• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

New Square-1 Method [Name Pending]

Silky

So this is a new Sqaure-1 Method that mixes a bit of Lin and Vandenburgh together. This may or may not have already been suggested, so if it has, lmk.

Steps:

(1) Cubeshape: This is standard so no need for explanation
(2) First Block: This is the same idea as in Lin so again not much explanation needed.
(3) Psuedo-block: Here we solve the two remaining D-corners with any D-face edge in-between (Second block from Lin but ignoring the permutation of the edge).
(4) CMDLL: We then use Lin algs to insert the remaining D-face edges and solve corners. The extended Lin algs for 2 D-face edges in U can be found here
(5) Permute Edges: Now we're left with a subset of Vandenburgh's EP step where we force U(a), U(b), Opposite, and Adjacent cases on the D-face. This lowers the EP alg count from 100 to 50. Algs here

Example:
Scramble: (0,-1)/ (-3,0)/ (1,-2)/ (0,-3)/ (-3,0)/ (3,0)/ (-3,0)/ (-1,0)/ (0,-3)/ (0,-3)/ (-3,-2)/ (-2,0)/ (-1,0)/ (2,0)/ (0,-4)

Solution:
Cubeshape: (0,-2)/(-2,6)/(-1,-2)/(2,-3)/(-2,-1)/(-3,0)/
First Block: (3,-2)/
Psued-block: (2,2)/(-5,1)/(-4,-1)/
CMDLL: /(1,-2)/(0,3)/(0,-3)/(3,0)/(-4,2)/
Permute Edges: (3.-2)/ (-3,-3) / (0,1) / (0,-2) / (0,-4) / (-4,0) / (-4,0) / (-2,0) / (5,0) / (-3,-3) / (-3,6)

Movecount: 25 STM (with a cancellation). I did a Lin solve as well which came out to 28 STM.

Notes:
(1) Because we solve left block and force U(a)/(b), Opp, and Adj cases, the D-face case recognition is very easy (it should be able to be recognized regardless of the ADF). This makes EP recognition faster and closer to EPLL's recognition.
(2) This should be more efficient that vanilla Lin since we're saving moves on 2nd block and permuting more edges at once during the final step.
(3) One downside is that , unlike Lin, you can't incorporate Yau-1 or PLL+1 algs. This would mean that this method would end up being less efficient than full Vandenburgh and Lin with PLL+1. I'll do a bunch of example solves and try to estimate where the average movecount falls relative to each method. Thread for that here

It's been a while since I've been on this site, so if this belongs in a different thread/has already been purposed, I apologize.

~Cheers

OreKehStrah

It’s a cool idea but not really worth it for speed. It’s adding an extra step and more thinking to advanced Lin.
I used to do a similar thing a few years ago but with a correct SB, but stopped since it’s worse than Lin or VDB.

Silky

It’s a cool idea but not really worth it for speed. It’s adding an extra step and more thinking to advanced Lin.
I used to do a similar thing a few years ago but with a correct SB, but stopped since it’s worse than Lin or VDB.
I just ran through some slow solves and it seems that it's actually less efficient than Lin. Lin is just too good T_T