• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Noahaha

blindmod
WCA
2012ARTH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The best one is R U' R' U' R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R to target RFD. I'm a slow turner in general, but I can sub-1.4 that easily.

Don't forget that J-perms and L-perms are useful too.

randomtypos

R U' R' U' R U R' (F') R U R' U' R' F R

Oh okay. When you trigger this, do you use your thumb or your left index finger for the (F')

I happen to be watching your videos on Youtube right now btw xD

A Leman

How would you solve the following Speed-optimally? I know the A9 BH cases, and have tried some other ways, but these are bad cases for me and I would appreciate any suggestions.
UBR-FLD-LUF
UBR-LDF-FUR
UBR-UFR-DRB

Noahaha

blindmod
WCA
2012ARTH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
One answer BLD question thread blind

How would you solve the following Speed-optimally? I know the A9 BH cases, and have tried some other ways, but these are bad cases for me and I would appreciate any suggestions.
UBR-FLD-LUF
UBR-LDF-FUR
UBR-UFR-DRB

[z' R' ; [R' U R , D2]] (9)
[U L' U' , R'] (8)
[z' x' R ; [R D2 R' , U2]] (9)

A Leman

[z' R' ; [R' U R , D2]] (9)
[U L' U' , R'] (8)
[z' x' R ; [R D2 R' , U2]] (9)

I meant FUL on the Second one:fp. It is basically the same as the first though so I could try it your way. your first one looks nice.

Another question along the same lines, would you rather have an extra setup move and save a rotation or awkward D moves?

I recently switched the first one from D2RD'L2DR'D'L2D' to F RU2R D R'U2R D'R2 F' and despite those extra moves, It's still faster.

Last edited:

Noahaha

blindmod
WCA
2012ARTH01
YouTube
Visit Channel

I meant FUL on the Second one:fp. It is basicly the same as the first though so I could try your way. your first one looks nice.

Another question along the same lines, would you rather have an extra setup move and save a rotation or awkward D moves?

I recently switched the first one from D2RD'L2DR'D'L2D' to F RU2R D R'U2R D'R2 F' and despite those extra moves, It's still faster.

I can't think of any situation where D is awkward. Show me an example. Perhaps you need to work on your fingertricks. At first it's more important to do algs you know better so that you have less time to recall them. I'd say just do whatever is fastest for you and make your own judgement on every rotation vs setup move situation.

A Leman

I can't think of any situation where D is awkward. Show me an example. Perhaps you need to work on your fingertricks. At first it's more important to do algs you know better so that you have less time to recall them. I'd say just do whatever is fastest for you and make your own judgement on every rotation vs setup move situation.
I just don't like things like DL2D,DR2D,D'L2D',D'RD' when both of the D/D' go in the same direction. I never have problems with interchanging on the Down layer though.
Example D'R2D'L'DR2D'LD2 I fail at fingertricking that and would x2 to avoid it since I would pause and/or lock-up.

Noahaha

blindmod
WCA
2012ARTH01
YouTube
Visit Channel

I just don't like things like DL2D,DR2D,D'L2D',D'RD' when both of the D/D' go in the same direction. I never have problems with interchanging on the Down layer though.
Example D'R2D'L'DR2D'LD2 I fail at fingertricking that and would x2 to avoid it since I would pause and/or lock-up.

Oh yeah. D as the first move of the insertion part always warrants a rotation. I'll never rotate to avoid a D as the interchange or the middle move of the insertion though.

geocine

WCA
2008MONC01
Need help with this scramble:

D2 F2 R D2 B2 D2 R2 D2 B' D' L' U F2 U' F2 U2 B' L' D'
(scramble in bld orientation) - my orientation is white top / green front

What is wrong with my edge cycle memorization? I am using M2, my buffer is DF

LD->FU->FL->BU->UL->DR->UF->RU->RF->LB->RD->BD

For some reason I always get FD and UF in the wrong position .
UR is flipped, while I'm sure that one would be flipped because RB is flipped . I am not able to Identify that it would be UR

I have been struggling for hours. I hope somebody could help me with this.

