• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

New to cubing, so hooked already

YouTube
DACubing
Thread starter #1
Hi all!

First post here, my name is Ralan. I'm a new cuber (~1 month) from Australia.
I got the newer model of Rubik's Cube (the kind the turns a bit better) to have something to play with while studying Games Design.
I decided that since I now owned a proper cube (I already had the limited edition Portal 2 picture cube since the game came out, but didn't bother learning to solve until recently) I should learn to solve.

I told myself I would be happy if I got under 5 minutes... Then that I would be happy and stop if I got under 2 minutes... Then under 1 minute. Then I ordered a DaYan ZhanChi 5 (black) in the mail. My current PB is ~35 seconds. I am CURRENTLY telling myself that I'll be happy if I get down to 20 seconds. But, I guess we'll see...

I'm currently using CFOP (Fridrich) with 2 look OLL and I'm working on learning 1 look PLL (G perms are just so ugh). I can't wait to learn more and get faster!

YouTube
DACubing
Thread starter #5
@PJKCuber Yeah, I have noticed they lock up a lot.
@Cubeologist That sounds like fun! Great name by the way!
@KarlCubing Hi Karl! I'm from QLD too! Sunshine coast. Where abouts in QLD are you from? :)

WCA
2014WENW01
I remember when I told myself I'd be satisfied to be sub 1 minute. And then I'm almost sub 15 now

G perms are fun to execute.

The hardest PLLs for me are A perms/V perms (to recognise and execute) and H perms (yes, H perms, execution sucks)

They don't seem to be showing up, you might be doing something wrong.
As someone who is around 20 seconds now, I can tell you that you won't want to stop there, at that point it's already too late to get out :D

Welcome the forum!
Getting sub-20 is pretty dang satisfying. As long as you practice, learn new stuff, and develop some hardcore move efficiency, your times will just naturally get better. I like to imagine that all Australians know each other. You've probably met Feliks Zemdegs and his kangaroo wife.

Marvin, I woke up my roommate with how hard I laughed at your profile picture.

Welcome the forum!
Getting sub-20 is pretty dang satisfying. As long as you practice, learn new stuff, and develop some hardcore move efficiency, your times will just naturally get better. I like to imagine that all Australians know each other. You've probably met Feliks Zemdegs and his kangaroo wife.

Feliks and his kangaroo wife??????

WCA
2014MCEV01
YouTube
0702Rocky
Welcome the forum!

Nah, Feliks is more into Koalas.

Earth, Solar system, Orion Spur, Milky Way
WCA
2014HOLB01
there are a lot of videos
here that teach you how to execute g perms sexy
It's true. Finger tricks make G perms fun. I use to hate them. My worst are A perms that damn D2 double flick.

But yes, WELCOME! Glad to see another addict on board.
If you want to solve with others check out www.twisttheweb.com. I just discovered it and it is great. Many people on here us it.