• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Noah's 3-Style Tutorial

A Leman

These video's are nothing like what I thought they would be. You are doing a great job explaining things for people who start from OP, but there are also some things I would have liked to have known earlier or some extra hints/tricks that could help someone's "happy hunting" which could be helpfull. We can talk at LSC about that stuff. Also, you said you were not going to try to show a bunch of particular algs, but you mentioned the 5 move inserts a bunch of times. I have never used a 5 move insert and I know they are only needed if you want an optimal per special which your 5 movers don't do anyway. Have you tried doing cases without them with things like L' U'R2U' L UR2U' L' U2L?

Noahaha

blindmod
WCA
2012ARTH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
These video's are nothing like what I thought they would be. You are doing a great job explaining things for people who start from OP, but there are also some things I would have liked to have known earlier or some extra hints/tricks that could help someone's "happy hunting" which could be helpfull. We can talk at LSC about that stuff. Also, you said you were not going to try to show a bunch of particular algs, but you mentioned the 5 move inserts a bunch of times. I have never used a 5 move insert and I know they are only needed if you want an optimal per special which your 5 movers don't do anyway. Have you tried doing cases without them with things like L' U'R2U' L UR2U' L' U2L?

I have actually never used something like that. I just think that the five move insertions are super easy to use and very fast to execute. They also save people from the horrors of (R U R' U')3. I don't count showing that insertion as showing a case because it's applications are as unlimited as using R U R' as an insertion. I probably should have mentioned that you only need that insertion when the interchange corners are diagonal though. I'm interested to hear what you have to say at LSC, and perhaps I'll integrate some of it into my tutorials.

DrKorbin

WCA
2011GRIT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'll just pedantically notice that it is wrong that every sticker is interchangeable with either UBL or DFR. Contrary instance - LUF.
In fact, these stickers DFR, FRD, RDF are basically the same. There are the same amount of stickers that are interchangeable with everyone of these. Every alg UBL>DFR>* is a rotation of another alg UBL>FRD>* and a rotation of UBL>RDF>*.

Noahaha

blindmod
WCA
2012ARTH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'll just pedantically notice that it is wrong that every sticker is interchangeable with either UBL or DFR. Contrary instance - LUF.
In fact, these stickers DFR, FRD, RDF are basically the same. There are the same amount of stickers that are interchangeable with everyone of these. Every alg UBL>DFR>* is a rotation of another alg UBL>FRD>* and a rotation of UBL>RDF>*.

Good catch. Not sure how I forgot about those four :(

Noahaha

blindmod
WCA
2012ARTH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Noah's BLD Tutorials

Ummm.... Noah, I thought you will make a more detailed corners tutorial, like, different cases (A9, cyclic shifts, columns, per specials - and how to distinguish them). You won't do it, right? :(

Right. I can't teach things I don't know, and I really don't know anything past pures and A9s. Plus there's already a fairly satisfactory tutorial on that. I'm just trying to present a quick way to go from OP to commutators.

I apologize to anyone who was expecting something else, but I think that my approach is equally valid and allows things to be a little more intuitive than the other way. Instead of asking themselves, "what kind of commutator is this?" people will be asking themselves "what setup move do I need to turn this into a pure comm?" which I think is a more important skill in the long run.

From what I have seen, people who just learn the types of commutators and then apply them often spend a long time before their cycles are at all automatic. Using this technique I had cycles, albeit very inefficient ones, for every corner case within a few weeks of learning it, but the important thing was that even if I came across a case I hadn't seen before, I didn't have to figure anything out, but just set up one of the corners to DFR/FDR/RDF.

The way I see it these are two equally valid approaches to 3-style, and perhaps I am a little defficient on the actual types of cycles side, but I learned 3-style very quickly and I just wanted to share how I did it.

Last edited:

A Leman

Part 7 just made my day.

You suggested Alot of great stuff that I should be doing.

I had the last part of the video quoted, but I just thought better of it.

There are so many old posts that give golden advice about how to improve CFOP/FreeFop Inspection and make Lookahead much easier.
If you want to start caring about 3x3(or just get sub-15 and go back to blind) go searching through the forum and start with this
http://www.speedsolving.com/forum/showthread.php?25525-F2L-Edge-Orientation-guide
It took me a while to figure out what rowan was talking about doing during inspection, but it also changed how I think about 3x3, cut seconds off my average and made lookahed easier. You should basically know your F2LEO even If you don't plan to immediately fix it because you only need at most 1 rotation and the inspection tells you which order you look for your pairs plus finding the f2l edges in inspection will give you an idea of where they are later on so you only need to track corners.
gogogo sub-15, good luck Noah

Noahaha

blindmod
WCA
2012ARTH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks Arrik!

About 3x3, I just do it for fun because it's quick and easy. I love freestyle F2Ls though (I usually get my best times on them) so I'll be sure to check that stuff out.

Noahaha

blindmod
WCA
2012ARTH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Last two parts are up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I put a lot of work into this, so hopefully a lot of people learn from it.

Tell me what you think!