• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

New idea for yau?

Hjerpower

Let me start this off by saying I am not a pro at 4x4 by any standards, but I did have an interesting idea that might be helpful.

In between solving the three cross edges and the centers, you would make the last cross edge and two f2l edges and store them on the side to make edge pairing/3x3 stage to go faster with sacrificing movement options while solving edges.

Feedback on this idea that I just had would be greatly appreciated

Owen Morrison

WCA
2017MORR06
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think it would be really hard to solve the centers if you didn't have that extra edge slot to work with. I think if you did it this way you would have to use commutators to solve the centers. Maybe I misunderstood your idea though.

Hjerpower

I think it would be really hard to solve the centers if you didn't have that extra edge slot to work with. I think if you did it this way you would have to use commutators to solve the centers. Maybe I misunderstood your idea though.
You would have one open edge (UR) to work with

Skittleskp

WCA
2019PATE10
YouTube
Visit Channel
This would make it so that you couldn't use 3-2-3. This is one of the fastest parts of your solve and I feel like the restricted movement from only having one edge and having to use a different last 8 edges method would make your solves slower. I really like the idea and maybe it could be influential in the future though!

xyzzy

Let me start this off by saying I am not a pro at 4x4 by any standards, but I did have an interesting idea that might be helpful.

In between solving the three cross edges and the centers, you would make the last cross edge and two f2l edges and store them on the side to make edge pairing/3x3 stage to go faster with sacrificing movement options while solving edges.

Feedback on this idea that I just had would be greatly appreciated
I've tinkered with this idea a while back, and I think this takes the one thing I dislike about Yau (extra slices needed to solve last four centres compared to plain redux) and amplifies it tremendously. At least with Yau you don't have to use too many slice moves; with this method, you need to constantly slice so as to keep both the UL and UR slots free.

It's not too bad if you keep only one extra edge on the side (some people already do this with the last cross edge), and maybe two extra edges might work too (seven edges left to pair means you can do 4-3 edge pairing), but three extra edges makes it too restrictive.