• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Software: kubesolver - easy algorithm generator for 3x3x3

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
I've been using this solver for around 6 months time, and it has worked really well!
It wasn't too complicated to setup or use, which was nice since this is the first program I've used to generate algs.
The developer/op is also very friendly and was very helpful with getting everything setup, and fixed/added more options as I helped test the program.
I think this is a very viable and user friendly way to generate algs!

Owen Morrison

WCA
2017MORR06
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thank you so much for making kubesolver! I never knew how to make running courses before this and whenever I try to open kubesolver it lets me make one on my Garmin app!

But seriously, I have no idea why it does that, I tried to download something else a couple weeks ago and it did the same thing...

kubesolver

Premium Member
Yes, you can generate 2x2 algs by ignoring the edges.
You can't ignore the centers unfortunately but for most alg sets it doesn't matter I think (e.g. if you search 3-gen algs).

kubesolver

Premium Member
Should I get this or cube explorer? What are the advantages and disadvantages of both?
In my opinion my kubesolver is better for alg generation. It's also very easy to integrate kubesolver with alg explorer so that you immediately get filtering of good candidates. You can use output from my program directly as input to the alg explorer. @PapaSmurf managed to combine it into one tool.

The advantages of Cube Explorer over kubesolver that I am aware of are:
- CubeExplorer is better in optimal solving e.g. for the scramble generation purpose.
- CubeExplorer has a gui so if you're affraid of command line tools and text inputs then kubesolver is not for you

Can it work with a Chromebook?
The binaries on my webpage are for windows and mac, but the source code is pure ansi C so it should compile on any platform that has gcc.

The advantages of Cube Explorer over kubesolver that I am aware of are:
- CubeExplorer is better in optimal solving e.g. for the scramble generation purpose.
- CubeExplorer has a gui so if you're affraid of command line tools and text inputs then kubesolver is not for you
I share a computer with my family, and would only be allowed one software. How long would it take to generate an alg with kubesolver as compared to CubeExplorer? If CubeExplorer makes more optimal solutions, and is easier to use, then why should I get kubesolver?

kubesolver

Premium Member
I share a computer with my family, and would only be allowed one software.
that's a really weird policy. What is the rationale behind it?

How long would it take to generate an alg with kubesolver as compared to CubeExplorer?
I don't know. I don't know but in both programs the time spent to setup the input data will be much longer than the actual program execution so the speed doesn't really matter in my opinion. Also the program won't generate an alg, but tens, hundreds or thousands of all possible algorithms.

if CubeExplorer makes more optimal solutions, and is easier to use, then why should I get kubesolver?
if you care about optimal solution for a scramble then use Cube Explorer.

Only use kubesolver if you want to generate a lot of algorithms in search of the most human-efficient one instead of just the one shortest.

if CubeExplorer (...) is easier to use
I don't think CubeExplorer is easy to use. I believe my program beats it in usability for the purpose of alg generation by a magnitude.
The reason I wrote my own program was that it's so tedious to setup even the simplest case in ksolve or CubeExplorer.
But CubeExplorer has user interface which may be more suitable for some people.

Last edited:
that's a really weird policy. What is the rationale behind it?
I honestly don't know.
I don't know. I don't know but in both programs the time spent to setup the input data will be much longer than the actual program execution so the speed doesn't really matter in my opinion. Also the program won't generate an alg, but tens, hundreds or thousands of all possible algorithms.
Ok, thanks, but how long would it take to setup the input data on each solver?