• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

New type of cube on mefferts called GEAR CUBE

lorki3

WCA
2009ENGE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
He everyone on mefferts is a new puzzle called thw gear cube I don't really now what type of cube it is but I thought I just make a thread about it because I couldn't find anything about it.
Hope you guys now anything about it.

Lorki3

Portponky

I recieved one too. The way it moves is really cool and it is liable to pinch your fingers. It doesn't have many states and it's really pretty easy (I wrote a solution here) but it's fun. It's probably a good thing to scare non-cuber with.

Ton

WCA
2003DENN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I can not find any puzzle challenge, do I miss something? I scrambled the gear cube several times, and put it back in just a few moves??? From the way it moves it is a repeatable pattern, my best guess it is solvable by a "fewest moves". So the challenge at best is fm else it is not much of a challenge...So no method needed for this one.

Last edited:

TomZ

Yes, the Gear Cube is rather trivial to solve. Disregarding the gear orientation (which is really easy to solve just by twisting one face until they're aligned), there are only 6144 positions.

Ton

WCA
2003DENN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes, the Gear Cube is rather trivial to solve. Disregarding the gear orientation (which is really easy to solve just by twisting one face until they're aligned), there are only 6144 positions.

Well I did not calculate , but form moving it and looking at it for a while I could not find a way to get a decent scramble....so I assumed I could solve it without any method, other than place the corners first.

Portponky

Well I did not calculate , but form moving it and looking at it for a while I could not find a way to get a decent scramble....so I assumed I could solve it without any method, other than place the corners first.

If you do the corners first it really is easy. The three centre slices are independent after that and you can either solve them by continual rotation or with a simple B R2 B' flip. If you try to make it a cube first then you may find it more difficult.

Ton

WCA
2003DENN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I can not find any puzzle challenge
That's because you're an intelligent man Ton

Not really ,I used my lookahead and I can remember 10 moves I do ,
than I notice:
- I could not scramble the corners (the are only a few moves away) without losing track of them..
- Then I check how the edges can be scrambled , which is also only few possible moves
So only make it square take some rotations

This is the normal way I look at new puzzles, after that I look what kind of method I can use to solve it.

But the real trick is looking after your fingers

Last edited:

Zubon

I was really thinking about buying this puzzle. But hearing the reviews makes me think twice. I am looking for more challenging puzzles from now on.