• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Nevan J's Road to Square-1 NR

WCA
2020WADH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Which one should I use out of storm,Swift,breeze etc for my rs3m 2021?
And is silk faster or mystic (i know DNM 37 is the fastest lube so should I buy it to use in big cubes?)
Use Breeze, Calm, or Swift for the RS3M 2021.
Mystic cuz silk slow as heck

A mythical land filled with talking Ducks
WCA
2022MCCO11
Use Breeze, Calm, or Swift for the RS3M 2021.
Mystic cuz silk slow as heck
Silk isn't slow though. It does make the cube slower if you add too much (same with any other non-water based lubes) but with the right amount it makes it silky smooth and more fluid. It doesn't react well to every cube so perhaps that's just you but I don't remember Silk slowing down my RS3M2020.

Nevan J

WCA
2022JAIN05
YouTube
Visit Channel
So here's the recap of the competition I went to this weekend

DAY 1

3BLD: I came late to the venue and could not compete in this :( otherwise I could have easily made finals
4x4: First solve had some lockups, but the second solve was... well, it took 30 seconds to fix the lockup. yes. 30 seconds (I think even more than that) which led me to not making cutoff time which is extremely sad as I was getting a lot of sub-1 minute solves during practice before the round

DAY 2

First Rounds

3x3 One Handed: I beat my PR average by 2 seconds! I still got a DNF on one solve, which was because my other hand hit the timer but that's okay
3x3: I beat my PR average by 4 Seconds. YES 4 SECONDS It was crazy. I got a 10 on the first solve, which tbh felt more like a 13, which means I'm improving. Also The Indian NR Holder for 3x3 Single (Aryan Chhabra) judged me on 1 solve lol
2x2: I barely got sub-4, but I am happy as it was sub-4

Second Rounds

3x3: I got a sub-15 average, not the best but still ok
2x2: I locked up sooo bad on the CLL on the last solve and didn't make finals :|

Overall really good results, and I am happy with them :)

Nevan J

WCA
2022JAIN05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey guys, I've started learning how to one look solves on 2x2, and rn, i'm sub-4 with eg-1
so I don't think I can be sub-3 without one looking, if anyone of you are, please tell how are you sub-3 without knowing how to one look. One more thing, should I learn one looking before becoming sub-3? I think I can only get sub-3 global if I one-look

I've watched jperm's tutorial, now I will also watch ram thakkar's video in which he shows all 40 first face cases (should I try to one look them by myself, or by using the tricks he shows?) and lastly I will also watch will callan's video on one looking

WCA
2020WADH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey guys, I've started learning how to one look solves on 2x2, and rn, i'm sub-4 with eg-1
so I don't think I can be sub-3 without one looking, if anyone of you are, please tell how are you sub-3 without knowing how to one look. One more thing, should I learn one looking before becoming sub-3? I think I can only get sub-3 global if I one-look

I've watched jperm's tutorial, now I will also watch ram thakkar's video in which he shows all 40 first face cases (should I try to one look them by myself, or by using the tricks he shows?) and lastly I will also watch will callan's video on one looking
I'm sub 3.1 with CLL and I only one-look one or two move layers.
Tip: watch Ram Thakkar @Ram
lol

Imsoosm

I'm sub 3.1 with CLL and I only one-look one or two move layers.
8. (1.22)
y x' // inspection
U' R U' R2 F R U2 // solve, one-looked
lol isn't this a 4 move face

But anyway, I average 2.4-2.5 with CLL and a little bit of EG-1 (maybe like 6-7 algs idk). Just grind your recognition and have faster tps, and make more efficient faces. Especially if you're using EG-1, the faecs are usually only 3-5 moves (6 moves rarely), so faces would be much faster than CLL. My CLL layers at most take 8-9 moves with decent fingertricks.

Also grind your tps. And as I've said before, do some splits of your 2x2 solves, and do a few more solves and check their tps, and send the splits and the tps through here so we can evaluate your situation.

Also, if you got to sub-3 with one-looking + EG-1/CLL, it'll be very hard to improve beyond that... So it's best if you improve with the things you currently have.

Imsoosm

Did you do the 2x2 splits and tps checks?

And yes, xcross is considered fullstep because non-fullstep solves skip a step, and one pair of F2L isn't the whole F2l.

Nevan J

WCA
2022JAIN05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I couldn't do an ao12 because I have to study but here are the splits + tps (I had to calculate the tps after each solve)

Generated By csTimer on 2022-09-21
avg of 5: 3.47

Time List:
1. (2.94=0.60+2.34[4.76]) F R2 F2 U F' R F' R U' TPS 4.76
2. (4.63=0.91+3.71[3.88]) R U' R2 F R' U' F2 R2 F' TPS 3.88
3. 4.26=0.65+3.61[4.46] U R2 U2 F R' U R' U' F' TPS 4.46
4. 3.20=0.85+2.35[6.56] R2 U' F' U R2 F2 U' F' U' TPS 6.56
5. 2.95=0.71+2.23[5.42] R' F2 R' F' R2 F R' U2 F TPS 5.42

also I had to delete some solves as I forgot to to splits

Imsoosm

All right, your layers look pretty decent, all sub-1. I know hitting the space bar would slow down your solves a bit, so I'll subtract 0.2-0.3 from the CLL/EG-1 split. First, here's a question. Can you sub-1 most of the CLL/EG-1 algs? If you can, you really need to improve on recognition, since it's taking you about a second, sometimes maybe 2 seconds to recognize the case. If you can't sub-1 your algs, then work on your turning speed. Drill your algs until you can sub-1 most of them, then work on recog.

If you have time, also do some CLL/EG-1 alg drilling sessions, go to the 2x2x2 under ===WCA=== then choose EG0 and EG1

Nevan J

WCA
2022JAIN05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Um tbh idk about the sub-1 layers because some of the scrambles were kind of lucky

Also no i cannot sub-1 most CLL and EG-1 algs also i still use those from jperm's video which has mirrored algs so are they ok because idk if i can sub-1 the lefty algs

Edit: should I do a session in which i only do faces to check how fast i consistently do my faces?

Imsoosm

Um tbh idk about the sub-1 layers because some of the scrambles were kind of lucky

Also no i cannot sub-1 most CLL and EG-1 algs also i still use those from jperm's video which has mirrored algs so are they ok because idk if i can sub-1 the lefty algs

Edit: should I do a session in which i only do faces to check how fast i consistently do my faces?
Yeah, do an ao25 on both face/layers session and do another two ao25s on CLL and EG-1

You gotta drill your algs bro, you should at least be able to sub-1 80% of the algs in CLL and maybe 50% of algs in EG-1.

hyn

SS Competition Results
All right, your layers look pretty decent, all sub-1. I know hitting the space bar would slow down your solves a bit, so I'll subtract 0.2-0.3 from the CLL/EG-1 split. First, here's a question. Can you sub-1 most of the CLL/EG-1 algs? If you can, you really need to improve on recognition, since it's taking you about a second, sometimes maybe 2 seconds to recognize the case. If you can't sub-1 your algs, then work on your turning speed. Drill your algs until you can sub-1 most of them, then work on recog.

If you have time, also do some CLL/EG-1 alg drilling sessions, go to the 2x2x2 under ===WCA=== then choose EG0 and EG1
I also did that (not EG1)
1.01 for the faces and 1.7 ao25 for the CLLs, which means that the 1.3 is recognition and pickup-putdown, as it was with keyboard. There were quite a few repeated lucky cases for the CLLs tho
Edit: Also @Nevan J if u just constantly think about turning fast during layers/faces it helps a bit