• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Oll and Pll question

sub_zero1983

I'm a begginer at oll's and pll's and i m wondering if there is an easier way to practice them? For instance, taking my cube which is already solved and just do a oll and pll in reverse and then do it normally until i get it down perfect? would that help any?:confused:

blgentry

For OLLs: Some are inverses of each other. For example, Sune and Anti-Sune are inverses, so you can do one and then the other, allowing you to practice both. There are a number of other less obvious inverses, but I don't know full OLL, so I don't know them all; only the ones with all edges oriented.

For PLLs: Most PLLs are their own inverses. So do the R perm and it will set up the R perm case. I.E., do R twice from a solved cube and it will be solved again. Obviously the Aa and Ab are inverses, as are Ua and Ub. The Gs are two sets of inverses also. You can practice the inverses in pairs and thus get practice on both. For the Rs, T, V, E, etc, again you just do them twice and you'll get back a solved cube. Repetition will help a lot.

Breaking any alg (OLL or PLL) down into groups helps me a lot. The brackets or parenthesis you see in algs are designed to show you how the author groups that alg into smaller groups that are easier to remember.

Once you've got some (or all) PLLs memorized, then you'll want to drill on recognition, which is a whole different thing, and why I wrote some software to help with that.

Brian.

YouTube
Visit Channel
If you just keep doing the algorithm over and over and over again, you'll get it. You eventually start memorizing how it feels doing the algorithm (fingertricks, etc).
I can barely list out the notation for my OLL/PLLs, as they're all drilled in by muscle memory. and when I do, I have to repeat the algorithm over and over again...