• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

New 2x2 Method?

soccerking813

I just thought of a new method for the 2x2 cube. It is similar to using the LBL method, but instead of solving an entire face in the first step, you solve 3 of the 4 corners. Then in one algorithm you solve the rest of the cube. I'm not sure exactly how many algorithms this would have, but I was thinking that there would be a total of 7 ways the corners could be oriented, but I am not sure. I am not sure how to figure out how the permutations would work.

I'm not very good at this stuff though, so chances are there are more than I think.

Edit: No, there are more than 7 ways for the corners to be oriented.

Last edited:

Poke

YouTube
Visit Channel
Corner orientations.

5 unsolved corners

would it be
3(5!) for all possible and impossible orientations.
360... but only a certain amount of those are doable.

MistArts

Corner orientations.

5 unsolved corners

would it be

Corner orientations would be:

3^4/3 = 81

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Looking at it like CLS, the C group (basically CLL) has 44 cases, the I and Im groups (one edge flipped in FL) have 48 cases each, and the +, -, and O groups (FL edge in top layer) have 27*4! = 648 cases each (although this can probably be decreased by a factor of 4 if you allow AUFing afterwards, so let's say it's 27*6 = 162 each).

So I count 626 cases - NOT counting mirrors/inverses as the same (counting just mirrors as the same thing would decrease the count by almost half). Given that it's 2x2, learning this might be possible, but I doubt anyone will ever do it, let alone generate all the algs.

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Corner orientations.

5 unsolved corners

would it be

Corner orientations would be:

3^4/3 = 81
Uh-huh.

5!*3^4 = 9720

How many algorithms would be needed?
Depends. You should probably take out a factor of 4 for AUF, and maybe ~2 for mirrors. No matter what you do, it's still a lot.