• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

The $1000 Speedcube Tierlist

Have You Subscribed to The Cubing Critics

• Total voters

MJS Cubing

WCA
2019SULL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I did not know that!
Proof of reaching the end: Comment something with the word "pop"
Just got a pop. So mad

Zain_A24

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello everyone.
Just a quick announcement for today, we have big plans for our Discord server but may need some help in executing those ideas.
If any of you are interested in becoming a moderator, feel free to join the Discord invite below and let me know!

Zain_A24

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey everyone,

As you may have seen from a couple of my recent rants, we're back!! We've just come back from a break and we've got a tonne of things to share with you.

Updates:
Typically I would write a long post highlighting what's new but we have a video coming up which should go through all that information and more. It will talk about where we've been, what we're doing now and what we plan on doing over the next few weeks and months.

Content:
We have a lot of content coming over the next few weeks and months, and we will stick to a minimum of 1 video per week, although videos will reach up to 2 or 3 videos in a week once we get back into momentum. Most channels create either high quality but less frequent content or sacrifice on quality a bit for frequent content. We'll be trying to go for high quality content as regularly as possible.

We've filled a whole book with ideas (we've got plenty of golden content ideas) and we'll be sharing those in the next few weeks.

We're in the process of catching up with older stuff (like the MS3V1 we got super early and didn't make content on) as well as making content on the great news we've heard from companies like GAN and MSCUBE.

In terms of content we'll be going for variety, so expect more than our typical news videos (educational, entertainment etc) on the way soon.

Collabs:
I'll be coming back to the small YouCuber thread I made a while back and spruce it up. We have come up with TONNES of ideas that involve us working with smaller youcubers and we plan on doing several collaborations with you guys soon.

Discord:
Link to discord server is in my signature. I've brought in a couple of moderators and I'll be working with them to get some fun stuff going on in there.

Giveaways:
For every person that uses code "CUBINGCRITICS", we'll be putting $0.50 towards a big monthly giveaway. Let's hope we don't make Phil broke.

You are welcome to use some other great codes like "nathan5" for @Nmile7300 or "JFCUBING" for @JFCUBING and I'm sure it'll help them out a lot (there's tonnes of codes out there so sorry if I missed yours out), or you are more than welcome to use our code if you want. Whichever code you use you will be helping them out a tonne with their content and sponsorship so be sure to support your favourite creators by using their code.

Full updates on the way. There are a lot of surprising new cubes on the way from some new companies (you will be shocked when we show you what they can do) and we look forward to creating more great content for all of our great subscribers.

If you want to hop onto The Cubing Critics hype train, click the link below:

Zain_A24

YouTube
Visit Channel
Sorry for not updating y'all regularly over here. If you guys are curious about what we're up to feel free to join our Discord server. We go there way more often to have a chat with people and share juicy news:

Discord - https://discord.com/invite/Y5y5DbewfF

New video dropping 15:30GMT - Cubing Roundup.

Some of you OG subs may remember our Cubing Roundup Series. It was the place to go to find out everything that happened in the month in cubing. A great summary for those that maybe aren't as active in the cubing community or want a complete monthly summary in one place.

We'll cover everything from what's happened on YouTube, the New Cubes as well as share a bit of leaks here and there. Great place to go, would recommend checking them out, super fun.

Connor Cubes

Video Editor - Videopad. It is capable of exporting 4k videos, has a wide range of effects (although we only used the basics)

Thumbnail maker - This may surprise you, but I just used PowerPoint and pasted the image in and added text.

Camera - Phone although we used a microphone (Blue snowball - great budget mic) and edited the sound in audacity (enhancements, noise reduction etc.)

Birds eye - we made a makeshift boom arm and placed the camera on top.

Lighting - Lamps. We used lamps but didnt point them directly at the object to avoid it being too intense and creating shadows, just a couple of desk lamps and a window.

Overall, a budget setup, but you don't need expensive equipment to shoot great videos. Even clips such as the subscribe animation and end screen were made in PowerPoint and exported. If you have any further questions, feel free to let us know.
The free version only allows one import, did you pay?

Zain_A24

YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes we can see that. What this person was saying was that the text was extremely easy to read, making the blurring effect pointless.
Yeah I understood that.
It's a technique used to subtly evoke an emotion in the viewer, when they see something that's supposed to be censored but is legible. Any good thumbnail gives the viewer some sort of emotion, whether that be shock, anger, etc.

It's a technique a lot of people use on YouTube, I cant say for certain if it works or not, I guess CTR will decide that for us. Our secret has been revealed.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah I understood that.
It's a technique used to subtly evoke an emotion in the viewer, when they see something that's supposed to be censored but is legible. Any good thumbnail gives the viewer some sort of emotion, whether that be shock, anger, etc.

It's a technique a lot of people use on YouTube, I cant say for certain if it works or not, I guess CTR will decide that for us. Our secret has been revealed.
Wait thats psychological manipulation
I would blur it slightly more, so then you can guess what it is but not quite, making the audience want to find out if they got it correct, and if they did, to feel triumphant and continue watching

Oh I’m becoming a sociopath

Zain_A24

YouTube
Visit Channel
Wait thats psychological manipulation
I would blur it slightly more, so then you can guess what it is but not quite, making the audience want to find out if they got it correct, and if they did, to feel triumphant and continue watching

Oh I’m becoming a sociopath
Thumbnails are a psychological game. Thanks for the feedback. Not sure if it's changeable at this stage but CTR seems to be okay for now.