Applecow

WCA
2010LEHM02
LD->FU->FL->BU->UL->DR->UF->RU->RF->LB->RD
cycle complete. afterwards your M-slice is M2 off because of Parity. Do U' F2 U M2 U' F2 U to switch UL and UB edges, then solve corners. because of an odd number of yperms the edges should be solved afterwards. flip DF and RB. done :)

geocine

WCA
2008MONC01
LD->FU->FL->BU->UL->DR->UF->RU->RF->LB->RD
cycle complete. afterwards your M-slice is M2 off because of Parity. Do U' F2 U M2 U' F2 U to switch UL and UB edges, then solve corners. because of an odd number of yperms the edges should be solved afterwards. flip DF and RB. done :)

I tried doing that however for some reason UR nd FR is flipped , what caused it to flip?

Riley

WCA
2007WOOR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Need help with this scramble:

D2 F2 R D2 B2 D2 R2 D2 B' D' L' U F2 U' F2 U2 B' L' D'
(scramble in bld orientation) - my orientation is white top / green front

What is wrong with my edge cycle memorization? I am using M2, my buffer is DF

LD->FU->FL->BU->UL->DR->UF->RU->RF->LB->RD->BD

For some reason I always get FD and UF in the wrong position .
UR is flipped, while I'm sure that one would be flipped because RB is flipped . I am not able to Identify that it would be UR

I have been struggling for hours. I hope somebody could help me with this.

After RD, the M slice is off. However, the edge RB started out flipped. To solve that, you can use a 2 flipping edge alg, or shoot with M2 to RB and then BR (or vise versa). Now all edges are "solved". Now you can solve M slice parity with U' F2 U M2 U' F2 U like Applecow said. I don't see how UR becomes flipped, it doesn't for me. After you solve RU (after UF and before RF) it becomes solved.

geocine

WCA
2008MONC01
After RD, the M slice is off. However, the edge RB started out flipped. To solve that, you can use a 2 flipping edge alg, or shoot with M2 to RB and then BR (or vise versa). Now all edges are "solved". Now you can solve M slice parity with U' F2 U M2 U' F2 U like Applecow said. I don't see how UR becomes flipped, it doesn't for me. After you solve RU (after UF and before RF) it becomes solved.

Oh stupid me :fp I kept on shooting to UR that's why!. Thanks everyone.

A Leman

This may be a stupid question, but what is a good way to 3cycle Edges on a Megaminx? The way I have been trying is to do a pair cycle and then I undo the corners of the pair cycle. This is very frustating and I feel there has to be a better way to solve these, but without Slice moves, I don't know of a better way to use comms on edges. I looked up some megaminx ELL Cases for reference, but they were pretty bad and I still don't know how I would construct those in a solve.

Can anyone help me figure this out or show me some algs I could use and how they work?

Ollie

WCA
2012FROS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This may be a stupid question, but what is a good way to 3cycle Edges on a Megaminx? The way I have been trying is to do a pair cycle and then I undo the corners of the pair cycle. This is very frustating and I feel there has to be a better way to solve these, but without Slice moves, I don't know of a better way to use comms on edges. I looked up some megaminx ELL Cases for reference, but they were pretty bad and I still don't know how I would construct those in a solve.

Can anyone help me figure this out or show me some algs I could use and how they work?

Could these algs work? I want to try this at some point :)

aronpm

the only way that i know is like (R L') F2 (L R') U (R L') F2' (L R') U' (comm notation: [[RL':F2],U]) which for a 3x3 would be something like M D' M' U M D M' U' ([MD'M',U])

this is why I would rather do whatever-the-4x4-looking-megaminx-thing-is-called rather than a megaminx BLD

A Leman

Could these algs work? I want to try this at some point :)

Thanks, It looks like Turbo Edges is the way to go.
the only way that i know is like (R L') F2 (L R') U (R L') F2' (L R') U' (comm notation: [[RL':F2],U]) which for a 3x3 would be something like M D' M' U M D M' U' ([MD'M',U])

this is why I would rather do whatever-the-4x4-looking-megaminx-thing-is-called rather than a megaminx BLD

This is cool, thanks aron. I'll try to use that when I can. I am already sure that megaBld is a pain. I can't use letter pairs and the setups are tricky, but I got a megaminx for christmas and I really want to get a bld solve on it even if it's really annoying.