• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Nevan J's Road to Square-1 NR

Nevan J

WCA
2022JAIN05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey everyone, I created this thread to just to keep up with my cubing updates + getting tips from you guys

Current Average:
- 2x2: Sub-4
- 3x3: Sub-15

My main goals:
- 3x3: Sub-10 (For now, atleast)
- 2x2: Sub - 2 (Probably break NR Average)
- 4x4: Sub - 1 Minute

Personal Bests (Singles):
- 2x2: 1.42
- 3x3: 8.46
- 4x4: 57.42

Approaching Goals (Steps):
- 3x3: 1) Planning 1st F2L Pair
2) Better Lookahead
3) 2-Side PLL Recognition
- 2x2: 1) Better CLL Recognition
2) Full EG-1
3) Anti-CLL

My only goals for now, if I get a new puzzle like 5x5 or Square-One, I would probably update this post. btw I am not really practicing 3BLD and I haven't learnt 4BLD, but i definitely will, just later on because I want to focus on planning 1st pair on 3x3 and grinding 2x2 + 4x4 rn.

I will also be updating my progress on my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3-RXHH6QQ__7aK4_Rs3HaA

Can anyone suggest me that should I start out color neutral with Yau with 4x4?? (Because I just learnt how to solve a 4x4 with Yau)

Last edited:
YouTube
Visit Channel
Can anyone suggest me that should I start out color neutral with Yau with 4x4?? (Because I just learnt how to solve a 4x4 with Yau)
You can be color neutral with yau, but you don't have to. Just sticking with 2 colors is fine. Like I mainly use white, but I also can do yellow. Or even just solving on white is fine. That all you really need with yau.

Nevan J

WCA
2022JAIN05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Do you already know CLL? If yes, EG-1 is actually not harder, even might be easier. A lot of algs are similar (like same alg for the first few moves, then some sort of variation) to each other. The only thing is, a lot of EG-1 algs are annoying to recognize, because they are in different AUFs than the CLL algs.

If you don't know CLL yet, you should learn that first.
Yes, I do know CLL.
But I have a problem with it and it is that I can't seem to get a consistent average of sub-4. I saw Jperm's video and he told that u can be sub-4 with CLL, but seems like I have a lot of problem recognising it. Can anyone pls help

Last edited:

Timona

YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes, I do know CLL.
But I have a problem with it and it is that I can't seem to get a consistent average of sub-4. I saw Jperm's video and he told that u can be sub-4 with CLL, but seems like I have a lot of problem recognising it. Can anyone pls help
It takes practice. You should drill the algs so you can remember the cases and the algs better, but just practice, since you already know the algs. Learning EG-1 should be considerably easier since you already know CLL. Use the same process you used to learn CLL to learn EG-1

Nevan J

WCA
2022JAIN05
YouTube
Visit Channel
You should use a particular way to recognize cases for different sets. For example, you should choose stickers that stand out and are pretty easy to see in the antisune set. Then look at other cases, then see how the other cases are different.

I'm sub-2.6 with CLL, so you can ask me any questions about it.
Thanks! Do u think the algs that jperm showed in his cll vid are good? (or should i learn new ones)

Imsoosm

Thanks! Do u think the algs that jperm showed in his cll vid are good? (or should i learn new ones)
I watched Antonie Paterakis' CLL video (includes alg and fingertricks), he also has videos for EG-1 and EG-2 as well. The only part of the CLL video i don't like was a case which can be solved with F R U R' U' F' but he did R' U' R' F R F' U R.
Aside from that it's a great and informative video.

gsingh

WCA
2019SING33
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey everyone, I created this thread to just to keep up with my cubing updates + getting tips from you guys

Current Average:
- 2x2: Sub-5 to Sub-6
- 3x3: Sub-16 to Sub-17

My main goals:
- 3x3: Sub-10 (For now, atleast)
- 2x2: Sub - 2 (Probably break NR Average)
- 4x4: Sub - 1 Minute

Personal Bests (Singles):
- 2x2: 2.05
- 3x3: 8.46
- 4x4: (Just started out, don't really have any 😐)

Approaching Goals (Steps):
- 3x3: 1) Planning 1st F2L Pair
2) Better Lookahead
3) 2-Side PLL Recognition
- 2x2: 1) Better CLL Recognition
2) Full EG-1
3) Anti-CLL

My only goals for now, if I get a new puzzle like 5x5 or Square-One, I would probably update this post. btw I am not really practicing 3BLD and I haven't learnt 4BLD, but i definitely will, just later on because I want to focus on planning 1st pair on 3x3 and grinding 2x2 + 4x4 rn.

I will also be updating my progress on my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3-RXHH6QQ__7aK4_Rs3HaA

Good Luck!

imretab

WCA
2020TABA01
I want to learn EG-1 on 2x2, anyone got any tips for making it easier?? (I think memorising algs for EG-1 might be harder than CLL idk maybe)
jperm.net
Jperm's own site, it has a alg practice, best part is that you can "cheat", if you don't regocnise the case

turtwig

But i heard u become sub-15 when u plan ur first pair. Is that true? Because I have trash lookahead but good turning speed...
I don't think you can ever say that you'll become sub-X when you learn Y. If you can consistently plan good crosses during inspection, I think you can start trying to plan first pair if you want. It's definitely an important skill I regret not developing more earlier. On the other hand, I'm sub-10 and I don't plan first pair all the time (not sure if I even do it most of the time...), so I don't think it's a requirement for sub-15 or sub-12, etc.

Jaym-er

The only part of the CLL video i don't like was a case which can be solved with F R U R' U' F' but he did R' U' R' F R F' U R.
It's more of a regrip thing. A lot more cases flow smoothly into R' U' R' F R F' U R. Tbh just learn the 4 major algs for this case (they're easily memorisable) and in each scenario pick the one you think you can do faster.

Jaym-er

Many would be good, but I would refer to this:

It contains the most comprehensive list of 2x2 algs currently