• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Nautilus: A versatile 3x3 method

Athefre

Here are cll algs for the cx variant. These algs preserve EO and ignore the FR and FD edge.CXCOLL

Nice! I'll add this link to the site and credit you. Thank you for putting this together. I've been busy with other projects so this is very helpful!

Athefre

There have been some updates to the method. L5E is now the primary variant. The site has been updated accordingly. There is now a new Steps tab that goes over the steps of the L5E variant. The L5E variant has also been slightly modified to have the goal of blockbuilding the dbr 2x2x2 and dFR pair as one step. dbr 2x2x2 then dFR pair is efficient, but it is also sometimes best to solve the blocks in a different order. The L5E page also contains a simplified and intermediate option so that users can have a low alg count option and a way to progress towards advanced L5E. The rest of the Nautilus variants are all contained in the Other Variants tab.

PetraPine

YouTube
Visit Channel
There have been some updates to the method. L5E is now the primary variant. The site has been updated accordingly. There is now a new Steps tab that goes over the steps of the L5E variant. The L5E variant has also been slightly modified to have the goal of blockbuilding the dbr 2x2x2 and dFR pair as one step. dbr 2x2x2 then dFR pair is efficient, but it is also sometimes best to solve the blocks in a different order. The L5E page also contains a simplified and intermediate option so that users can have a low alg count option and a way to progress towards advanced L5E. The rest of the Nautilus variants are all contained in the Other Variants tab.
I do wish one of the other variants came out on top
(like eo>square>LL)
the L5E variant (not accounting for the new algs) is quite the non-unique method, just a restrictive way of doing russo which honestly is quite a meh method.
I don't see why you like L5E so much?
It completely ruins what I found interesting in the first place (last square and eo)
just got a decent single on cam, didn't want to put it in another message:

Last edited:

Athefre

I do wish one of the other variants came out on top
(like eo>square>LL)
the L5E variant (not accounting for the new algs) is quite the non-unique method, just a restrictive way of doing russo which honestly is quite a meh method.
I don't see why you like L5E so much?
It completely ruins what I found interesting in the first place (last square and eo)
just got a decent single on cam, didn't want to put it in another message:

I'm not throwing away the LL variant. It's still there at the top. And it certainly is a unique way to get to ZBLL. We can have more than one main variant. So users can still choose based on their preference. Everyone can debate which variant they think is best.

I chose to present L5E as the main variant on the site because the move-count is the same as or slightly lower than the ZBLL variant and it has the most potential for move-count improvement through the use of pseudo techniques. The L5E variant also has the most unique ending with L5E. Many methods end in ZBLL.

As for Russo and HK, Nautilus came first. And those two methods are pretty much saying "build this block however you want", which is strange.

Athefre

Development updates:

New Variant:

There has been a cool new variant proposed by trangium called EOFE. In this variant, after the shell all edges are oriented while solving the DF + FR edges. Then option select is used to orient the corners to where the final step is TTLL+, TTLL-, or PLL. Regular TTLL has worse algs than TTLL+, TTLL-, and PLL, so that set is avoided within the option select. We are also working on additional sub-variants for EOFE such as reducing to L3C.

EOFE:
1. 1x2x3 at dL
2. 2x2x2 at dbr
3. Orient all edges while solving the DF and FR edges
4. Using option select orient all corners to a TTLL+, TTLL-, or PLL case
5. Finish with the TTLL+, TTLL-, or PLL algorithm.

CP Nautilus:

CP first methods have gained some popularity recently. Each of them get to the CPEO2x2x3 state. I suggested that Nautilus could be a good alternative. For a more traditional CP first method, the steps would be:

1. CPFB
2. 2x2x2 at dbr
3. EO + DF edge
4. LSLL

This variant avoids having to recognize edge orientation of so many edges compared to previous CP methods. I also had the realization that CP can provide more benefits than just reducing to 2GLL. CP can greatly reduce the number of cases for other types of steps. So when CP Nautilus is used, each of the variants see a huge reduction in the number of algorithms required to learn and now some steps can even be combined. For example, trangium proposed setting up the FR edge to DF or FR then solve all corners + the FR edge then end with L5E. This would combine the dFR pair and CLL step of the L5E variant. Other variants receive the same kind of benefits and likely new CP-based variants can be discovered.

