• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

New user needs advice for next cube beyond 3x3

gassmaster

All,

First time poster looking for some advice. My son is 9 and got a 3x3 this summer. He spent a couple days online and got his first solve - was pretty excited. He didn't spend much time on it for a few months, then around thanksgiving he picked it back up. He memorized the algorithms and now does it between 1:15-2:00, though he doesn't really "try" to go fast as far as I can tell. I don't know what methods he uses because im the old man and probably couldn't do one side.

He's not really competitive, so I'm not sure if he really wants to try and get his speed down or not. He likes wowing the kids on his hockey team bc not many kids can do it, but that's about it. However, he does really like the puzzle / solving challenge though, so my guess is that he'll always be into puzzles but maybe not for speed.

I thought I'd pick up another cube for christmas that would be a logical next step to the 3x3. I obviously see in searches that the 5x5 is maybe a bit more logical as the next step, but I'm not sure. Advice? Also would probably love any suggestions for another cool puzzle that would be an extension of this?

thx much! hope i posted in the right area - if not, mods pls move.

gassmaster

YouCubing

WCA
2015JOIN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
2x2, 4x4 and 5x5 are nice to do after 3x3.
I'd say move on to Pyraminx and Megaminx after that, and then just roam free.
I feel like he should learn to solve every puzzle he gets, and just get a lot of non-WCA puzzles.
Maybe sort of like SuperAntonioVivaldi.
Good luck to him! :D

sqAree

WCA
2015JAEH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
In fact everything YouCubing wrote is nice.

I just want to point out that 2x2 is nothing "really" new and can be solved entirely with 3x3 methods. The same applies for Megaminx as well somehow.
So I think 4x4 and 5x5 are nice choices, they are really more difficult than 3x3 and a bit different.
As a non-cubic puzzle could be interesting I'd in fact recommend the Pyraminx.

gassmaster

Thx! Forgot about the Pyramix. I had one of those when I was a kid. We did pick up a 2x2 which will be plenty entertaining but I assumed it would be similar to the 3x3, whereas the 4x4 and 5x5 will probably be a different challenge altogether.

jackrusso

Definatly either a 5x5 or a 2x2, and if he wants non cube shaped puzzles, a pyraminx is a good one to start with.

Kudz

Squan is like 3x3, but different, it's all about watching good tut and memorizing few algs

e: Squan = Square-1

bcube

In case it's not too late and he likes classical 3x3x3 cube, I recommend a variation of it. Supercube 3x3x3 comes to my mind in the first place, followed by a Void cube. He might also like Fisher cube 3x3x3 after them.

Prior to mentioned puzzles I would recommend him to try all 4 types of Constrained cubes - they are extremely fun for anyone who can already solve classical 3x3x3 cube (at least they were for me).