• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

*NEW* Melbourne Competition Layout

SoLarisAU

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
WCA
2010EVEL01
YouTube
SolarisAU
New layout for comps second draft:
(These layouts are subject to change both numbers of rounds and events) (Optimal 1 day comps)

Type 1:
*Blind* 13 or 14 rounds total*

2x2 - 1 rounds + Finals - 2
3x3 - 2 rounds + Finals - 3
4x4 - 1 rounds + Finals - 2
Blind - 1 rounds + Finals - 2
Multi-Blind - 1 round = Finals - 1
4x4 Blind - 1 round = Finals - 1
5x5 Blind - 1 round = Finals - 1
(*Team Blind*) - TBD - 1

Type 2:
*Other* 19 rounds total
(Please note that although there are many rounds the puzzle are quick)

2x2 - 1 rounds + Finals - 2
3x3 - 2 rounds + Finals - 3
4x4 - 1 rounds + Finals - 2
OH - 1 rounds + Finals - 2
Square-1 - 1 round = Finals - 1
Pyra - 2 round + Finals - 3
Megaminx - 1 round + Finals -2
Maigc - Finals - 1
MMagic - Finals - 1

Suggest other non-cube based puzzle's

Type 3:
*Cubes* 11 rounds total

2x2 - 1 + Finals - 2
3x3 - 2 + Finals - 3
4x4 - 2 + Finals - 3
5x5 - 1 + Finals - 2
6x6 - 1 + Finals - 2
7x7 - 1 = Finals - 1

Type 4:
(For Melb Summer Open) 15 or 16 rounds total*

2x2 - 1 + Finals - 2
3x3 - 2 + Finals - 3
4x4 - 1 + Finals - 2
5x5 - 1 + Finals - 2
6x6 - 1 = Finals - 1
OH - 2 + Finals - 3
Pyra - 1 + Finals - 2
3x3 Blind - 1 + Finals - 2
Team 3x3 Blind - Teams have to be confirmed (1 round)

* Different round numbers because of Team Blind
This will be tested at Melbourne summer open.

Email: [email protected]
Mobile: 0414018244
*If you feel I have not replied to your question feel free to text me*

Please remind other Melbourne cuber's to come and have a look at this tread so people don't miss out on there say of what events they want.

Feel free to leave comments and please check back to see if your opinion has help improve the layout
Please do not spam posts, please let everyone have their own say and don't criticise what people say.

Last edited:

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
Who specializes/cares about Square-1? We all know it's a pain to run, and isn't it for Dene? AFAIK he hardly touches Sq1 inbetween competitions.
2-5, Pyra, OH, BLD seems to be a good lineup, and then organisers and runners can have input on any additions (like atm you and Feliks really want 6x6, if people do want sq1, an extra round, etc.)
3 rounds 3x3.
2 rounds 2x2, OH, Pyra, 4x4.
1 round BLD, 5x5.
12 rounds, and these are the most popular events in Melbourne.12 should be a good number for a relaxed one day competition.
Just my opinion.

SoLarisAU

WCA
2010EVEL01
YouTube
SolarisAU
I know that 12 rounds are good for one day comps but I'm thinking we make them 2 days just so you guys can catch up so we are all in one location. I know sq1 isn't popular but its still a nice event to have. If you didn't notice each comp has a theme. Which will help people to pick which comp they are coming too. Not only that but if people really like this format i may try and push for 8 comps this year.

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
masterNZ
Oh jolly good, you saved me the hassle of doing this. Unfortunately I would change many things.

Firstly, I strongly recommend you do not plan for 2 day competitions. We should only have one of those per year (ausnats). They are very demanding on competitors and people tend to get exhausted and won't contribute and will leave early etc. etc. Additionally, 8 competitions is way too many. There is not enough demand for that and people will lose interest (same as the 2 day competitions). I know we all want to have more official events, but if you go overkill now we will have even less in the future. I certainly think no more than 6 between Melbourne and Sydney in any given year. That's still a competition every 2 months, and if you think about it, it's already been 3 weeks since MCD, and I still feel like it only just happened.

Because we should plan for one day competitions, obviously we will have to plan for less events/rounds. I think I will still do this for myself as I have already put a fair amount of thought into it over the past month. I'll just point out you missed 4bld out of the bld comp.

TimMc

Premium Member
WCA
2009MCMA01
I'd like to propose a few one-day competition event lists...

