• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

New android App. Any Thoughts?

wolferber

WCA
2013BAID01
Hey guys, I just released a new android app that I think is really awesome for the cubing community called "Sune Timer". I added a basic timer that allows you to track times for five different puzzles, along with in-depth statistics, scrambles, and a performance graph. I have also upload EVERY possible algorithm that I could find for OLL and PLL (for every case, I have posted 5-25 variations). In addition, I added upcoming cubing competitions, WCA regulations, and a list of world records.

Also check out called race timer. Its just basically two timers on once screen to allow cubers to race each other on the same device.

anyway, I just wanted to get your guy's thoughts on it. Any thoughts or improvements I can make?

Here is the link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Baid.basic5&hl=en

Last edited:

Dino

Just installed, will have a proper look at it in the morning, however initial feelings are that it definitely has promise, but:

1) Only checked the N perms and at least the first alg on each one are incorrect.
2) Why do the scrambles have "i" (inverse) instead of ' for prime?
3) I would be nice, although not sure how practical, if there were small thumbnails along with the case name or a grid view for easy ID when searching for a case.
4) The Performance graph is a cool idea, a histogram would also be good to show distribution.
5) The timer is buggy when you enter an inspection time. I only tried 15 secs, but after starting the timer it went a bit nuts and reset itself after about 5 seconds.
6) Statistics screen could be a little better organised.

Keep up the good work.

Edit: Installed on Sony Xperia Z.

wolferber

WCA
2013BAID01
Hey,

Thanks for for the advice. I am actually a new programmer and this was my first app release so I' still working out all the bugs.

1) I'll take a look at the algorithms, I may have mixed them up.
2) This shouldn't be too difficult to change. The reason I had i's instead of ' was because java thinks that I am creating a new string whenever it sees the tick mark, though I think I can fix that very easily.
3)Yeah, I agree, I'll get on it tomorrow.
4) Very do-able, definitely try to incorporate that as well.
5) This has actually been bothering me nonstop. For some reason, my code is executing way after the countdown finishes and completely skips the last number in the countdown. I'll have to more research into why it does that
6)Any suggestions? I could add more stats or even a scroll view to allow easier access.

Also, I'm working on trying to get a functional landscape mode, and adding a scoreboard of some sort to the race timer.

Let me know if you come up with anything else or notice any other bugs.

wolferber

WCA
2013BAID01
Alright, the reason some of the algorithms are off because I accidently took out the parenthesis. But on the bright side, there are a bunch of alternative algorithms for every case. I'm working on an update that hopefully I'll be able to get out by tonight if my computer doesn't continue to be soo slow.

Also, you guys might see some sweet new features tonight.

Wassili

WCA
2013KORO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Don't have my phone with me now, but I hope this app is good because the other apps are pretty bad on android. And if it isn't perfect I hope you keep on updating it with better features :)

wolferber

WCA
2013BAID01
Yeah, I noticed a lot of android app were quite lacking, so I wanted to create one that could be really awesome for the cubing community. Thanks for all the feedback i've been getting. I'm fixing all the things things you guys have suggested, and added some more features. Update should be out tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks guys, keep the suggestions coming.
:tu

Wassili

WCA
2013KORO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well I downloaded the app, and the first thing I noticed was that it really needs a better look. I can see your not a graphic designer or anything, but the poor cropping and stretched fonts make this app look not very professional, yet you put a lot of effort in the programming of the whole app and its features. Another simple thing that could be added is instead of Ui, for example, it would be U', like in an official WCA scrambler. And could you please make the background customizable, because that yellow is really bugging me. Finally, I'm sure you are working on it, but scrambles for all the other WCA puzzles are needed. I will probably be using this app in the future when it improves ;)

wolferber

WCA
2013BAID01
Hahah, Yes. Very true, I am not a graphics designer, but it I did work very hard to allow it have a lot of features.

1)I have already gotten ridden of the "i's", should go away in the next update.

2)Adding in more customization is definitely a direction I want to take.

3)Scrambles for other puzzles are also on the way.

I apologize for the bugs, I am a very new programmer. I self-taught myself programming over the course of the last two months. I am sure that as I go back to school I will learn much more which will allow me to greatly enhance this app.

Also thanks for the word of encouragements guys. Your guy's support is what inspired me to make this app in the first place.

:tu

wolferber

WCA
2013BAID01
Alright, I took the suggestions you guys gave me and released an update that has fixed a lot of the bugs that you guys mentioned. I'm still working on some on them, and should have a second update sometime tomorrow :D.

Sune Timer 1.6: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Baid.basic5&hl=en

Also, I am not that great of an graphic artist as you guys have mentioned; So if you guys think you have a cool idea for a new app icon or cover page, send it to me and I'll have a look at it.

-Ish

wolferber

WCA
2013BAID01
Alright, so right now I'm incorporating scrambles of all puzzle types in the app, but I don't exactly know how the scrambling system works for all the puzzles.

Could someone possibly explain to me and direct me to somewhere it explains how scrambling works for a :Rubik's Square-1, and a Rubik's clock.

I have never messed around with these puzzles so the notations don't make a lot of sense to me. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

-Ish

wolferber

WCA
2013BAID01
^Hahaha, Funny thing is I have an iphone as well. I'll create an ios version just as soon as soon as I learn to program in objective C.
:cool:

But I still need someone to explain to me scramble notations for square-1 and clock..plz. It's driving me nuts!!

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes, knowing many languages totally makes one a good hacker, and not being able to find out what iOS is programmed in totally doesn't indicate the opposite.