• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Not knowing how to solve the cube

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey everyone,

I was curious if anyone here can still remember not knowing how to solve the cube? I can still remember very clearly trying to get one side in 2nd grade and only doing turns like R4 and F4 and seeing which gave me more stickers on the U face. I eventually was able to get one side (not one layer) and was so excited and scared to mess it up that I didn't touch my cube again for 6 years lol.

Anyway, just curious if anyone else remembers being baffled by the cube. I certainly still do.

Chris

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
It was a little over 2 months ago, so I definitely remember. Around Christmas, my brother brought a video of his friend solving the 3x3 in like 1:06, and I am absolutely amazed. Then a few weeeks after I heard that the world record was broken; I was inspired and I ordered a cube. And in mid-late February, I solved my first one. Cubing is extremely addicting!

Harris Chan

WCA
2007CHAN07
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well, when I got the cube for the first time, I was still thinking like most people...just looking at one of the stickers on the cubies. I realized about how the stickers moves when I make a turn. But basically, I really don't know how the pieces look like (what colours are on each cubies), until I tried the rubiks.com solution (HORRIBLE!), where I started finding the edges' colours by looking at the center colour(so...yellow and blue...?). It felt very exciting and fantastic when I first solved the cube (Halloween of last year). That feeling was not there when I solved the cube these days anymore though...:(

Wonder if I'm making sense...

Harris

pjgat09

I don't remember much before cubing, but I do remember getting my first cube. All i could think about was getting home and playing with it. I never did learn to solve it on my own, try as I might. Eventually I knew the method from the booklet cover to cover, with a few of my changes thrown in, and I could solve in about 2 minutes or so. I stayed there for a few months, not doing much, and decided to learn roux, and its been like that ever since.