• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

New speedcuber, what is my next step?

MadFurai

Greetings!

I have been speedcubing for exactly a month now. I learned the beginner method, and I recently learned intuitive F2L. My best time is 56 seconds, but I have only done that once and it was a fairly lucky case. My current average (last 10 solves) is 89 seconds. I'm getting these times using intuitive F2L with beginner method for the last layer. I have read many sites that say people can easily get less than 60 seconds with just the beginner method, so I'm not sure why it seems so difficult for me to get less than 60 with F2L/beginner combined. Am I where I should be after a month or can most people get less than 60 seconds on average by now? Should I start learning OLL or PLL now or should I try to improve with what I already know first?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions...

Oh, as for equipment, I'm using a Dayan Guhong that I have taken apart and lubricated. It's very fast and smooth already...

Last edited:

pipkiksass

YouTube
Visit Channel
Firstly, don't worry about how quickly or slowly you're progressing - different people improve at different speeds.

Do you do cross on bottom or top? The earlier you move to cross on bottom, the better.

The single thing that will make the biggest difference at this stage will probably be 2-look PLL. Try Badmephisto.com for a really good set of videos and algorithms.

The other thing I'd say is that nobody 'knows'intuitive f2l, it's something that will improve on it's own through practice. Try really slow turning practice, instead of timed. If you find an f2l case you struggle with, put the cube down and look on cubewhiz.com, or the speedsolving wiki, for a better way to solve it.

I've seen f2l described as an art form - the more you practice the more easy and natural it becomes... but there's always more to learn!

Good luck.

Bapao

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Although many people can progress fast on all fronts simultaneously, my personal progression was a follows:

- Cross. Try to figure this out on your own. It's still the hardest step for me, as I try to solve the cross without planning ahead properly during inspection. A good cross strategy defines a good cuber IMO.
- Intuitive F2L is a good start, although you'll be much better at it if you at least study a few of the algs all the same. It'll give you a proficient edge.
- Start with 2 look OLL and work it from there by learning new algs at your own pace. Take your time.
- PLL. You're better off learning all of the algs for this from day one. It's satisfying to end the solve with one alg and although they are longer than OLL algs, they flow nicely when you have them down.

Remember to have fun and try not to push yourself too hard.

Btw. : Look ahead can only be achieved with a firm insight or with a lot of practice. A LOT of practice if you lack the initial insight(as I did)...

Last edited:

RubiksDude

Can you post a video of you solving an Ao3 or Ao5 so we can take a look at how you solve?

It shouldn't be too difficult to get under a minute with beginner's method, once you get the hang of it.

Poke2000

Learn 2-look last layer. Use fingertricks. Even with the beginner's method, you should be able to get at least sub-40. With 4 look last layer, sub-30 is easy. 4 second cross. 15 second f2l and 8 second 4 look last layer gets you 27 seconds.

cowabunga

Am I where I should be after a month or can most people get less than 60 seconds on average by now? Should I start learning OLL or PLL now or should I try to improve with what I already know first?

You will improve in your own speed. Things like amount and quality of practice has an effect on how fast you will improve but we are all different.
You should start learning 2-look OLL and practice.

Last edited:

Poke2000

Also, you should learn to understand f2l more. This comes with practice. You should know about seperated and connected pairs, and preparing and inserting them from all angles. A few other techniques will make it better. Also, try not to hesitate. f a case takes too many moves to execute, learn the algorithm.

Hope this helps. :)

funymunky

Your times will probably start to go down a lot now. When I first started intuitive F2L, my times went waaay up into about a minute and a half, then after a few months of on-and-off practice went down to around 30-40 seconds (while learning some OLL and PLL along the way). Intuitive F2L takes a long time to get fast at, at least for me.

Genesis

I also use Roux and I got sub17 now.I want to know how to get sub10.Is it really difficult ?(I've learnt 3/4 of all the cmll,and I'm a little slow at SB)

Everything is difficult if you don't put in effort...
But, on the bright side, it's doable

Poke2000

@funymunky

My times did not get slower when learned intuitive f2l. was averaging in the low 30's, and it stayed right there when started using intuitive f2l, and got faster within a few days. The important part is to really understand it, and execute it smoothly, and quickly, without hesitation.

MadFurai

Thanks for the tips. I think my look ahead and recognition are pretty slow, so that is probably my main issue right now. I am already doing the cross on the bottom. The F2L is definitely slowing me down until I get better at look ahead and recognition. As someone said, I think I need to do more un-timed solves right now. I practice everyday, but before this post I was only doing timed solves. I think slowing down for now and getting a better understanding of F2L will be a big help. I'll try to get a video of one of my ~1 min solves online, too. I'll keep you posted on my progress. Thanks again.

MadFurai

Got a video of one of my solves uploaded. Funny thing is that this is only the 3rd time that I was able to solve in less than 60 seconds. So, this really isn't a typical solve for me. Anyway, I do seem to be improving slowly, because I'm getting 75 second solves more frequently. I still mess up on the cross and/or the F2L sometimes and then my times go up to 90 seconds or more. I'll keep practicing and also start looking at 2 look OLL as many have suggested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ritr5jCYzWw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

sneaklyfox

WCA
2013HUNG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Need to learn to plan the whole cross during inspection. F2L... for now just practice. This is minor, but M/M' moves... M' is usually better, use ring or middle finger to pull forward from the BD sticker (rear bottom sticker).

minghuanglei

u should learn 2 look OLL, 2 look PLL, advance f2l, respectively
that's enough for sub 40
afterward u should continue with full OLL and PLL