• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

New algorithm drilling utility available: Reverse Scrambler

Thread starter #1
I have created an extremely simplistic utility to help drill algorithms in a new way (unless perhaps someone has already done this before?)

The problem with slide show algorithm drilling is that you don't really know if you executed the algorithm flawlessly and it doesn't teach the real feel of doing AUF's and recognition on a real cube.

The utility I have created works as follows to fix these problems:
1. Use Notepad or Wordpad to create a text file (*.txt) with a list of the algorithms you want to drill. You need to enter the inverse of the algorithms (i.e. if algorithm is R U R' U' F2 U2, then you enter U2 F2 U R U' R'). One inverse algorithm per line (a future version might invert the algorithms for you; would be more convenient; I have included the source code for anyone who wants to add that).

2. Run the utility which is ReverseScrambler.exe. It will ask you for the text file which should be in the same directory as the executable.

3. The utility will parse the file and tell you how many algorithms it found. It will then ask if you would like to randomize (L,R,M) or AUF or neither.

4. Then it will show you random algorithm inverses from the file with appropriate randomized M,L,R,AUF. You take a scrambled cube, follow the scramble on screen, then look at the cube and rapidly recognize/solve the case back to a fully solved cube. Then press the space bar and go on to the next algorithm.

In this fashion you are drilling a REAL cube with REAL cases and you don't know what the actual case is until you look at the cube. If AUF is randomized you will also need to recognize from different angles and so on.

You can find it here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2QnZ3uD6I8kVDUwZl83d05jR2c

The utility is for Windows; it is a basic command line utility; you can right click on the command line window and select 'properties' and increase the font size for convenience.

I included an example algorithm inverse file 'alg1.txt.'

The utility does not currently time your algorithms although this would be a very easy addition; it is primarily used to learn and drill large sets.

I remember writing up something similar to help drill CMLLs. It can be effective, but after a while I reverted to just going down a list with corresponding pictures and drilling them that way. The organized approach felt more deliberate, and I could concentrate practice around algs I struggled with most (though I'm sure you could do similar with your program, kinda like how Anki does)