• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Non spoiler tips for a 4x4x4 solve

Kail

Hey guys. I'm looking for tips in solving the 4x4x4 without getting new algs. I was able to get a few solves over the last few months but I get stuck on a few cases... I think called parity.

All edges paired up but 2. I can get the last layer just about done, but the cycle moves I've come up with sometimes don't cut it. I'll have 2 pairs of say purple/red that I wanna make purple/purple and red/red

all edges paired but one is yellow down. I'm able to pair up all of them but my cross is missing one pair. This is the most common

all edges solved, 2 corners unsolved. This case is just annoying because I've never come across this. I had this problem with the 2x2x2, but I found an alg that works but flips edges. This doesn't help me for the 4x4x4

with that being said, maybe I'm going about it wrong. Here is my method

all centers, top pairs, first 3 layers pairing, pairing last layer edges, orienting edged, orienting corners, flipping corners.

Maybe the way I'm solving it is counter productive.

so I'm looking for tips on these cases without directly being told what to do. I've been trying to do this alone, but without a point in the right direction, I've reached my limits

Kail

I didn't want to see too much. Just glancing at an alg will be too much help... That's why I made a new thread.

cubeninjaIV

WCA
2009HILD01
YouTube
cubeninjaIV
cant help you much there then sorry paring the last two edges can be done by a d then flip the edge and d' hope that helps without giving too much away ive got nothing for parity though

LNZ

Premium Member
YouTube
Darkangel2347
The method I learned to solve the 4x4 cube is fron Dan Brown (aka Pogobat). And here it is. Solve the six centres and do it to make the cube solvable.

For the Eastsheen 4x4 cubes the exact sequence for the first four centres is green, blue, purple and yellow.

For the white QJ 4x4 with tiles, the needed exact sequence for the first four centres is green, blue, orange and yellow.

Do the twelve 1x2 edges. Then solve as a 3x3. And correct for parity if you get parity on the top layer.

One tip is to either learn the T-Perm to solve corner parity or orient the corner cubes before going to form the top layer cross to achive the same thing.

Kail

My post didn't make sense?

Yea I saw Dan browns tutorial a looooong time ago, before I could solve 3x3x3. Didn't make sense to me. Don't remember it now

what do you mean the exact sequence?

Kail

I'm stubborn. I've been working on this evil thing for months. I feel like learning algs at this point would be cheating to those who have rooted me on. Lol.