• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Member Intro] New to the cube world

Gerry

Hey all, Gerry here.

I am brand new to the cubing world. Not even gonna it speed cubing quite yet as it takes my longer to open the box than people can solve a puzzle. I am determined to get there though!!

When I say brand new, I mean I got my cube 2 days ago, and hadn't looked at any guides until it was in my hands. My first solve took a full day! second day I managed to get a few, and the fastest was 5-10 minutes. Huge 5 minute gap I know, but I wasn't trying to time myself expecting it to take a while and surprised myself when I finished it. So 5-10 is a guess.

My first cube is a Gan 356 m lite. When it cooperates I love it. My regret is getting the lite version sometimes it feels like it is gonna fall apart in my hands. I wish I got the other springs to make it feel tighter.

I have a Gan 251 M coming and I made sure not to get the lite this time.

Makes me wonder though. Once you get the perfect feel, what do people do with the extra springs? I can imagine some collectors just having a shelf full lol

SH03L4C3

The orange centerpiece from your main 3x3
Hey all, Gerry here.

I am brand new to the cubing world. Not even gonna it speed cubing quite yet as it takes my longer to open the box than people can solve a puzzle. I am determined to get there though!!

When I say brand new, I mean I got my cube 2 days ago, and hadn't looked at any guides until it was in my hands. My first solve took a full day! second day I managed to get a few, and the fastest was 5-10 minutes. Huge 5 minute gap I know, but I wasn't trying to time myself expecting it to take a while and surprised myself when I finished it. So 5-10 is a guess.

My first cube is a Gan 356 m lite. When it cooperates I love it. My regret is getting the lite version sometimes it feels like it is gonna fall apart in my hands. I wish I got the other springs to make it feel tighter.

I have a Gan 251 M coming and I made sure not to get the lite this time.

Makes me wonder though. Once you get the perfect feel, what do people do with the extra springs? I can imagine some collectors just having a shelf full lol
I have an small box full of springs/magnets/other stuff
Many people make mods using them.
Welcome!

povlhp

Welcome.
Cube preferences vary widely. And GAN is not necessarily the best brand but surely the most expensive.
many recommends the Moyu RS3M ($10) where you can adjust spring strength with a click mechanism. But even the cheap Meilong 3M might be better for you. The Tengyun V2M is the most configurable. most Speed cubes are fine for sub-10s solves.

SH03L4C3

The orange centerpiece from your main 3x3
Welcome.
Cube preferences vary widely. And GAN is not necessarily the best brand but surely the most expensive.
many recommends the Moyu RS3M ($10) where you can adjust spring strength with a click mechanism. But even the cheap Meilong 3M might be better for you. The Tengyun V2M is the most configurable. most Speed cubes are fine for sub-10s solves.
Many people including me main the rs3m over gan flagships