• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Need help to adjust my FIII cube for speedcubing

Status
Not open for further replies.

rudra

1.I have been cubing since two months. I only used Rubik's brand cube in this period. But with Rubik's cube I can't cube for long times. After around 30 solves my wrist, finger hurt. So I decided to buy FIII. I was expecting that my average would be dropped. To my surprise my current average of 12 which is 47 sec increased by 5 sec.

I felt the cube very loose so I tightened it. But it creates more lockup cases. When the cube is tensioned loose , I can't hold the cube. Pieces seem like falling apart. It's hard to solve the cube holding like this . Also with reduced tension lockups are less. But It's like holding a very delicate thing. I have no idea what should I do? I spent my last two days finding the right tension. I followed pestvic's video then camcuber's. But nothing helped me. Please help me guys. I feel like I will never be a speedcuber.

2. Also I never used other cubes except Rubik's brand one. Does every cube feel like this?

P.S. Whenever I am seeing the Sheng En owner's picture in the cube's box, I am getting angry.

sneaklyfox

WCA
2013HUNG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
1. FIII sucks. Some people would say it's a piece of junk.
2. No, other cubes do not all feel like the FIII. FII is good but just get a Dayan. Guhong v1 or v2, Zhanchi, or Lingyun v2 all seem to be top choices with different feel. You can't go wrong with a Dayan.

Edit: Note about Dayans... make sure you have some good lube for it. I recommend lubix or traxxas. For more on lubrication, check out the Lubrication Thread.

Last edited:

bluecloe45

WCA
2010COHE03
YouTube
Visit Channel
1.I have been cubing since two months. I only used Rubik's brand cube in this period. But with Rubik's cube I can't cube for long times. After around 30 solves my wrist, finger hurt. So I decided to buy FIII. I was expecting that my average would be dropped. To my surprise my current average of 12 which is 47 sec increased by 5 sec.

I felt the cube very loose so I tightened it. But it creates more lockup cases. When the cube is tensioned loose , I can't hold the cube. Pieces seem like falling apart. It's hard to solve the cube holding like this . Also with reduced tension lockups are less. But It's like holding a very delicate thing. I have no idea what should I do? I spent my last two days finding the right tension. I followed pestvic's video then camcuber's. But nothing helped me. Please help me guys. I feel like I will never be a speedcuber.

2. Also I never used other cubes except Rubik's brand one. Does every cube feel like this?

P.S. Whenever I am seeing the Sheng En owner's picture in the cube's box, I am getting angry.

Just buy a big cube from him and you will smile when you look at him.

rudra

1. FIII sucks. Some people would say it's a piece of junk.
2. No, other cubes do not all feel like the FIII. FII is good but just get a Dayan. Guhong v1 or v2, Zhanchi, or Lingyun v2 all seem to be top choices with different feel. You can't go wrong with a Dayan.

Edit: Note about Dayans... make sure you have some good lube for it. I recommend lubix or traxxas. For more on lubrication, check out the Lubrication Thread.

It seems everyone is advising me to get a new cube. But I just bought the FIII. I can't buy any new cubes now. Please give some advice to make the FIII better or usable.

sneaklyfox

WCA
2013HUNG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It seems everyone is advising me to get a new cube. But I just bought the FIII. I can't buy any new cubes now. Please give some advice to make the FIII better or usable.

Ok then. If you must use your FIII even when it's bad...
1. Tensioning - Too tight will lock up so loosen it. It will feel flimsy. That's just how it is so get used to it. If it really bugs you, tighten it a bit but not so much that you lock too much. In other words, tension it to be the least annoying for you. It should be able to do some corner cutting. You'll have to experiment to get all sides more or less the same.
2. Lubricating - I'm not an expert on this as I have never lubed my FIII but you could try CRC Silicone. Anyone else have a better suggestion for the FIII? I think something not too pricey is good for that cube.

Or your other option is to go back to your Rubik's brand cube and mod it. People have used sand to smooth out the inside a bit so it turns easier. Then also lube it. Clicky.

rudra

Ok then. If you must use your FIII even when it's bad...
1. Tensioning - Too tight will lock up so loosen it. It will feel flimsy. That's just how it is so get used to it. If it really bugs you, tighten it a bit but not so much that you lock too much. In other words, tension it to be the least annoying for you. It should be able to do some corner cutting. You'll have to experiment to get all sides more or less the same.
2. Lubricating - I'm not an expert on this as I have never lubed my FIII but you could try CRC Silicone. Anyone else have a better suggestion for the FIII? I think something not too pricey is good for that cube.

Or your other option is to go back to your Rubik's brand cube and mod it. People have used sand to smooth out the inside a bit so it turns easier. Then also lube it. Clicky.

About getting a new cube. I don't want to buy zhanchi or guhong right now. What do you think abut ghost hand or shengshou?

