• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

New to Forums. Just saying Hello.

BlameCain

Hello all. I'm new to the forums (been creeping on some of the threads for some time though). I just wanted to introduce myself and give a little background.

I started cubing a few months ago. I had learned how to solve a cube using the instructions that came with it when I was a teenager, but had completely forgotten them. One weekend I found my Rubik's brand cube and decided I wanted to learn to solve it again. Before the weekend was over, I was able to do it without the instructions. I then scoured the internet and watched a few guides on F2L. I immediately switched to using it. Instead of watching more guides and learning algs, I spent my spare time messing with it, so it's completely intuitive. Bought a few cubes (is there a such thing as cube fever?). I now own a Guhong v2, Zanchi, Weilong V2, Aolong V2, and Liying. Next cubes will be a 2x2, Pyraminx, and some bigger cubes.

I have dabbled with ZZ and Petrus just because they looked cool. However, I don't think I would ever have the ability to perform the more block building techniques very fast. So now I'm back to practicing CFOP. I'm still very slow, just barely sub 40, but I'm enjoying myself. I'm fairly casual as I have a full time job and a family, but whenever I have spare time, I usually have a cube in my hand. I will probably never be really fast (it seems that is for the young) but would like to see what my limits are. I currently only know 4 look last layer, but have almost got all the Pll's down (haven't learned the Gperms and N perms).

Anyway. I just wanted to say hello and am excited to see what my speed cubing capabilities will be.

Going to start adding some of my sessions. Maybe I will see some progress.

9/26/14 Avg. 38.23
1)33.02
2)38.26
3)43.07
4)35.03
5)39.08
6)30.31
7)38.48
8)40.91
9)47.18
10)36.93

Last edited:

WinPooh

Welcome to the forum! I'm also a newbie here, and my cubing skills are a bit slower than yours (about sub-50 after 1-2 months of active cubing). Looking forward to track your results and compare with mine :)

BlameCain

Was thinking ShengShou Pyraminx , LingPo 2x2. As for bigger cubes, it looks like Moyu would be good choices for 4x4 and 5x5. Don't know if I would enjoy going any bigger, but haven't done anything besides 3x3 yet. Also, just wanted to mention that I love my Liying. I think it is very underrated. It is by far the most enjoyable cube I have.

Randomno

Banned
WCA
2014STAR05
YouTube
TheRandomno
Was thinking ShengShou Pyraminx , LingPo 2x2. As for bigger cubes, it looks like Moyu would be good choices for 4x4 and 5x5. Don't know if I would enjoy going any bigger, but haven't done anything besides 3x3 yet. Also, just wanted to mention that I love my Liying. I think it is very underrated. It is by far the most enjoyable cube I have.
They sound like good choices. Shengshou has quite good and cheap high-order cubes, but if you start serious speedsolving on 4x4+ it'd cost more buying a Moyu after a Shengshou.

JasonDL13

WCA
2014LEWI02
Welcome to the forums.

If you get the time, do an average 100 as fast as you can. When I was averaging 40s with 4LLL I did an avg 100 and it cut my average down ~10 seconds. That's when I didn't practice a lot though. However, do what ever you want. Just an idea ;)