• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Need help in 5x5x5 cube edge pairing

Neutrals01

WCA
2009JOON01
YouTube
Neutrals0
Hmm...after pairing up 8 tredges... I store the solved tredges 4 on upper and 4 on bottom face..then the remaining 4 tredges to be solved at the middle layer(FL, FR, BR, BL)..I usually take lots of time for this part because there isn't any more place for me to store my tredges and it usually takes 2~4 mins+ just for this part...hmm..any tips on how to improve this part?(I watched some videos and read threads but many uses diff method from what I do.)

Btw I am still quite slow with 5x5, average around 8~10 mins(centres avg 2mins,8 tredges avg 3mins,last 4 tredges 2~4mins,3x3 around 40+ secs)..most of the times are taken at the last 4 tredges..really have to improve my 5x5, my 4x4 avg 3mins...I see a big problem here..5x5 slower than 4x4 by around 6 mins..

Last edited:

Neutrals01

WCA
2009JOON01
YouTube
Neutrals0
I watched some videos and read threads but many uses diff method from what I do.)
well since what you are using now is slow, maybe you should learn one of those methods...
not exactly that slow...I just switched from another method(much slower) to this method after watching yu nakajima's youtube video...but I do not understand how he pair up the last 4 tredges because he shows some example solves(and he turns quite fast without explaning properly<just pointing>)...so I post this to find out how exactly to solve the remaining 4 tredges without breaking up the previous tredges..

Last edited:

Cerberus

WCA
2007CHRI03
YouTube
Cerb1987
at that method he cares about the "permutation" of the 1x3 blocks so he can simply turn like u2 d' to restore the centers and there he is planning that this moves will also form 2 more tredges and leave him with just 2 to do, I just tried it once and it was nasty but now I just thought about it and maybe I should do 2/3 of two and then restore 2/3 of the centers, so the last step will be pretty easy too. I will do it now and then edit this post.

works good, but it needs training like everything.

Oh and btw: I use eriks/arnauds method for the last 4 tredges or often for all 12, it depens on my mood ^^

Last edited:

jonny guitar

I pair up approx 8 (sometimes 7) and put them on top and bottom, set centers correct and then put 2 complete tredges on the back edges . I then solve the remainder Avgalen method that he has in the tutorial section which allows for pretty much one type of parity fix. It seems to me to be the fastest way that I can do it because it has the benifits of both methods....however I ain't no screaming speed demon on the 5x5.

DavidWoner

The Punchmaster
WCA
2008WONE01
YouTube
vault312
I pair up approx 8 (sometimes 7) and put them on top and bottom, set centers correct and then put 2 complete tredges on the back edges . I then solve the remainder Avgalen method that he has in the tutorial section which allows for pretty much one type of parity fix. It seems to me to be the fastest way that I can do it because it has the benifits of both methods....however I ain't no screaming speed demon on the 5x5.
yeah this is actually what i would recommend, since avg/double edge pairing is fastest when there are only a few incomplete tredges. it makes look-ahead a lot easier.

i think my double edge pairing is different from most people's, i know it is different from erik's at least. he makes one pair, which breaks the centers, then inserts then restores the centers, making the second pair. i do all my setups before breaking centers, then perform one intuitive "alg"(+ mirror) to pair both. i think it makes lookahead a little easier since i can search while performing the "alg". i am best at this on 4x4, where i average about 25 sec for edges. my 5x5 edges are significantly slower(about 80 sec) because i never practice and lookahead is different when there are centers to pair against.

however, the placement of the incomplete tredges depends on your buffer slot and whether you pair on M or E. i pair on M with UF as my buffer, so i place the last 4 at UF, UB, RF/RB, and LF/LB, which insures the fewest setup moves if you do inital setup properly.