• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

New Terms for Common Triggers?

BradleyKH

These terms are widely used for certain triggers or mini-algorithms:
"Sexy Move": (RUR'U')
"Sledgehammer": (R'FRF')
...and others, including Jason's "Hedgeslammer": (FR'F'R)

What if we had a few more catchy, quasi-standard terms for common patterns? Someone suggested elsewhere that we name (RUR'F') since it comes up so much, and I agree. I rather like "Lasso", and "Thumbelina" was suggested in a 2009 post. I also see (R'FR2U') a fair amount, and I think of it as "Rebound".

We all have our own ways of learning and memorizing algs, but I think most people find it helpful to group cube turns into these sorts of units (i.e. "chunking"). Do you think it would benefit the cubing community to adopt more terms for more of these common patterns?

Last edited:

Thom S.

I have previously heard
Not Sexy
But I don' know if this is an agreed term

Hazel

Premium Member
I have a list of trigger names I've made (and a few not made by me) that are useful as I'm learning full ZBLL. I'll link a pastebin here, maybe somebody can find some use in them :) I still add to this list, and if I remember I might update the pastebin from time to time.

stylo

searched but couldn't find a more recent thread for this. I'm just looking at Roux CMLL algs now. i'm thinking about using these names:

sexy = (RU R'U')
toosexy = (RU2 R'U')
sledgehammer = (R'F RF')
shovel = (FR' F'R) * pulls out pair to front
insert = RU'R' * inserts pair from top left
delete = RUR' * removes pair to top left
incel = RU2R' * both insert/delete :)

So O2 "Diagonal swap corners" = (F, insert, U', delete, F', sexy, sledge)
can be parsed as the functions of its triggers;
can also be parsed as a combination of: L1 Mirror (F, insert, U' delete, F') + T1 Left Bar (sexy, sledge)

I think I like this approach of naming triggers after their function in an alg.