Blockbuilding Examples:

The website has been updated to include more blockbuilding strategies and examples. It covers the 2x2x2 and the 2x2x2 + dFR shape and the various ways in which they can be built. One goal is to create a blockbuilding sheet that provides solutions to many cases for each of the blockbuilding strategies.

Last edited:

Athefre

Website updated. A tab for the LL variant and a tab for the EOFE variant has been added. The purpose is to make the identity of the method more clear. To make the other variants stand out more. L5E is a great variant, but isn't the only great one.

L5E Variant: Low move-count, works perfectly with pseudo.
LL Variant: Low move-count method for reaching ZBLL (or just LL), very unique step of solving the full empty square.
EOFE Variant: Allows for many sub-variants, incorporates option select with great recognition.

LBr

WCA
2022FOGG01
which variant do you think is the best for oh, and what would your top tips be if, say, I switched to it for oh?

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
which variant do you think is the best for oh, and what would your top tips be if, say, I switched to it for oh?
I would guess the l5e approach would be best for OH if you don't wanna have to learn a lot of ZBLL. Most of the l5e algs look pretty good for OH if you use table abuse for MU

voidrx

I would guess the l5e approach would be best for OH if you don't wanna have to learn a lot of ZBLL. Most of the l5e algs look pretty good for OH if you use table abuse for MU
Actually the LSLL variant, more specifically, the EODF->CLPS->2GLL is considered OO with L5E very slightly behind for OH

Reactions: LBr

Chemnitz

Void has requested that I address some curiosity about OH Nautilus. I am the fastest person, to our knowledge, who seriously uses OH Nautilus. Here's my two cents:

On Nautilus:
If you want to switch to Nautilus completely, learn L5E. The alg count for 2 look L5E is low and the Nautilus community has developed several intermediate methods for learning full L5E. L5E is also near the top for OH, so having this one variant is sufficient to be quite good at 2H and OH.

On OH Nautilus:
The OH situation is a bit odd, as we have several variants that could be quite good and a few that are completely unviable (Looking at you, CX). Based on my experience with OH and my understanding/testing of each variant, albeit in their most intuitive forms, this is the conclusion I have come to: If you want just an OH method and plan to keep a different method for 2H, L5E is not the best. Here are my rankings of the most viable OH variants for Nautilus:

Clear Winner:

CPLS aka Corner Permutation Last Slot (Specific path for Last Slot Last Layer variant):
Shell
Edge Orientation + DF edge (Mostly intuitive, I would argue there are less than 10 cases worth learning algs for)
CPLS (Identical to ZZ's CPLS, solve the FR pair while permuting corners. RUL and RUD with a few decent RUF algs. Around 100 cases)
2GLL (84 ZBLLs, RU gen)

Runner Ups:

L5E aka Last Five Edges:
Shell
FR Pair
NCLL (42 algs)
L5E (245 algs)

EOFE aka Edge Orientation Front Edges:
Shell
EO + F2L edges
Finish (Several paths, CPLS -> 2GLL looking best for OH)

Starters (not the best, used while learning their advanced forms):

L5E2 aka Two Look Last Five Edges:
Shell
FR Pair
NCLL (Still 42 algs)
L5EO (Intuitive)
L5EP(16 algs)

CPInsert aka Corner Permutation during Insert (LSLL path):
Shell
EO+DF (Less than 10 algs)
Setup to 3 move insert CPLS
CPLS (few LS cases)
2GLL (84 cases)

voidrx

On average which is more efficient for 2-look L5E, inserting DF and then ELL or EO followed by L5EP? I understand that there are plenty of cases where one would be more efficient I just want to know which is better on average.
EO+L5EP.