#1 "Easy" (15 rounds)
  • 2x2 - 3
  • 3x3 - 3
  • 4x4 - 2
  • oh - 2
  • pyr - 2
  • mgc - 2
  • mmgc - 1

#2 "Big Cubes" (12 rounds)
  • 3x3 - 3
  • 4x4 - 3
  • 5x5 - 3
  • 6x6 - 2
  • 7x7 - 1

#3 "Blind" (10 rounds)
  • 2x2 - 2
  • 3x3 - 3
  • bf - 3
  • bf4 - 1
  • bf5 - 1
  • mbf - 2

#4 "Side" (13 rounds)
  • 2x2 - 2
  • 3x3 - 3
  • pyr - 2
  • clk - 1
  • minx - 1
  • sq1 - 1
  • mgc - 2
  • mmgc - 1

#5 "Cube Day" (15 rounds)
  • 2x2 - 2
  • 3x3 - 3
  • 4x4 - 1
  • 5x5 - 1
  • 6x6 - 1
  • 7x7 - 1
  • oh - 2
  • bf - 2
  • mbf - 1
  • fmc - 1

#6 "General" (16 rounds)
  • 2x2 - 3
  • 3x3 - 3
  • 4x4 - 2
  • 5x5 - 1
  • oh - 2
  • pyr - 2
  • mgc - 2
  • mmgc - 1

Note: I'm only proposing some lists of events and not competitions (as per the title).

Tim.

Last edited:

SoLarisAU

WCA
2010EVEL01
YouTube
SolarisAU
I will flush out more of other events Dene and they should be easier to handle within a day because people want to have meet ups where its official.

Tim Major i do see your problem but if we don't offer the event people will think we are not doing it.

As for Tim MC I do like your suggestions but i'm not to sure about magic and master magic, i know they don't take to long but i don't think we have many people that want to do the event and whenever we have it people are always borrowing peoples puzzle's to do the solve's which takes up time. This is my first time of trying to organise a comp so bare with me considering i'm trying to plan for the year. Also one more thing national will have all the events that we had last year.

Oh yeah and i also forgot that Zane said a while ago that he didnt really care about 4blind so i'm not sure if that means he doesnt want it as an event but i will try and fiddle around and put it in.

Last edited:

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
masterNZ
Obviously we should hold all the bld events in a bld comp. At ausnats we will hold every event. Magics would only occur in 3 competitions out of 6 (we'll ignore Tim's "general" one, which is what we were thinking for Sydney), and it occurs for good reason. In the first competition it serves as something for all the new, young competitors, in the sides competition obviously it should be in there, and at ausnats we will do everything so it will happen there.

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
#1 "Modified Easy" (13 rounds)
  • 2x2 - 3
  • 3x3 - 3
  • 4x4 - 2
  • oh - 2
  • pyr - 2
  • bld - 1

This covers the popular events with a decent spread of rounds too. I vote for this!

@TimMc: general and easy are almost identical? Was that a mistake?
Also your cube day schedule is what we had 3 weeks ago, and that didn't work.

David Zemdegs

Premium Member
YouTube
david zemdegs
So we can assemble a "day", could we get a list of events and how long they should take (with some breathing space)?
I dont know if these are accurate but Ill have a go....Im assuming a melbourne competition with about 30-40 competitors...

2 x 2 first round - 20 mins
2 x 2 second round - 10 mins
2 x 2 final - 10 mins
3 x 3 first round - 60 mins
3 x 3 second round - 30 mins
3 x 3 final - 15 mins
4 x 4 first round - 45 mins
4 x 4 final - 20 mins
5 x 5 first round - 30 mins
5 x 5 final - 20 mins

Ive assumed only 2 rounds of 4 x 4 and 5 x 5, feel free to add a third but I was wondering what events really need 3 rounds vs 2 rounds vs straight final? perhaps thats another list we can create? e.g, megaminx will always be a straight final in australia any time anywhere....3 x 3 will always be three rounds except where there are less than X competitors...etc

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
masterNZ
Only one round of megaminx and skewb.
Skewb is not going to be an official event. If I have anything to do with it we will not waste competition time on unofficial events anymore. There is plenty of time for that at meetups.

#1 "Modified Easy" (13 rounds)
  • 2x2 - 3
  • 3x3 - 3
  • 4x4 - 2
  • oh - 2
  • pyr - 2
  • bld - 1

This covers the popular events with a decent spread of rounds too. I vote for this!

@TimMc: general and easy are almost identical? Was that a mistake?
Also your cube day schedule is what we had 3 weeks ago, and that didn't work.
The "easy" and "general" are intentionally similar, and I already told him it's silly :p .
Your suggestion is good if 5x5 was added, but the point of the easy comp is to have events that would be better for new and upcoming competitors.
His suggestion for MCD has less rounds of events.