Tyjet66

YouTube
Visit Channel
About getting a new cube. I don't want to buy zhanchi or guhong right now. What do you think abut ghost hand or shengshou?

Honestly, your best bet is to just invest a few extra dollars and get a Zhanchi or Guhong. I personally don't like either Ghost Hand or Shengshou 3x3s, but of course it comes to personal preference.

rudra

Honestly, your best bet is to just invest a few extra dollars and get a Zhanchi or Guhong. I personally don't like either Ghost Hand or Shengshou 3x3s, but of course it comes to personal preference.

1.After using Rubik's brand one, when I held the FIII . It was like I can't hold the cube steadily. Is that going to happen also with zhanchi/guhong?

2. Do you recommend me to buy guhong/zhanchi? Beacause I'm just a beginner.

3. I used a oil based lube with my Rubik's brand which made it gummy. Though It was not the best cube. But I'm used to like the gummy feel. Also I don't like the noises FIII was making all the time. So zhanchi or Guhong v2? Which one do you think will suit me best?

sneaklyfox

WCA
2013HUNG01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Well I thought you weren't going to buy any cubes at all. But when you do, don't get Ghost Hand or SS. SS is good for 4x4 and up (big cubes). For 3x3, Dayans are top of the line. Though, if you like more solid feel, Guhong is better than Zhanchi. I might even recommend a Dayan Lunhui. At your speed, Zhanchi might be a little hard to control. It's awesome when you're fast and if you can get used to it, but might frustrate you in the meantime because you're used to Rubik's brand. (And you don't really want to go from one frustration to another.) I went from Rubik's brand to Guhong v1. It takes getting used to as well but I think it would be harder to jump to Zhanchi. My Lunhui is more solid feeling than either Guhong or Zhanchi.

Edit: Adding a comment about noise. Yes, FIII is very crunchy and loud. Zhanchi is clicky instead of crunchy but has a fair amount of noise. Guhong is quieter. Lunhui even more quiet and smooth.

Last edited:

rudra

Well I thought you weren't going to buy any cubes at all. But when you do, don't get Ghost Hand or SS. SS is good for 4x4 and up (big cubes). For 3x3, Dayans are top of the line. Though, if you like more solid feel, Guhong is better than Zhanchi. I might even recommend a Dayan Lunhui. At your speed, Zhanchi might be a little hard to control. It's awesome when you're fast and if you can get used to it, but might frustrate you in the meantime because you're used to Rubik's brand. (And you don't really want to go from one frustration to another.) I went from Rubik's brand to Guhong v1. It takes getting used to as well but I think it would be harder to jump to Zhanchi. My Lunhui is more solid feeling than either Guhong or Zhanchi.

Thank you all guys. I think I will buy Guhong V2 (white).

MarcelP

WCA
2012POOT01
YouTube
Visit Channel

rudra

So much for the first two statements. White Guhong v2. Good choice. You will love it.

You guys changed my mind. At first I thought I will not buy any cube. Then also I rememebered that I spent my last two days for adjusting the FIII. I don't want to spend more time on it or any other cubes which may be bad.

I will go with a safe cube.

When you got your first speedcube , did it cause you some problem? Did your average improved?

sneaklyfox

WCA
2013HUNG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Still.. I would get a Zhanchi if I where you. The worldrecord 5.66 is with Zhanchi. You sound serious about getting faster. I have 3 Guhungs and a few more Zhanchi's. All my Zhanchi's are faster than my Guhongs. Here you can buy a Zhanchi including free shipping worldwide for just 9$:

http://www.speedsolving.com/forum/showthread.php?39703-The-cheapest-Zhanchi-out-there!

Well yes, the Zhanchi is faster. But moving faster does not necessarily mean solving faster. I just don't think rudra would appreciate going from one frustrating cube to another cube that has the potential of being frustrating (unintentional turns, less solid feel). Anyway, he said he likes the gummy thing. To me, Zhanchi is just wicked insane fast.

Just so you know, the link is for a 55mm Zhanchi. 57mm is regular size.

When you got your first speedcube , did it cause you some problem? Did your average improved?

I was at about 36 second average when I switched from Rubik's brand to Guhong v1 (about Feb 2012). My average only improved slightly at first. It took a few days to get used to the new cube. Then my times got better. I still use the Guhong lots.

Last edited:

rudra

Well yes, the Zhanchi is faster. But moving faster does not necessarily mean solving faster. I just don't think rudra would appreciate going from one frustrating cube to another cube that has the potential of being frustrating (unintentional turns, less solid feel). Anyway, he said he likes the gummy thing. To me, Zhanchi is just wicked insane fast.

Just so you know, the link is for a 55mm Zhanchi. 57mm is regular size.

Totally agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.