• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

New OLL system?

Jai

WCA
2007GAMB01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm not sure if this could be considered a new OLL system, because the difference between normal Fridrich OLL and my OLL system is the algos, but here goes.

I don't have a name for it yet, but I've been dubbing it "Slice Prefix OLL". The system is similar to normal Fridrich OLL, with even the same cases. Everything is the same, except for the algos. The algos follow a specific format:
[slice prefix] [CO alg ] [slice suffix]
The slice prefix is M(')/S('), most of the time followed by a U/U'/U2.

The CO alg can very depending on the corner orientation; the corner orientation in all OLL cases, if you haven't already noticed, is that of one of the "beginner OLLs" - the 7 cases with all edges oriented. So, you would use one of those algos for corner orientation.

The slice suffix is just putting the displaced piece(s) from the slice prefix back in , after the CO algo.

Now, this is still in development, so I still have some problems, such as some kind of definite order/ slice prefix to use depending on the Edge orientation. I can't figure out what slice prefix to use with what EO case. For now, I've been just experimenting with different slice prefixes to find algos. Another problem is the 3 cases where all corners are oriented, but the edges aren't. I think a commutator should just be used for those.

As you may or may not have realized, my algos aren't exactly the optimal algos for the cases, sometimes even being preposterous compared to popular algos, such as F R U R' U' F' , so you know this isn't meant to replace your whole set of algos. But in many cases, my algos might be more comfortable than yours, because the CO algos aren't that complicated, and are fairly easy to execute. For beginners, this can be an easy way to learn all the OLLs, and once I have all my algos, and a "rule" for the slice prefix (which prefix to use for which edge orientation case), beginners will be able to learn all the OLLs in a matter of days, or for the more dedicated ones, it'll only be a matter of an hour or two.

anyway, here's some examples of algos from my system:

9.gif

[S U2] [R U2 R' U' R U' R'] [S']

49.gif

(y2) [R U2 R2 U' R2 U' R2 U2 R] [U S']

42.gif

(y) [S'] [F R U R' U' F'] [U S]

So, what do you guys think?

Last edited:

Kenneth

Not Alot
WCA
2005GUST01
YouTube
Visit Channel
That's a simplified version of what I call XCLL. There I do the same = orient edges while not doing corner OLL but for CLL. It is the same as OLL + corner permutation in one go = 6 times more cases than the normal OLL.

I got a load of nice algs for your OLL style, all cases are solvable using only 1 or 2 sunes + M setups in between but for most cases there are also shorter algs.

I don't think I have time to present my XCLL algs, I know some 150 cases or so but if you need an alg or two for some of the cases then just ask :)

Jai

WCA
2007GAMB01
YouTube
Visit Channel
*sigh* I had a feeling something similar to my system was already out there, but I couldn't find anything. Oh well, at least our systems aren't completely identical.

EDIT: Wait, so your system's basically doing COLL for cases without all the edges oriented?

Last edited:
H

hdskull

Great idea, I don't know the OLLs for the first one and the last one, and I like those algs, haha easy to learn, lol. It's just gonna be hard for OH(maybe).

Kenneth

Not Alot
WCA
2005GUST01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well, I guess the difference between our systems is like the difference between Fridrich and ZB. I'm pretty sure a beginner would opt for my system after hearing yours has over 300 cases :p

Na, rather COLL/ZB.

Thing is, if you know CLL then you can use those 40 cases as base for inserting M/M'/S/S' that way you can solve fairly many of the total number. That you can use as a complement for doing CLL/ELL and skip ELL to EPLL instead. But not all CLL's works, if one likes to learn all cases he/she has a lot of work to do.

Hint: you do not have to insert the slice in the beginning of the alg, nor has it to be restored in the end, you can insert at any useable state of the alg and also resert like that.

Example: R U2 r' U' R U' R' U2 M'

Last edited:

Jai

WCA
2007GAMB01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I know you don't have to make the slice a prefix, but remember, it's more beginner-oriented, so it's better to have a definite pattern that people will be able to follow. As for the Fridrich vs. ZB thing, I was talking about the systems as a whole, not just the OLL.