• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

No Friends Who Cube

collinbxyz

WCA
2010BURN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey,
I am at a very young age to be cubing, (11 actually) and I am very bored that nobody cares about this but me. I know one person that might want to learn, since his older brother is the person who made me start. Though I am not sure since he is sorta a show off. He knows like one algorithm (R' D' R D) but I don't know. I would rather have someone else. I am not a fast cuber, just learning F2L, with my PB of 37.93, and I have some nice cubes, but I just someone to care about it! IDK, any suggestions???

Bring cube to school, show off, while you have peoples attention, tell them that it is easy to learn and the instructions come free if you buy a cube. Or if you want to teach them, tell them that you can teach them if they want. Tell them the benefits of cubing, such as attention, something to do, competition, organization, collecting, make yourself look like a genius, etc. Once you have a few people into it, see if they're planning on spreading it, and you might get even more.

EDIT: Don't worry about your age, as it is best to learn things at a young age. I started cubing when I was 12 or 13.

y3k9

Yeah, bring your cube to school, show some of your friends, and people will probably come up to you, and people who already know how to cube will come up to you as well :)

bluedasher

I have two friends who can cube. 1 averages 1:10 the other upper 50's which doesn't help me since I get it in 20 sec. I'm in the process of teaching 1 of them Fridrich and it is a pain. It can sometimes get really boring when you are the only one around who is interested. Start bringing your cube to school and maybe talk a teacher into staying after school for some sort of a Rubik's Cube club. That could be fun.

y3k9

If your school was ever into cubing i'd be surprised, bring your cube(s) to school too. Oh and a way to get people interested is to bring weird cubes like square-1s and megaminxes.

TheMachanga

WCA
2010LECH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
DON'T GET YOUR SCHOOL INTO CUBING! You'll look like a nerd and you'll have a lot of trouble getting your rep back (happened to me in 7th grade). I stopped cubing in school at the end of 7th grade, but some people still say stuff about cubes and "my toys" to me. You can get a close friend (best friend) into cubing, but just don't let other see it.

y3k9

Who gives a care if you look like a nerd, you are a nerd, and if you want to get cubing friends their gunna be what you call "nerds".

Joker

YouTube
Visit Channel
If you have good friends, then they will like it, and won't call you a nerd.
If they seriously think you have no life, those people are [insert mean word here].

FatBoyXPC

WCA
2010LACH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I completely agree with Joker and y3k9. Don't not do a hobby you enjoy in public just because you fear your reputation. Hiding who you are only makes you weak. If you want cubing friends, try to get a close friend or two into it, you'll be able to race. It shouldn't be too hard to show off at school a bit (under a minute is really fast to the public eye, I realize you know that sub10 is what is considered great now, but they don't know that :p) and find people who want to learn.

If you can't find people in real life (only one of my close friends actually enjoyed cubing as much as I do, and he's the one that taught me, haha. He's also not here in the states anymore due to the US Army deploying him. When he gets home I hope to convince him to get into it again, he'd be sub20 in no time if he learned F2L instead of keyhole :p), then find some friends here. There are weekly competitions, cubemania.org has competitions, and the IRC channel usually has people in it you can chat to.

If you just want somebody to race: Join the race to sub30/sub20/sub15 threads (obviously join race to sub30 now until you hit that mark, then graduate to sub20 etc). You can also just make a post or bring it up in the IRC channel. Make sure to find someone close to your average though, as racing a sub13 guy would just make you both uninterested pretty quick (unless he had to 3 solves for each of your solves, etc).

Stachu: I knew you were going to post that link!

N

nitrocan

In my school, after I learned how to solve it, I taught about 10 people in the following week. That was probably because we were all kind of trying to figure it out before I went online to learn a method. Everyone was more or less enthusiastic about it.

When you just go ahead and solve the cube in sub 1 minute in front of people, you won't encourage them much since there isn't much room for competition. It's like if Federer was your classmate and he shows you how he plays tennis, would you actually take the time to get to his level? Probably not. It was because everyone was at the same level initially that made my friends want to learn it.

goatseforever

YouTube
Visit Channel
Personally I'd rather my friends remain in the dark and be impressed by my shitter 19 second solves, than take up cubing and one day become better than me.

You're made out to be a nerd, because of they way you act and are viewed in school. Cubing alone cannot do that.

I cube, and my friends know it. So do others in school who see me cubing. I am not a nerd, and don't have any "nerdy" qualities. I have never had anyone start thinking I was a nerd, or label me as a nerd, when I'm seen solving. Actually, when people saw me solve a cube in school, they were surprised someone like me would know how to solve it, and not some Mathlete. Yes, cubing might seem like a nerdy thing, but it's not the cube that makes you. If you are already stereotyped to be a nerd, and then you start cubing, then maybe your image of being a nerd will be amplified, since it's something they already thought of you, beforehand.

Besides, people who are scared of being stereotyped as a nerd, are already insecure nerds to begin with.

StachuK1992

statue
WCA
2008KORI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Do you happen to be...oh yes, you are the youngest and least experienced in life here.
Take notes from people of a similar nature that have actually lived through stuff.

You won't care about your little 'friends' in a few years, assuming you don't become like them, which essentially sounds like a bunch of buttheads.