges and Old Pochmann corners? assuming the memo will never get shorter than 20 seconds
is it possible to sub 1? if you're really good at BLD, how long does it take you to execute M2 + old pochmann?

WCA
2007WOOR01
YouTube
mylifeisriley
What you would say is the time limit for using M2 edges and Old Pochmann corners? assuming the memo will never get shorter than 20 seconds
is it possible to sub 1? if you're really good at BLD, how long does it take you to execute M2 + old pochmann?
It's definitely possible to sub 1 with sup-20 memo, I've done it a few times. I have a 59 with 24 memo (video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iikgw63a85c&feature=youtu.be) When I only used M2/OP, averaging 1:20, I think my execution was approximately 45s on average. I don't know what the limit could be, maybe very low 40's (for average)?